Single midi track to multiple soft Synth

Author
fgelinas
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 61
2009/02/11 15:29:26 (permalink)

Single midi track to multiple soft Synth

I have a single midi track. I'd like to trigger 2 or 3 different software synth at once. I can set the output of the midi track to only 1 soft synth. My current workaround is to clone the midi track and make to clone trigger the other synth. Then, whenever I do a change to the midi track, I need to delete the cloned track and clone again.

Is there an easier way to trigger multiple synths from a single midi track?

Fred.

7 Replies Related Threads

juca
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: Single midi track to multiple soft Synth 2009/02/11 16:03:13 (permalink)
    When you make the copy procedure, at the Drag and Drop Options box select "Copy Entire Clips as Linked Clips" and press Ok. So, the copied clip(s) will be linked to the original clip(s). Any change you make in the original clip(s) will be reflected in the linked (copied) clip(s).
    Greetings.

****** Juca Nascimento ******
    Keyboards/Composer/Arranger

Jonbouy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Single midi track to multiple soft Synth 2009/02/11 18:41:22 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: fgelinas

I have a single midi track. I'd like to trigger 2 or 3 different software synth at once. I can set the output of the midi track to only 1 soft synth. My current workaround is to clone the midi track and make to clone trigger the other synth. Then, whenever I do a change to the midi track, I need to delete the cloned track and clone again.

Is there an easier way to trigger multiple synths from a single midi track?

Fred.

Yes, it requires a little bit of setting up though.

Here's a thread by 'b rock' on the subject...

http://forum.cakewalk.com/fb.asp?m=1573767

It's a lot easier than it looks too.
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2009/02/11 18:46:56

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    fgelinas
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 61
    RE: Single midi track to multiple soft Synth 2009/02/11 18:46:49 (permalink)
    The virtual midi cable is exactly what I was looking for.

How come I didn't find this post in my search? Anyway...

Thanks.
    dreamkeeper
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2141
    RE: Single midi track to multiple soft Synth 2009/02/11 19:46:18 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: fgelinas

The virtual midi cable is exactly what I was looking for.

Be aware though, that you can't use fast bounce with that. Not sure about realtime bounce/freeze...

Here's a way to keep it all inside Sonar:

- insert a plug-in like this as a synth
    - enable MIDI-output for the plug on the synth rack
    - choose your controller as input
    - on your synths' MIDI tracks choose the MIDI plug-in as track input
    - enable input echo on all those MIDI tracks

The MIDI plug-in serves as a hub to send the MIDI to the other tracks. You'll have to deal with only this one track to record to and for editing. Note that the events are mirrored to all MIDI tracks, so don't use "input-omni" on any one. Basically you can use any plug-in that outputs the MIDI events that are sent to it.

If you use the plug I've linked to above (it's very light on CPU and has accurate timing), default settings will do. Don't delete the associated audio track - although it doesn't output anything, it's needed to "connect" the MIDI plug internally.

If you go the MidiYoke (or whatever virtual MIDI cable) route, be careful not to set up a MIDI feedback loop. So the same advice about not using "input-omni" applies. At least set the inputs of those tracks that output to MidiYoke to an unused device ("none" will always revert to "omni" as soon as input echo is enabled - Sonar 6; might have changed in 7 or 8). HTH

werner

"... must've been another of my dreams ..."
    Bigdogs
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 378
    Re: RE: Single midi track to multiple soft Synth 2010/07/22 11:43:55 (permalink)
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but it seems like the best way to explain what I want to do.

Having tried both methods above and got them to work (at least in terms of having my 2 synths respond to a single midi track), I find that it's not obvious how to bounce to audio. Freeze doesn't work (in the midimung method in post #5, freeze is clickable, but the audio doesn't contain any signal)

I've managed to grab audio by inserting guitar rig on a bus and using the tape record function, but this seems a bit long winded.

Any suggestions as to how to grab the audio from either a virtual midi cable setup or the midimung method, or is there another way to achieve this?

Sonar Platinum 64 bit, Windows 10 64 bit, i5 4670K Haswell Processor,  4.2GHz, 8Gb RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, AMD Radeon R7 260X, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 1000GB 7200RPM Hard Disk     
    Twigman
    Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3667
    Re: RE: Single midi track to multiple soft Synth 2010/07/22 12:02:11 (permalink)
    I've been asking for 'midi sends' for years.

Cake don't seem to hear me.

Become a Fan on Facebook
    Buy our stuff on iTunes
    Q9550-P5QL-E-8GB1066RAM-GT9800 1GB-RME HDSP9632-W7Prox64-X2x64
    dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re: RE: Single midi track to multiple soft Synth 2010/07/22 13:49:48 (permalink)
    Twigman

I've been asking for 'midi sends' for years.

Cake don't seem to hear me.

I did not upgrade from Sonar 8 to 8.5 ... there wasn't a single feature I had any use for.  Had more flexible MIDI routing been one of those new features in 8.5, I would have upgraded in a heartbeat.  I do hope Sonar 9, or whatever it'll be called, has something that makes an upgrade appealing.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1