Skipping Problem while Recording.

Author
EbbHead
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 46
2006/02/01 01:49:10 (permalink)

Skipping Problem while Recording.

Hi. When I plug my guitar into the Tascam and record with Music Creator, I almost always run into a problem. I'll record a good take but when i click the stop button, I'll notice that the wavelength box doesn't end at the time it should...it's further back cuz somewhere during the recording it skipped. Is this happening cuz my PC is garbage? I have a Gateway laptop that I bought for $800 2 years ago. I had 30 gigs of space but now all i have is 3 gigs. Could that be the reason? I also have Norton security/firewall running. Maybe that's it. But when I unplug the Cable internet plug and turn on the pc and record, I have a better chance at not skipping...BUT when I want to record along to a drum pattern (as a mp3 or wav), it always skips. It's really frustrating, cuz now I have to pretty much cut and paste and make loops of a take. Any help or info? Thanks!

1 Reply Related Threads

Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: Skipping Problem while Recording. 2006/02/01 12:37:44 (permalink)
    The space could be an isse, but I would also guess that you do not have a ton or ram either, or CPU speed. Are you using XP as the OS? If so how much ram? See XP uses a lot of ram, If you only have 256, then well over half is gone just doing XP, Turn off norton, disconnect the internet, control alt del to see what is running in the back gound, and turn off all un essesntials and have a go at it, if the results are a bit better that tells you that you need an upgrade.

I would suggest finding out if the computers ram can be upgraded, even 512 will make a marked difference.

Another issue with a slower system and lower ram, is the Tascam itself, the Tascam is a USB 1.1 system I believe, USB 1.1 is notoriusly slow compared to the newer USB 2.0 also USB draws from the CPU and ram of the system as well, which puts a further strain on the resoueces. a better solution for lap tops is either firewire, or card buss into the PC/MCIA slot. there are some reasonable solutions to these problems out there if one looks around.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1