Sleepwalk (cover)

Author
wicker1000
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 43
2012/06/12 11:55:30 (permalink)

Sleepwalk (cover)

I've always liked this song - here's my 'work in progress' cover attempt.  Vintage '60s Fender lap steel and Princeton Reverb Silverface for the slide.  Prelim mix - suggestions very much appreciated.  Thanks for listening!

http://soundcloud.com/slowdown-cassidy/sleepwalk

wicker1000
EDIT:  new version uploaded based on feedback- different bass synth, edited dissonant note, more snap in snare
post edited by wicker1000 - 2012/06/12 23:50:17

13 Replies Related Threads

MetalTeK
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 199
    Re:Sleepwalk (cover) 2012/06/12 12:49:15 (permalink)
    LOL...........very, very cool man.  I've always liked this song a lot too.  But the name didn't ring a bell, I haven't heard it in such a long time, (probably not since i've watched the Steven King movie-so several years) so it was a pleasant surprise to me.

You definitely have the guitar sound dialed in to a T. I thought everything else sounded great too.  So good that it made me chuckle when I heard it.

If I had to nit-pick something, and this is subjective, but i would say the snare seems a little hollow. I realize you don't want a "crackin" snare for this song, but maybe brighten it a little with some EQ, or a Transient Shaper or something.

One other thing.  Maybe i'm hearing things (wouldn't be the first time) but something seems askew at like 1:15-1:17, some where in there it sounds like another instrument is hitting a note that doesn't belong there.  But, like I said, hard to tell, it could just be me.

Anyway, yea, i'm just nit-picking, because I assume that's what you want, while your still in the mixing stage.  So aside from that, awesome job man!

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Sleepwalk (cover) 2012/06/12 13:01:18 (permalink)
    nice  job.  

I think it pretty much nails the original in many ways.  

One thing I didn't like is the bass. I think that's what Metaltek mentioned sounded off in those 2 seconds. It was out of tune. And it sounded like a synth bass..... played one octave too low. 

I have noticed that some of the synths I use have notes that are sampled incorrectly. They are mostly in tune but there will be one note that is slightly off. If you have melodyne, you can use it to fix that problem. But the first thing I would do is pick a more organic sounding bass sample. the walk up at 1:48 is a dead giveaway. 

The rest of it sounds really really good.  Job well done. 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:Sleepwalk (cover) 2012/06/12 14:01:27 (permalink)
    Well done.  This was one of the first songs I learned on guitar, so it brings back pleasant memories.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    Re:Sleepwalk (cover) 2012/06/12 18:25:05 (permalink)
    Instantly recognizable. Well done.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    wicker1000
    Re:Sleepwalk (cover) 2012/06/12 23:56:27 (permalink)
    Thanks so much for the feedback.  I changed the bass synth, although I may invest in a different synth.  Also tried to fix the "clam note" - I heard that also.  There was a piano note clashing with the lap steel, now it's a bit better but still some dissonance with the guitar chord.  Oh well, maybe I'll buy Melodyne.  Also added some snap to the snare.

http://soundcloud.com/slowdown-cassidy/sleepwalk

Thanks again for the helpful suggestions!  Will continue to noodle this one.  You guys rock.

wicker1000
    MetalTeK
    Re:Sleepwalk (cover) 2012/06/13 00:23:26 (permalink)
    Yea....snare sounds a lot better.  Before is sounded like all bottom snare.  Now its got just that little bit of tap on the top.  Perfect, imo.   

I don't know your background, and i'm far from any kind of guru.  But I see your fairly new in here, so I'm gonna go ahead and just reiterate, mixing is very subjective.  

Obviously if you have multiple people telling you something is off key or out of time or something of that nature, you want to address that.  But as far as the way thing actually sound.... I would try most suggestions, but if you like your way better, keep it. 

Like with the snare, someone may very well come in here now and say it's too loud.  And they wouldn't be right or wrong.  It's just preference.

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Sleepwalk (cover) 2012/06/13 07:55:16 (permalink)
    Good job on the remix.... 

also what post #7 spoke about is dead on.  When I post music, I read the reviews and opinions, and listen to what they say in context of listening to the song a second time to see if it's simply a subjective opinion or an important issue that needs addressing. If several people comment on the same issue I pay more attention to it. I also know, after hanging here a while, who I can pretty much trust to be correct on an issue and who is blowing smoke. I have determined this by listening to the music coming from these particular people and have judged their competence as a mixing & recording engineer to be top notch. 

You should do likewise. 

Listening to the advice of people who know what they are talking about will help you improve your skills in the quickest manner. It's your job to figure out who they are. 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    darylcrowley
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2700
    Re:Sleepwalk (cover) 2012/06/13 08:38:30 (permalink)
    You don't really ever hear a Santos and Johnny version of Sleepwalk.  I played this a million times as a teenager at sock-hops, proms, and wedding receptions.  We always did The Ventures version of this, but of course Larry Carlton put this song to bed with his stellar arrangment.

Nice job on the original cover.

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
    Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
    Windows 7 64bit Professional
    Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
    http://www.darylcrowley.com/
    wicker1000
    Re:Sleepwalk (cover) 2012/06/13 15:44:44 (permalink)
    Guys, great tips on the do's and don'ts when acting on advice.

Daryl, yep, that's the original Santos and Johnny influence, as I'm a huge steel guitar fan  

Cheers,
    wicker1000
    post edited by wicker1000 - 2012/06/13 15:47:01
    MetalTeK
    Re:Sleepwalk (cover) 2012/06/13 16:26:34 (permalink)
    BTW...........I believe DEFTONES did a more modern version also.

Bub
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7196
    Re:Sleepwalk (cover) 2012/06/13 16:47:58 (permalink)
    Nice version of this. The midi sounds a little stiff to me, but that's just personal taste.

On thing that would help, in my opinion, I do this a lot, is, I would freeze the hi-hat track to a WAV, and put the PX-64 VST on it and soften the attack.

Not sure what you are using for drums. If it is Session Drummer 3 and you have set up output tracks for each drum, then you can easily isolate a track for freezing by archiving all the other drum parts you don't want to be included in the freeze. Saves a ton of time. Then 'Unarchive' them and 'Archive' the track you worked with.

Just a suggestion, that's really the only thing that stood out to me.

Bub.

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:Sleepwalk (cover) 2012/06/14 03:10:46 (permalink)
    Nicely done, sweet sound, no crits here.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    darylcrowley
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2700
    Re:Sleepwalk (cover) 2012/06/14 18:14:30 (permalink)
    I was on the road in the early 70s, near the end I was playing pedal steel about half the night.  I too love steel.

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
    Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
    Windows 7 64bit Professional
    Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
    http://www.darylcrowley.com/
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1