Snap To Grid will there be a fix? or is it not broken?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
djjhart@aol.com
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2189
2011/01/08 10:03:46 (permalink)

Snap To Grid will there be a fix? or is it not broken?

Ok last night I must of cursed every word in the book, I guess since being a Sonar user from Version 2.2  I must  no nothing, and what happen last night I couldn't figure it out, over an hr working on it..  I have" snap set to " when you right click, set to measure, in fact I tried every possible feature ,  I could not get my clips to snap at all.. I restarted and it worked, Im sorry there's something seriously wrong with Snap to grid. I hope CW can confirm that a patch is in the works, I absoultley love X1 but with out the ability of snap working I can not arrange my clips. I never Had this problem..  Why would it work from 1 second and then dead in the water the next . and then unable to get it work at all until a restart.
 This isn't a whine or a complaint this is a cry for help. I cant make music in a proficient way with out snap working correct.  Am I the only one struggling with this ? Is it really this hard ? Please tell me there's a fix in the works or not I dont want to waste my time with X1 and learn the ins and outs if snap to grid don't work for me. I would be better off learning Abelton better at this time if cake can't confirm a fix for Snap to grid in the future, PLEASE HELP , I feel like I never recorded before and I'm a newbee here.
 Note Im not trying to stir up anything negative posts here , I really just want to know what the hell am I doing wrong. YES it works after a restart

Computer - Intel Q9550, Intel BX48bt2 MB, W8 64 bit. 8 gb Ram, SSD  
Hardware - Tascam Fw1884 Control surface only, Ni S49 Komplete Kontroll,Roland Quad Capture, Ni Machine,Kore, Focusrite A/D converter, Blue Mic, Roland Gaia, Akai Mpk49, Yamaha HS80 Monitors.
Software - Sonar Platinum , Vengeance VPS bundle,Sugar Bytes Effectrix, Turnado, NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Dune, Rob Papen  Blade , Delay, Punch Evolved.
 http://soundcloud.com/johnhartson/tracks  
 http://www.youtube.com/user/jhart1313 

33 Replies Related Threads

HumbleNoise
    Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2946
    Re:Snap To Grid will there be a fix? or is it not broken? 2011/01/08 10:11:09 (permalink)
    djj, Nothing worse than getting flumoxed by a new 'feature'. Been there. Is it still working after that restart?

Snap was (is), to me, pretty confusing and there were a bunch of threads on it before I sorta figured it out but it seems to be working. It's awkward the way you push the snap setting and turns snap off and on and you have press and hold to change settings but I can live with that and hope it's addressed in X1b.

Have you searched the forum? Like I said there's a few threads on snap that might help clarify how it works and doesn't.

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
    MAudio 2496
    Yamaha MG 12/4
    Roland XV-88
    Intel MB with Q6600 and 4 GB Ram
    NVidia 9800 GTX
    Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
    mudgel
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re:Snap To Grid will there be a fix? or is it not broken? 2011/01/08 10:14:48 (permalink)
    Yes its being foxed ion X1b

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    Katie_Katie
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 557
    Re:Snap To Grid will there be a fix? or is it not broken? 2011/01/08 10:22:42 (permalink)
    mudgel

Yes its being foxed ion X1b

Oh god.  Does that mean Glen Beck is working on the fix.

:)

Could not help myself.

Katherine  

djjhart@aol.com
    Re:Snap To Grid will there be a fix? or is it not broken? 2011/01/08 10:23:09 (permalink)
    Thanks Larry I been reading all I can about snap, In fact I call support up , got the basics down on how they said it should work, Thought it was working fine for a bit , besides the switching of the resolutions and then last night with it active , it would not snap at all, WPITA

Mike Thanks for the reply, I sure Hope they sort it out soon!!!!
    post edited by djjhart@aol.com - 2011/01/08 12:24:54

Hardware - Tascam Fw1884 Control surface only, Ni S49 Komplete Kontroll,Roland Quad Capture, Ni Machine,Kore, Focusrite A/D converter, Blue Mic, Roland Gaia, Akai Mpk49, Yamaha HS80 Monitors.
    Software - Sonar Platinum , Vengeance VPS bundle,Sugar Bytes Effectrix, Turnado, NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Dune, Rob Papen  Blade , Delay, Punch Evolved.

djjhart@aol.com
    Re:Snap To Grid will there be a fix? or is it not broken? 2011/01/08 12:14:41 (permalink)
    Hey Mike I been searching everywhere, Was it announced that snap to grid was being fixed in x1b? I see no where as to where it was confirmed as a bug or broken or being fixed. When I called tech support I was belittled as to its a user error and not a bug of any sort. This is why I ask , caus if CW dosn't change the way snap works , I have to move on, which I really dont want to, but I do make money with my software and X1 is  setting me back at the moment. and no official word from CW makes me nervous. I feel like an F-ing idiot, music making 101 and I can't arrange my clips ..

guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:Snap To Grid will there be a fix? or is it not broken? 2011/01/08 12:56:17 (permalink)
    I just ran into the Snap issue today for the first time and I've been using X1 since it came out.  There is nothing I can do.  I've got my snap setting magnetism set to the highest level.. Snap doesn't work anywehre for me.  Clips, midi notes, etc.  It is dead.  I tried rebooting and still doesn't work.  I'm going to try re-installing now.
    rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    Re:Snap To Grid will there be a fix? or is it not broken? 2011/01/08 12:56:28 (permalink)
    djjhart@aol.com

Ok last night I must of cursed every word in the book, I guess since being a Sonar user from Version 2.2  I must  no nothing, and what happen last night I couldn't figure it out, over an hr working on it..  I have" snap set to " when you right click, set to measure, in fact I tried every possible feature ,  I could not get my clips to snap at all...

Dj, You're saying that for awhile Snap works the way you want, and then suddenly it stops working-?  I'm trying, but haven't been able to re-create your problem.  With only the Grid button on, and only the first, top button selected at one of the musical time selections, like measure, half, quarter etc - clips move exactly as I expect them to.  Using the Smart Tool in the lower half of a clip changes it to the Move tool. --- I don't think you're seeing a bug - Unless I'm not understanding your post--?

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    HumbleNoise
    Re:Snap To Grid will there be a fix? or is it not broken? 2011/01/08 13:05:32 (permalink)
    guitartrek

I just ran into the Snap issue today for the first time and I've been using X1 since it came out.  There is nothing I can do.  I've got my snap setting magnetism set to the highest level.. Snap doesn't work anywehre for me.  Clips, midi notes, etc.  It is dead.  I tried rebooting and still doesn't work.  I'm going to try re-installing now.

That sucks. It just up and quit working?

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
    MAudio 2496
    Yamaha MG 12/4
    Roland XV-88
    NVidia 9800 GTX
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:Snap To Grid will there be a fix? or is it not broken? 2011/01/08 13:15:10 (permalink)
    guitartrek

There are days when Snap works just fine, and there are days when it doesn't work at all, regardless of the magnet settings.  It seems to be an intermittent problem on my system, thus, not reproducible.  It's the same with lassoing clips; some days it works and some days it doesn't.  All I can say is to report it to CW via their bug report.  If enough people report this, maybe they'll take it seriously.
    Lynn

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    RLD
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1990
    Re:Snap To Grid will there be a fix? or is it not broken? 2011/01/08 13:17:34 (permalink)
    When I first started using X1, I was befuddled with the snap as well.
    I didn't seem to be able to get it to work.
    Then after messing with the preferences/magnetic strength, screen resolution, grid, etc. it now works perfectly and I can't get it to "not" work.
    I really don't know what I did or changed so there may indeed be a bug, but at this point it works for me.
    I also have not had any "lasso" type problems.
    Strange indeed.
    guitartrek
    Re:Snap To Grid will there be a fix? or is it not broken? 2011/01/08 13:24:33 (permalink)
    HumbleNoise

guitartrek

That sucks. It just up and quit working?

Yes.  it is really strange.  Restarting and rebooting had no effect. 
    RLD
    Re:Snap To Grid will there be a fix? or is it not broken? 2011/01/08 13:27:59 (permalink)
    Geno, what happens when you toggle the magnetic strength on/off or leave off?
    djjhart@aol.com
    Re:Snap To Grid will there be a fix? or is it not broken? 2011/01/08 13:29:27 (permalink)
    I am not messing with any magnetic strength, set to snap and set to measure will snap it to the whole note which its dose , but out of the blue it became non liner and snap didn't work at all . Exactly as Lynn described.

RB - Yes snap works right now as it should, but out of the blue it stops working and I'm not able to snap to anything what so ever..  Strange is becoming the new term here!!! but a restart cleared up my issue. After 2hrs of cursing...

rbowser
    Re:Snap To Grid will there be a fix? or is it not broken? 2011/01/08 13:34:05 (permalink)
    guitartrek

By the way, you do realize that the "highest level" of magnetism is Off--?  A few weeks ago someone was patiently arguing for the logic of how this is laid out, but it still doesn't make sense to me.  As soon as you choose a level of magnetism, you're choosing a less-than-100% snap strength.  With it off, you have absolute full magnetic snap - which is what we all need when arranging clips.

It can't be determined from these posts what's going on with Snap seeming to suddenly disappear, but I don't think it's a behavior that many of us are finding.  Snap is working for me, though I remember when I first installed X1, the defaults didn't seem to be working the way I expected in the PRV.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    guitartrek
    Re:Snap To Grid will there be a fix? or is it not broken? 2011/01/08 13:34:21 (permalink)
    Hold on - I've isolated the snap issue to a particular project.  It works in other projects.  I tried a previous version of the "corrupted" project and snap works fine.  Somehow X1 corrupted or switched something in this project.
    guitartrek
    Re:Snap To Grid will there be a fix? or is it not broken? 2011/01/08 13:45:27 (permalink)
    rbowser

guitartrek

By the way, you do realize that the "highest level" of magnetism is Off--?  A few weeks ago someone was patiently arguing for the logic of how this is laid out, but it still doesn't make sense to me.  As soon as you choose a level of magnetism, you're choosing a less-than-100% snap strength.  With it off, you have absolute full magnetic snap - which is what we all need when arranging clips.

It can't be determined from these posts what's going on with Snap seeming to suddenly disappear, but I don't think it's a behavior that many of us are finding.  Snap is working for me, though I remember when I first installed X1, the defaults didn't seem to be working the way I expected in the PRV.

Randy B.

Randy - It's funny because I opened the problem project (the one where snap doesn't work) and the snap magnet setting was set to "off".  (it was not "off" before though).  I changed to 100% still doesn't work.  Closed without saving and re-opened, snap magnet is now at 100%.  I checked a couple other strenths to no avail.  There is definitely something wrong now with this one project. 

I don't know Randy.  I'be been working with a little over a dozen projects over the last few weeks - this is the first time I ran into this issue. 
    HumbleNoise
    Re:Snap To Grid will there be a fix? or is it not broken? 2011/01/08 13:46:15 (permalink)
    rbowser

Randy B.

Wow. Randy I know you're right about magnetism in X1 but I went and looked up counter intuitive in the dictionary and there was a picture of X1's magnetism dialog box.

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
    MAudio 2496
    Yamaha MG 12/4
    Roland XV-88
    NVidia 9800 GTX
    rbowser
    Re:Snap To Grid will there be a fix? or is it not broken? 2011/01/08 13:53:03 (permalink)
    guitartrek

I'd been working with a little over a dozen projects over the last few weeks - this is the first time I ran into this issue. 

Isn't it a drag when something totally inconsistent like this comes up?  Argh!

"... I went and looked up counter intuitive in the dictionary and there was a picture of X1's magnetism dialog box..."

hehe--We have the same dictionary, HumbleNoise 

R

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    HumbleNoise
    Re:Snap To Grid will there be a fix? or is it not broken? 2011/01/08 13:56:39 (permalink)
    lol

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
    MAudio 2496
    Yamaha MG 12/4
    Roland XV-88
    NVidia 9800 GTX
    RLD
    Re:Snap To Grid will there be a fix? or is it not broken? 2011/01/08 13:58:26 (permalink)
    guitartrek

Randy - It's funny because I opened the problem project (the one where snap doesn't work) and the snap magnet setting was set to "off".  (it was not "off" before though).  I changed to 100% still doesn't work.  Closed without saving and re-opened, snap magnet is now at 100%.  

There is no "100%" in the snap preferences, right?
    Off, Low, Medium, High.
    I find turning it "off" makes it easier to be sure it's working.
    guitartrek
    Re:Snap To Grid will there be a fix? or is it not broken? 2011/01/08 14:13:06 (permalink)
    RLD - you're right - I meant high when I said 100%
    Lynn
    Re:Snap To Grid will there be a fix? or is it not broken? 2011/01/08 14:38:31 (permalink)
    I just made an interesting discovery.  Snap wasn't working for me just minutes ago until I changed "move to" to "move by", and now it works like a charm.  That's the first time I ever had to change that setting to make Snap work, but I wonder if it will do the same for others.  Maybe everyone else was using it all along, hard to say.  Anyway, it fixed my problem this time, but who knows about the next time?
    All the best,
    Lynn

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    HumbleNoise
    Re:Snap To Grid will there be a fix? or is it not broken? 2011/01/08 14:55:15 (permalink)
    The problem (or benefit) with 'move by' is that if your not lined up with a definitive time or beat when you 'move by' you'll simply move that misaligned clip to a new misaligned spot 'by' the amount spec'd in the snap setting. 'Move to' moves your clip to the nearest division 1/4 18/ etc. no matter where you start moving from. (If you already knew that sorry for being redundant)

EDIT and for the above reason my default is set to 'move to' YMMV.

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
    MAudio 2496
    Yamaha MG 12/4
    Roland XV-88
    NVidia 9800 GTX
    Lynn
    Re:Snap To Grid will there be a fix? or is it not broken? 2011/01/08 15:07:15 (permalink)
    HumbleNoise

The problem (or benefit) with 'move by' is that if your not lined up with a definitive time or beat when you 'move by' you'll simply move that misaligned clip to a new misaligned spot 'by' the amount spec'd in the snap setting. 'Move to' moves your clip to the nearest division 1/4 18/ etc. no matter where you start moving from. (If you already knew that sorry for being redundant)

EDIT and for the above reason my default is set to 'move to' YMMV.

I get what you're saying.  That is why I've never changed that feature until now.  I was trying to "move to" with and without the magnet on, and at various settings, with no success.  Only after changing this setting did the Snap to Grid work.  Of course, I would never move anything that was misaligned in the first place.  I normally use "measure" as my STG setting in order to keep the timing of whatever I'm moving in place relative to where they were positioned on the timeline or within the clip.  I've never had this much difficulty in the past.  I'm hoping that CW rethinks their philosophy about Snap to Grid.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

guitartrek
    Re:Snap To Grid will there be a fix? or is it not broken? 2011/01/08 15:27:07 (permalink)
    Lynn

I just made an interesting discovery.  Snap wasn't working for me just minutes ago until I changed "move to" to "move by", and now it works like a charm.  That's the first time I ever had to change that setting to make Snap work, but I wonder if it will do the same for others.  Maybe everyone else was using it all along, hard to say.  Anyway, it fixed my problem this time, but who knows about the next time?
    All the best,
    Lynn

I tried that - I changed it a few times to see if it would fix it.  Unfortunately it doesn't work.  However, this problem is isolated to one project only for me.  Snap is working for other projects.
    RLD
    Re:Snap To Grid will there be a fix? or is it not broken? 2011/01/08 15:40:28 (permalink)
    Geno,
    In the non working project, you don't have the absolute, or snap to midi landmarks, etc. highlighted as well do you?
    Just a thought.
    guitartrek
    Re:Snap To Grid will there be a fix? or is it not broken? 2011/01/08 15:53:10 (permalink)
    RLD - I tried those too.  They were all turned off.  I turned them all on to see - and no difference.

HumbleNoise
    Re:Snap To Grid will there be a fix? or is it not broken? 2011/01/08 15:55:01 (permalink)
    guitartrek, Can you go back to 8.53 and change a setting there that might carry over to X1?

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
    MAudio 2496
    Yamaha MG 12/4
    Roland XV-88
    NVidia 9800 GTX
    guitartrek
    Re:Snap To Grid will there be a fix? or is it not broken? 2011/01/08 16:01:16 (permalink)
    That would be interesting.  Unfortunately this project seems to have been corrupted since I move to this new DAW.  I do not have 8.5.3 installed on this system.. I guess I could move it over to my old DAW and try that.  I'll lose the pro channel settings, but that's ok for a test.  Let me try that in a bit (the old DAW is put away)
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1