Helpful ReplySo Jonbouy, James, Larry and Randy walk in to a bar...........(updated for Beagle)

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Randy P
Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3070
2010/09/06 18:17:19 (permalink)

So Jonbouy, James, Larry and Randy walk in to a bar...........(updated for Beagle)

It might sound something like this!http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=9615529&q=hi&newref=1 
 Jonbouy-Drums
James Griffiths-Guitar
Larry Hansen-Bass
Randy Prier-Vocals, Guitar, Tamborine, Mix.
Special thanks to my wife Susie for participating in my nonsense.

Words and music by Sid Griffin (yes, it's a cover)

All comments and suggestions appreciated.

Thanks
Randy

post edited by rsp@odyssey.net - 2010/09/11 17:58:10

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
Beagle
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re:So Jonbouy, James, Larry and Randy walk in to a bar........... 2010/09/06 20:58:59 (permalink)
haha!  I loved the intro interaction!

really cool work, guys!  I really enjoyed this a lot!  I'd bring the kick up some and maybe give the drums overall a little more bottom end.  drums are played well (JB!) but they sound dryer than the rest of the instruments and sound like they're separate from the rest of the band.

other than that this is fantastic!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
Freddy J
Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2348
Re:So Jonbouy, James, Larry and Randy walk in to a bar........... 2010/09/06 21:00:52 (permalink)
Ha --- what a hoot!!  A terrific lead-in to the song --  and the song --- excellent.  Excellent performance.
Great job guys.

Freddy J
Janet
  • Total Posts : 8094
Re:So Jonbouy, James, Larry and Randy walk in to a bar........... 2010/09/06 21:03:31 (permalink)
I'd come to hear you guys play any time!  Brilliant.  Loved it!!  :-)  And yes, the intro interplay is cool!  Welcome to the forum, Susie.  :-)
Soundtrapper
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 238
Re:So Jonbouy, James, Larry and Randy walk in to a bar........... 2010/09/06 21:04:18 (permalink)
Loved it!
I really enjoyed everything. I liked the "atmosphere" and the tune
was very cool. Well written, produced and all the parts were
perfect for the tune.
The drums and bass were/are a fantastic foundation for this...excellent...and
everything else took advantage of it.

The exceptionally fantastic tone on my system was the bass part. Not taking
anything from others but it really has a great sound-drums/bass sounding
very good together.

Didn't hear one thing that distracted from enjoying a great piece of work. Cheers!

Michael

Sonar 8.5.3
Win 7 64 bit

Soundtrapper at Mixposure 

Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
Re:So Jonbouy, James, Larry and Randy walk in to a bar........... 2010/09/06 23:21:07 (permalink)
Great vocs, drums, guitar slinging, mix and southern blast ... like where Western meets West-End.

Cover Lyrics not my fav but your performances are utterly astounding and my fav of yours to date;

I feel Randy led the ruckuss to its inevitable rabble-rousing top-notch excellence!

Such a great vibe and performance on all levels!

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re:So Jonbouy, James, Larry and Randy walk in to a bar........... 2010/09/07 03:45:19 (permalink)
First time I've heard this all put together - wonderful! 'Can someone hold my stick?' - priceless!

Excellent work Randy, a great pleasure to be involved with this. I know we put you through the mill on the mix, kudos to you for sticking with it, sounds great to me.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
Bob Oister
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2766
Re:So Jonbouy, James, Larry and Randy walk in to a bar........... 2010/09/07 04:13:14 (permalink)
Hey Guys, killer job on this great cover!  Excellent work on the song, and the intro was a riot!

Everybody did a bang-up job on the performances and the mix sounds really nice.  Very good work, boys!
Bob
Jonbouy
  • Total Posts : 22562
Re:So Jonbouy, James, Larry and Randy walk in to a bar........... 2010/09/07 05:11:44 (permalink)
Hi Randy

It seems that I can't get my stick held these days for love nor money...

This was real fun to work on and I really enjoyed doing my bit, and I know you've wanted to re-create this one for a long time so it's a real privilege to have been asked to take part as well.  I know I added to the delay in getting this done as well as being a PITA with the mix.

Like James this is the first time I've heard it all put together and you've done a great job with all the final polishing, you already know my views on all the great performances on this but I've got to mention again that James completely blew me away with his input here.

This has all that out and out 'on the road' appeal that made gigging so much fun for me.

A complete blast to be part of and listen to.
post edited by Jonbouy - 2010/09/07 05:13:10

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
Guitarhacker
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re:So Jonbouy, James, Larry and Randy walk in to a bar........... 2010/09/07 08:59:21 (permalink)
very nice.... I enjoyed the intro....oh yeah.. the song wasn't bad either..... well done.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
Randy P
Re:So Jonbouy, James, Larry and Randy walk in to a bar........... 2010/09/07 11:13:10 (permalink)
Reece , thanks for the listen buddy. Wondering what volume level you listened at? I did a slight nudge of the kick and snare at the last minute, and checked it on several systems. Turn it up good and loud and let me know if you still think the drums need another nudge. Maybe its the color of your room. :)

Freddy, appreciate the comments.

Janet, This crew live? For real? Actually the idea for this project was due to some housecleaning after the move into the new house last year. I found an old set list from around 1987. I hadn't heard this song in about that long, but remembered we used to start the 4th set of the night with this around that time. I found an old copy on cassette, and that jogged the memory as to why we played it. I've been playing it for months and finally decided to try a version closer to how we played it back then, which was loud and powerful. Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, this version is the only time I may have played this when I wasn't partaking in some sort of self abuse of some sort or another. As for Jonbouy, well I can't speak for him.

Michael, Yeah, Larry's bass (Fender P Bass) just has a great tone of fullness to it. I didn't really need to do much to his track. He and Jonbouy laid down such a great foundation, that I really just tried not to screw it up.

Philip- Wow, that's some pretty good stuff. Thanks so much. I'm not sure about leading the rabble rousing.....okay....ya got me there. These guys made it pretty easy with the performances they put out. I've said it before, when I bring players of this caliber on board for a project, it puts a good kind of pressure on to me to perform at a higher level than I probably would if I were doing this on my own.

Thanks
Randy

post edited by rsp@odyssey.net - 2010/09/07 11:14:52

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
RLD
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1990
Re:So Jonbouy, James, Larry and Randy walk in to a bar........... 2010/09/07 11:26:15 (permalink)
Ha ha...got a laugh out of that one.
Good job guys...When did this dude join your band?

Damnit! Why can't I post a picture?
post edited by RLD - 2010/09/07 11:27:53
Wookiee
Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
  • Total Posts : 13306
Re:So Jonbouy, James, Larry and Randy walk in to a bar........... 2010/09/07 12:33:18 (permalink)
Whats there to say just around of applause to you all well done gents and lady take a bow.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
dlogan
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2544
Re:So Jonbouy, James, Larry and Randy walk in to a bar........... 2010/09/07 12:43:01 (permalink)
Wow that was great! Definitely had a "band" feel to it. Nice performances and mix!!
jamesyoyo
Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3460
Re:So Jonbouy, James, Larry and Randy walk in to a bar........... 2010/09/07 12:46:16 (permalink)
That was a ton of fun, guys.  Perhaps a tiny bit bright, but solid playing and musicianship through out.  Loved the intro! Question though: Other than the bgvox, why didn't you guys mix it like it was live, with crowd noise, or at least people leaving? That would have been the cherry on the top!
jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re:So Jonbouy, James, Larry and Randy walk in to a bar........... 2010/09/07 13:50:17 (permalink)
Jonbouy

Hi Randy

It seems that I can't get my stick held these days for love nor money...

This was real fun to work on and I really enjoyed doing my bit, and I know you've wanted to re-create this one for a long time so it's a real privilege to have been asked to take part as well.  I know I added to the delay in getting this done as well as being a PITA with the mix.

Like James this is the first time I've heard it all put together and you've done a great job with all the final polishing, you already know my views on all the great performances on this but I've got to mention again that James completely blew me away with his input here.

This has all that out and out 'on the road' appeal that made gigging so much fun for me.

A complete blast to be part of and listen to.

Well thank 'ee Maister Jon!

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
lhansen
Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4765
Re:So Jonbouy, James, Larry and Randy walk in to a bar........... 2010/09/07 14:40:35 (permalink)
Thanks everyone for the great comments!!

This was a fun tune to do ( Randy was relentless, disgusting, and completely without morals..Now I know why I like the dude) and a privilege to play along side these gents, tho they did leave me with a hefty bar tab....

Jon - I found your stick on the chair while leaving last nite..would you like me to mail it back to you?? :)

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
notnat
Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5236
Re:So Jonbouy, James, Larry and Randy walk in to a bar........... 2010/09/07 16:12:50 (permalink)
ha... what fun... I jus found this one...

you guys be so crazy... Loved it... 
Randy P
Re:So Jonbouy, James, Larry and Randy walk in to a bar........... 2010/09/07 20:21:28 (permalink)
Herb, thanks for checking this out and for the nice comments.

Bob, I thought you might like this one. Thanks.

RLD, glad you got a chuckle out the intro. I laughed the whole time I was putting it together. None of the guys knew what the others had sent me, so the wife and I got a kick out of how it came out.

Dave, that band feel was exactly what I was going for with the mix. Getting the guitars to sound "live amped" and keeping the vocals from sounding too clean was a challenge for me. I learned a ton on this project. Thanks for listening buddy. Go Chiefs!

Jamesyoyo, mixing this with crowd noise did cross my mind, but in the end, I didn't want it to mess with what finally turned out to be a decent mix. If you listen to the very end, as the guitars are ringing out, you can hear what happened to the crowd.

Wookie, consider yourself bowed to.

Thanks
Randy

Randy P
Re:So Jonbouy, James, Larry and Randy walk in to a bar........... 2010/09/08 18:26:32 (permalink)
James, Larry and Jonbouy.

A special thanks to you guys and for all your help and humor on this project. It turned out even better than I had imagined. Through Larry's lightning strike, and me getting a nasty cold right before time to cut the lead vocals, I'm sure you guys starting wondering if this thing would ever get done. It was all your help and patience during the mixing that made it happen. Thanks again. You guys are champs in my book.

Randy

Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re:So Jonbouy, James, Larry and Randy walk in to a bar........... 2010/09/08 22:07:11 (permalink)
rsp@odyssey.net

Reece , thanks for the listen buddy. Wondering what volume level you listened at? I did a slight nudge of the kick and snare at the last minute, and checked it on several systems. Turn it up good and loud and let me know if you still think the drums need another nudge. Maybe its the color of your room. :) 

Hey, buddy - I did listen at fairly low volume (as I do with all of my critiques) and I get what you're saying, but I would suggest to you that the mix should sound right at whatever volume the listener is using since you can't control the listener's volume.  If you like the sound the way it is then maybe I should change my room color to blue or something more conducive to kick and bass...  anyway - it's just my opine - no sweat if you can't handle the crits,  Knightrider. 

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
dke
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 724
Re:So Jonbouy, James, Larry and Randy walk in to a bar........... 2010/09/09 02:50:44 (permalink)
That was awesome guys!  The intro was really cool and was a perfect setup.  The mix sounded great, and the performance was as well!

Dan 

Sonar Platinum ( x64),  Windows 10 x64, HP Envy i5 2.9GHZ, 8GB, Tascam 4x4 USB, BX5a Monitors.
Randy P
Re:So Jonbouy, James, Larry and Randy walk in to a bar........... 2010/09/09 19:49:36 (permalink)
Frank,  Yes, there was crazy involved, but mostly due to my early mixes of this. Thanks for taking the time to check it out.

Scottytunes
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5695
Re:So Jonbouy, James, Larry and Randy walk in to a bar........... 2010/09/09 20:25:20 (permalink)
This was great all the way from start to finish! You guys really know how to use that other band's gear!

String Jammer
Randy P
Re:So Jonbouy, James, Larry and Randy walk in to a bar........... 2010/09/11 18:02:42 (permalink)
Beag, I tweaked the drums a bit. Gave the kick and overall a bump and a titch different reverb.

I didn't think they really needed changing, but in your last post you either called me, or yourself Knightrider, which either means you think I'm something like David Hasselhoff or you are. Either way it really freaked me out. Please don't do that again....okay?

Randy

Jackel
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 398
Re:So Jonbouy, James, Larry and Randy walk in to a bar........... 2010/09/11 19:09:33 (permalink)
So you all did your parts in various places around the world and then Randy puts it all together?  How did that work out?  I'm asking because it sounds like a great way to collaborate if I knew how.  fun all around.

Jeff 
i7 - Win7 64 - 12GB 1066 RAB - 128GB SSD Boot Drive - 2x1TB Data Drives - Nvidia GeForce 640 2GB Video - Mackie Blackbird - Grace M101 - KRK Vxt8's RP5's - UAD Solo

Sonar X3d - Ableton Live 8 - Komplete 9 - Ivory 2 - Spectrasonics - Plus...
Randy P
Re:So Jonbouy, James, Larry and Randy walk in to a bar........... 2010/09/11 19:43:24 (permalink)
Jackel, that's how we and others do it. The process is different depending on the project, but I'll explain how we did this one. First, it was a cover, so I sent these guys an mp3 of the song. Jonbouy sent me back a scratch drum track for us to play our guitar and bass parts to. I sent the drums to James and Larry. Once they finished thier parts and sent them to me, I did a rough mix and sent it to Jonbouy so he could do the finished drum tracks. When he sent those back to me, I did my final guitar parts and the lead and background vocals and started mixing.

All tracks are sent in wav file form. We mostly used "boxnet" which is an online file sharing service and its free for the basic service. Jonbouy sent me his drum tracks as a rar zip file.

I started doing collaborations several years ago, and its simply a blast for me. Waiting for the files to come in from some of the most talented players around is like being a kid on Christmas morning. I highly recommend it. Just ask someone whose stuff you like, or is similar to what you do and see where it goes. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Randy

Jackel
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 398
Re:So Jonbouy, James, Larry and Randy walk in to a bar........... 2010/09/12 00:19:55 (permalink)
That sounds like a lot of fun.  There is a service I use called Dropbox.  you get 2 gig for free and you can share folders.  it looks like just another folder on your computer.  Its like sharing the same drive over all your computers/phones/ipads etc.

Jeff 
i7 - Win7 64 - 12GB 1066 RAB - 128GB SSD Boot Drive - 2x1TB Data Drives - Nvidia GeForce 640 2GB Video - Mackie Blackbird - Grace M101 - KRK Vxt8's RP5's - UAD Solo

Sonar X3d - Ableton Live 8 - Komplete 9 - Ivory 2 - Spectrasonics - Plus...
RobertB
  • Total Posts : 11256
Re:So Jonbouy, James, Larry and Randy walk in to a bar........... 2010/09/12 00:45:41 (permalink)
Not that Nightrider, Randy
fwiw, I think this version is a bit more cohesive. Just the right amount of polish, yet still retaining that raw, small venue sound.
I can picture you guys onstage, and how cool is it that James and Jon just happened to be in the neighborhood?
Larry, listening to that smooth bass line, and remembering the hell we(I) put you through a few years ago, makes me smile.
Good job all around. It's tight, but feels spontaneous.

re, Jackel. It is immensely fun. It's been a while since I took part in a collab effort, but it's very rewarding. As Randy wrote, getting the new tracks form the other players is just like Christmas morning.
Sometimes, someone will extend an open invitation for a collab, and sometimes, they just happen. Those are the best.
If you get the chance, run with it. It's a great experience.

My Soundclick Page
SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
Slow Marching Band
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1603
Re:So Jonbouy, James, Larry and Randy walk in to a bar........... 2010/09/12 14:00:38 (permalink)
RobertB

Larry, listening to that smooth bass line, and remembering the hell we(I) put you through a few years ago, makes me smile.

Do you know that I still get nervous and hate when I have to play the bass?? Just ask James & Randy!!

Yes ..I do remember Bob!! :) In all sincerity, you and all the 'old-timers' (I wish most of them were still around here), pushed me to try harder and do better from the beginning. Been about 5 years now, right?? I appreciate your very kind comment.

Larry
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1