Slightly OT: Chord analysis software

Author
aj
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1084
2009/01/06 08:18:47 (permalink)

Slightly OT: Chord analysis software

I'd love this feature in Sonar, but in the interim, does anyone know of any software (free would be great but reasonably low cost at any event) which given a chord played on a MIDI keyboard will show it on the screen e.g C,Cm, Cdim etc. Extra points for being smart enough to pick the easiest alternative for a chord e.g G/B which most people can read quicker than having to think about aug or sus etc.

Yes, I do know how to write chords by hand (and yes, I can read the dots too, thanks, I'm classically trained), but it is a boring and time-consuming job when you have a number of songs to quickly chart for a band and you're listening to the song while working out the chords; I'd love to automate this process to some extent. Ideally being able to type in lyrics and then easily add chords would be really great, currently I use the, er, not exactly state-of-the-art solution of doing this using Windows WordPad, which certainly works but is rather primitive.

21 Replies Related Threads

robert.t
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 555
    RE: Slightly OT: Chord analysis software 2009/01/06 08:40:58 (permalink)
    i thought sonar came with an MFX plugin that could do that?

Rob

Sonar 7 PE, Project 5 v2.5, Reason 3, Dimension Pro, V-Sampler Pro, Emulator X, M-Audio Keystation Pro 88, Mackie Onyx Satellite, Emu 1212M.
    Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    RE: Slightly OT: Chord analysis software 2009/01/06 09:24:55 (permalink)
    I have chord analisys hardware. I call them ears. It's always best to use your ears and know theory.

Melodyne is supposed to have new software out or soon to be that can do the job.

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: Slightly OT: Chord analysis software 2009/01/06 10:23:00 (permalink)
    Yes, I do know how to write chords by hand (and yes, I can read the dots too, thanks, I'm classically trained), but it is a boring and time-consuming job when you have a number of songs to quickly chart for a band and you're listening to the song while working out the chords

I use the "Nashville Number System"...While listening to the song I chart the chord structure by hand...The benefit of this method is that transposition (and modulations within the song) is so simple. Unfortunately, if one's "ears" can't tell the difference between a Vsus | IIm and a IV/V | V the system is useless when charting. Certainly there are times when a really bizarre chord or inversion might appear that could necessitate the need to work it out on piano (or whatever) but those instances are rare (at least for me)...

Regards,
    Papa
    ChristopherM
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1921
    RE: Slightly OT: Chord analysis software 2009/01/06 10:30:16 (permalink)
    thought sonar came with an MFX plugin
    Well, if you can get it to work properly, please tell me how. I have tried it many times over many years, and it just doesn't seem to work reliably. I did wonder whether the problems were to do with MIDI buffers, and I tried tweaking them up (and down) but still didn't get it to work.
    Geokauf
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 912
    RE: Slightly OT: Chord analysis software 2009/01/06 10:40:27 (permalink)
    which given a chord played on a MIDI keyboard will show it on the screen

Hello,

I found this one:

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Multimedia_and_Graphics/Misc__Sound_Tools/Chord_Pickout.html

Which I found when I typed "midi chord analyzer" in Google and arrived here:

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Best/chord-analyzer.html

GK
    papa2004
    RE: Slightly OT: Chord analysis software 2009/01/06 11:37:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Geokauf

which given a chord played on a MIDI keyboard will show it on the screen

Hello,

I found this one:

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Multimedia_and_Graphics/Misc__Sound_Tools/Chord_Pickout.html

Which I found when I typed "midi chord analyzer" in Google and arrived here:

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Best/chord-analyzer.html

GK

*LOL* The "Chord Pickout" software is a joke. I downloaded and installed it just for "grins". I can't believe anybody would actually pay $40 to use it. Perhaps a simple I , IV, V song (single instrument--don't confuse it by tossing in a band or vocal parts) might work but for "analyzing" songs it's useless. Oh yeah, it only works with audio...not MIDI.

I applaud your efforts to help the OP, George, but I don't think this is what he's looking for (being "classically trained" you know)...*LOL*

Regards,
    Papa
    NeckHumbucker
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 202
    RE: Slightly OT: Chord analysis software 2009/01/06 13:29:57 (permalink)
    I'd say learn to transcribe yourself. There are methods to get you started. Like, you start transcribing the bass line first and then build the rest of the chords...etc. If it is for cover song, I'd throw in a couple of chord of my own

I use the "Nashville Number System"...

What's different in Nashville system than regular Number System?
    kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: Slightly OT: Chord analysis software 2009/01/06 13:57:39 (permalink)
    AJ,

Sonar ships with a MIDI plugin that can analyze chords -- Chord Analyzer -- but there's no tool available that will perform as you ask, as far as I know. Chord Analyzer, as well as the other two or three similar products I've tried, aren't generally aware of the music's context or key, and so report too many nonsense chords. They're good for a laugh, but little else.

If you're interested, there is a set of tools that attempt chord generation, and they appear to have intrinsic knowledge of the major and minor scale modes: Chordspace and ChordspacePlaya.

--kwgm
    Sixfinger
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 890
    RE: Slightly OT: Chord analysis software 2009/01/06 13:58:02 (permalink)
    One difference is a number in Nashville is Major unless you specify it to me minor or otherwise. It doesn't matter that diatonic harmony would imply a 2 chord as being minor. In the Nashville system you must state it; 2m

Sonar Platinum , ADK Computer -Intel - Penryn Quad Core Q9400 Processor, Windows 7 Home premium 64, RME Fireface UFX, Grace 101 Pre's, A-800 Pro, assorted mics, Strats ,Les Pauls, Mesa Boogies
    http://lionfeather.com
    Susan G
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12016
    RE: Slightly OT: Chord analysis software 2009/01/06 14:44:11 (permalink)
    Not to the OP, just in general:

I'm pretty old-school and use Roman Numerals (not for day-to-day math -- I'm not that old!).

So a cap "I" is tonic major, "i" is tonic minor, etc. I wasn't aware of the Nashville system, but I think I still like this better. I've incorporated some of my own shorthand over the years, so at this point I use a hybrid for my own chord notation, but I know what I mean and that's the important thing until/unless I need someone else to read it. At that point I just translate it to "modern" chord symbol notation.

I agree that CW's Chord Analyzer isn't of much use unless you have a pretty simple block chord progression.

I also agree that training your ears to hear the changes is by far the best way to go, and that the bassline is an excellent place to start. You also have to make sure you can distinguish the main chord types by ear, and there are lots of good ear training apps out there which can help.

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
    Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
    SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
    papa2004
    RE: Slightly OT: Chord analysis software 2009/01/06 15:39:10 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: NeckHumbucker

What's different in Nashville system than regular Number System?

It's more of a "shorthand" version (basic principles still apply). Typically musicians will use Arabic numbers instead of Roman numerals.

Some other "shortcuts":

• 2- is the equivalent of ii or IImin;
    • 5° is the equivalent of Vdim
    • 3+ is the equivalent of IIIaug

There are many others but you get the idea. It's just a quicker way to outline the structure. The results are the same.

Regards,
    Papa
    Ham N Egz
    • Total Posts : 15161
    RE: Slightly OT: Chord analysis software 2009/01/06 15:41:19 (permalink)
    well there is a utility in the program Band in a Box (which some people here loathe) called Audio Chord Wizard http://www.pgmusic.com/bandbox_featurelist.htm#audiochordwizard that will extract the chords from an audio file fairly well and you can print them out in lead sheet form. Since you mentioned listening to the songs while trying to transcribe I mentioned it . I believe there is a demo version of BIAB so you could try it of you were so inclined .
    Yes there are the occasional misread chord but you can edit it quickly. It will even do slashed chords/bass notation.
    Since the author Peter Gannon seemed to be a jazz buff, the program at one time was molded to a jazz vein, ie the arranger styles and chords, but you can set it to a pop/rock mode.
    post edited by musicman100 - 2009/01/06 15:50:05

Green Acres is the place to be
     I dont twitter, facebook, snapchat, instagram,linkedin,tumble,pinterest,flick, blah blah,lets have an old fashioned conversation!

Susan G
    RE: Slightly OT: Chord analysis software 2009/01/06 15:53:15 (permalink)
    Hi Joe-
    Since you mentioned listening to the songs while trying to transcribe I mentioed it . I believe there is a demo version of BIAB so you could try it of you were so inclined .

I'm familiar with BIAB, but not the latest version. I'm pretty comfortable recognizing and transcribing chords at this point, though.

Thanks-

-Susan

Ham N Egz
    • Total Posts : 15161
    RE: Slightly OT: Chord analysis software 2009/01/06 16:06:56 (permalink)
    sorry Susan!!!! I hit the wrong reply button (red faced smiley). My reply was meant for the OP
    it sounds like you have a great number system going for yourself !

Green Acres is the place to be
     I dont twitter, facebook, snapchat, instagram,linkedin,tumble,pinterest,flick, blah blah,lets have an old fashioned conversation!

kwgm
    RE: Slightly OT: Chord analysis software 2009/01/06 16:16:06 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: musicman100

sorry Susan!!!! I hit the wrong reply button (red faced smiley). My reply was meant for the OP
    it sounds like you have a great number system going for yourself !

What's nice about Susan is that she replies even if you address her by mistake (Hi Sus -- Happy New Year!)

I've never used BYOB (which meant Bring Your Own Bottle in my day). Does the chord analyzer in BYOB work any better on, say, recorded improvisations, than our Cakewalk Chord Analyzer? For instance, does it understand root notes, inversions, progressions, and basic major/minor harmonies? If it's written by a jazzman, does it understand the jazz vocabulary, you know, things like ii-V-I turnarounds and 7th extensions, or perhaps altered chords?

If so, that sounds interesting.

--kwgm
    Susan G
    RE: Slightly OT: Chord analysis software 2009/01/06 16:23:25 (permalink)
    Hi Kurt-

No, it's "BIAB" -- Band In A Box, not "BYOB" ("Bring Your Own Booze" in my day).

Happy New Year back!

-Susan

kwgm
    RE: Slightly OT: Chord analysis software 2009/01/06 16:35:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Susan G

Hi Kurt-

No, it's "BIAB" -- Band In A Box, not "BYOB" ("Bring Your Own Booze" in my day).

Happy New Year back!

-Susan

Who's Confused?

Me!

--kwgm
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Slightly OT: Chord analysis software 2009/01/06 16:39:44 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: papa2004

Unfortunately, if one's "ears" can't tell the difference between a Vsus | IIm and a IV/V | V the system is useless when charting. Certainly there are times when a really bizarre chord or inversion might appear that could necessitate the need to work it out on piano (or whatever) but those instances are rare (at least for me)...

Blimey Papa and Susan, that IS impressive...I can't even make out the words half the time let alone be able to chart the chords aurally.

I've seen plenty of folk with the talent to do it though so it must be the way to go, as there is nothing I can think of that I'd rely on to do the job.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Susan G
    RE: Slightly OT: Chord analysis software 2009/01/06 16:47:19 (permalink)
    Hi Kurt-

Didn't mean to confuse you -- about what?

-Susan

Susan G
    RE: Slightly OT: Chord analysis software 2009/01/06 16:49:50 (permalink)
    Hi Jon-
    I can't even make out the words half the time let alone be able to chart the chords aurally.

Lyrics are a different story altogether! I can't make them out half the time either.

-Susan

bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    RE: Slightly OT: Chord analysis software 2009/01/06 19:03:34 (permalink)
    For years I thought the line was:

"Sometimes when we touch, the artistry's too much"

And I used to be the lyric transcriber in all my Jr High and High School rock bands. Jeeesh!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1