Snap to grid setting not working

Author
Lynn
Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6117
2011/12/01 15:10:03 (permalink)

Snap to grid setting not working

Recently, my snap to grid is not working properly.  Normally I have it set to "measure" in track view, with the magnetic setting on "off", which I believe is the proper way to use it.  With this setting, if I move a clip from one location to another, it should retain its timing relative to to the beginning of the measure from one location to the next.  Right?  I've been doing this for years with no problem.

Now, this is not occurring anymore.  For instance, if a vocal begins one beat into the measure in the original location, after I move it (whether dragging and dropping or cut and paste) the vocal will start on the first beat of the measure rather than beat two.  I don't recall this happening before I upgraded to X1c.  Am I in error, or is this happening to anyone else besides me?  Thanks in advance for your feedback.

All the best,
Lynn

my songs
www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400

8 Replies Related Threads

Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    Re:Snap to grid setting not working 2011/12/01 15:16:55 (permalink)
    check if you have it set to Move By or Move to-

Move by is nice if the clip is not exactly on a beat-

Lance

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    Lynn
    Re:Snap to grid setting not working 2011/12/01 15:32:24 (permalink)
    Lance, I have it set to Snap To, which is the way I've always used it successfully.  If i change it to Move By, will the clip maintain its timing- relative to the beginning of the measure- after it has been moved?  I've noted some differences of opinion on this matter in the past.
    Lanceindastudio

check if you have it set to Move By or Move to-

Move by is nice if the clip is not exactly on a beat-

Lance

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    brundlefly
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re:Snap to grid setting not working 2011/12/01 16:08:26 (permalink)
     If i change it to Move By, will the clip maintain its timing- relative to the beginning of the measure- after it has been moved?  I've noted some differences of opinion on this matter in the past.

Yes that's how Move By should work.

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
    Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:Snap to grid setting not working 2011/12/01 16:13:10 (permalink)
    If your snap isn't snapping properly check that magnetic strength is either high or off. Saved per project IIRC so if your template has magnetic strength as low you need to change that and re-save the template to get it as default.
    Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    Re:Snap to grid setting not working 2011/12/01 17:19:11 (permalink)
    Yes it will keep timing- That is the beauty of snap by- 

If your clip edge is not right on the beat, snap to can cause it to be pushed out of time when moving it-

Lance

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    Skarda
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 271
    Re:Snap to grid setting not working 2011/12/01 20:30:25 (permalink)
    I'm glad to hear some one elses snap is flakey. My problem I just posted in another thread is that when I copy a section that is spot on the grid, and paste it forward (drums in this case) it is just off the grid, front or back.. Also, if I have snap turned off,  Then decide I want to snap it to grid. I turn grid on and drag the note, and it snaps to an even increment to the otherside of the grid... It use to snap to the grid when snap to grid was turned on.... I think there is a bug with midi snap to grid
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:Snap to grid setting not working 2011/12/02 02:12:08 (permalink)
    There's a couple of things to check with snap to grid. First that the PRV snap to is turned on and that you aren't using the global snap to resolution, unless that's what you want of course. It is possible to be displaying a grid resolution in the PRV but for it to be off.

The other is the already mentioned magnetic strength. If you want full snap that needs to be off.
    Lynn
    Re:Snap to grid setting not working 2011/12/02 10:21:37 (permalink)
    I changed my setting from Move To to Move By, as suggested above, and was able to move a clip while keeping its timing intact.  However, I want to point out that I've never done it this way before.  Although counter intuitive, I have my Magnetic Strength set to Off.  I remember this being an issue in the past with a number of users.  As with Skarda, I think something has changed, but I don't know what.  It always performed as expected in the past, and then it just changed.  Since this is something that is intermittent and not readily  repeatable, I doubt that submitting a bug report will do much.  I just wonder if this is widespread or something that happens to only a few users.
    Skarda

I'm glad to hear some one elses snap is flakey. My problem I just posted in another thread is that when I copy a section that is spot on the grid, and paste it forward (drums in this case) it is just off the grid, front or back.. Also, if I have snap turned off,  Then decide I want to snap it to grid. I turn grid on and drag the note, and it snaps to an even increment to the otherside of the grid... It use to snap to the grid when snap to grid was turned on.... I think there is a bug with midi snap to grid

FastBikerBoy

There's a couple of things to check with snap to grid. First that the PRV snap to is turned on and that you aren't using the global snap to resolution, unless that's what you want of course. It is possible to be displaying a grid resolution in the PRV but for it to be off.

The other is the already mentioned magnetic strength. If you want full snap that needs to be off.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1