Simulate Guitar Chords and Strumming using Sonar

Author
ontime
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 46
2010/12/30 11:27:28 (permalink)

Simulate Guitar Chords and Strumming using Sonar

I have Sonar Producer 8.5 and X1, a nice keyboard, and a wealth of "guitar" sounds at my fingertips. But what I'd like to do is simulate a rhythm guitar in a relatively simple fashion.

There are many standard guitar chords.. E maj, E min, A maj, D maj, etc. Is there a relatively straightforward way of telling Sonar I want a E maj 7 or a A min chord and paste that into a MIDI track? Then send that to a "guitar" sound and I've just eliminated the need for George Harrison.. right?

How do others simulate a rhythm guitar track without a guitar at their disposal? I was thinking how great it would be to put Bomboleo down as a MIDI track!
post edited by ontime - 2010/12/30 13:20:14

12 Replies Related Threads

Garry Stubbs
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2619
    Re:Simulate Guitar Chords and Strumming using Sonar 2010/12/30 11:41:06 (permalink)
    You really need a VST like RealGuitar or Realstrat, with full key control over strumming patterns and variations.

Without using any external tools, I have had very effective success using Martin acoustic patches in DimPro in combination with the in-track Sonar MIDI arpeggiator.

Sorry I cant provide links to the tracks at this time, but they are part of a collaboration project associated to an album release in 2011.
    post edited by The Kiosk Project - 2010/12/30 11:43:32

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
    Rain
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9736
    Re:Simulate Guitar Chords and Strumming using Sonar 2010/12/30 11:51:28 (permalink)
    First thing I could think of... http://www.musiclab.com/products/rh_ch_info.htm

If I understand correctly, this'll let you pick chords and strumming pattern. Never used it as I play guitar, but I seem to recall Cakewalk bundling a lite version of it w/ earlier incarnations of Sonar - which is why I remembered the name I guess.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
    Garry Stubbs
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2619
    Re:Simulate Guitar Chords and Strumming using Sonar 2010/12/30 12:03:15 (permalink)
    Yeah, Musiclab is the developer of RealGuitar and RealStrat. I play guitar too but occasionally I wheel out RealStrat in a project for some backing guitar sounds that just fit nicely in the mix

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
    Jesse G
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4282
    Re:Simulate Guitar Chords and Strumming using Sonar 2010/12/30 12:06:18 (permalink)
    +1 for real Guitar

I use Real Guitar by Music lab and it's the closest I can come to a true guitar sound without having a physical guitar in my hand.  I love this software.

Peace

Peace,
    Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
    ==============================
    Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
    Katie_Katie
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 557
    Re:Simulate Guitar Chords and Strumming using Sonar 2010/12/30 12:11:30 (permalink)
    "How do others simulate a rhythm guitar track with a guitar at their disposal?"

Not meaning to be flippant, but if you have a real guitar, record same.  Get a SM57 and EQ it for a nice sound from a acoustic guitar.  For a Strat or Tele, just plug it in and run it through the included Guitar Rig.  But, you will need to clean up the output of Guitar Rig with some selective EQ dips with narrow Qs (else it is harsh and tinny). 

But, to expand on that answer, I have done the following with results ranging from ok to wonderful.

1. Create clips for each chord (recorded from a real guitar).  Create strum ups, strum downs, finger picking, base notes and chords, well, you get the idea.  Then, save them as intelligent clips and move them around to your pleasure.  IF the clip is good quality, then you will be able to change tempo and key.  I had to do this for a pedal steel guitar - trust me, there is no synth that can duplicate a pedal steel guitar.  I was lucky enough to have Buddy Charlton (Hall of Famer) lay down some clips for me. 
    2. Use a Midi Guitar setup.  The Roland gear, for me, provides the best results.  And their Midi wind stuff is great.  Yamaha has an air device for their keyboards as well.
    3. Use a Synth Instrument like Music Lab's Real Guitar.  This is actually a nice piece of software to generate scratch tracks. And, you can configure your keyboard to strum the key/strings (keyboard C through B if I recall).

Over the years I've tried to simulate the real thing, but other than a true electronic instrument (synth or organ), nothing comes close to the real thing.   The synth instruments are nice for getting an idea down and then creating score sheets for a live session. 

Good luck with your guitar sessions.

Katherine

Katherine  

Zuma
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 525
    Re:Simulate Guitar Chords and Strumming using Sonar 2010/12/30 12:19:56 (permalink)
    Don't leave out Electri6ty. Pretty amazing software for pulling off a real sounding guit with your controller.

http://zumajunction.bandcamp.com/

"the bus came by and I got on that's when it all began. There was cowboy Neal at the wheel of a bus to never ever land."_

Rain
    • Total Posts : 9736
    Re:Simulate Guitar Chords and Strumming using Sonar 2010/12/30 12:21:47 (permalink)
    The Kiosk Project

Without using any external tools, I have had very effective success using Martin acoustic patches in DimPro in combination with the in-track Sonar MIDI arpeggiator.

Those Martin patches aren't that bad, uh? :) Used them for quick overdubs (arpeggiated stuff) and they brought a nice finishing touch to those somewhat dull sounding acoustic parts which had been recorded in less than ideal conditions.
    post edited by Rain - 2010/12/30 12:22:52

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
    garrigus
    • Total Posts : 8599
    Re:Simulate Guitar Chords and Strumming using Sonar 2010/12/30 12:24:13 (permalink)
    Vir2 Acoustic Legends for acoustic guitar and Vir2 Electri6ity for electric guitar. They are a bit expensive, but also two of the best guitar virtual instruments on the market.

Scott

--
    Scott R. Garrigus - Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series. Get Sonar X1 Power - Today! Go to: http://www.garrigus.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq - free music technology newsletter. Win a free SoundTech Vocal Trainer Package, go to: http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

Publisher of NewTechReview - free consumer technology newsletter. Win a free i2i Stream Wireless Music Pack, go to: http://www.newtechreview.com/newtechreview/
    ontime
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 46
    Re:Simulate Guitar Chords and Strumming using Sonar 2010/12/30 13:21:14 (permalink)
    Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry that I made a mistake in my post, I've since corrected.. I meant without a guitar..
    jimkleban
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1319
    Re:Simulate Guitar Chords and Strumming using Sonar 2010/12/30 13:29:48 (permalink)
    Katie....

I use a MIDI guitar setup for my MIDI guitar work... however, I have found that the AXON does a much better job tracking the midi notes (AXON is now out of business so good luck finding one of these units).

The other trick is to only use samples in which each string is it's own program.. that is, the low end string sampled all frets.. that way when you play bar chords or do leads, the correct sample matching the fret board will trigger.

It's not an easy thing to do but it works.  Before anybody starts telling me just record a real guitar (which is a good point), simply put, I have a need to have the GUITAR parts in MIDI (and there are quite a few benefits of having the guitar parts in midi).

Unfortunately, there really isn't a good solution (yet) for creating guitar parts using MIDI but I have found the above method to give the best (most realistic) results. You can control the speed of slides, vibrato etc to make the guitar parts glue to the music.

Jim

The Lamb Laid Down on MIDI
    www.lldom.com

Studio Cat Custom i7 with Thunderbolt (wonderful system built and configured by our own Jim R)
    Apollo Duo (via TB)
    UAD Quad
    UAD Duo
    WIN 8.1 x64 with 32 GB Ram
    4 SSD for programs and sample libraries
    Splat (latest version)
    bayoubill
    • Total Posts : 10899
    Re:Simulate Guitar Chords and Strumming using Sonar 2010/12/30 13:30:14 (permalink)
    Hi Peter. There are many great musicians here on the forums that play guitar and can help do and experiment with parts as needed. Collaboration is what I love about the forums because it helps you learn so much in the process. Something I thought I throw at you if it hasn't come up yet. Good luck in either case!

SWAMP MUSIC
    Sonar PLATINUM        
    Studio Cat DAW

Twigman
    Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3667
    Re:Simulate Guitar Chords and Strumming using Sonar 2010/12/30 19:03:04 (permalink)
    i've now got Orange Tree Evolution Electric Guitar Strawberry......It's AMAZING!!!

Become a Fan on Facebook
    Buy our stuff on iTunes
    Q9550-P5QL-E-8GB1066RAM-GT9800 1GB-RME HDSP9632-W7Prox64-X2x64
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1