So far I'm a bit underwhelmed...

Author
eugiebaange
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12
2006/08/15 11:22:48 (permalink)

So far I'm a bit underwhelmed...

...with Dimension Pro. Granted, I've done next to nothing with it yet. I've used a trumpet patch.
Tried layering trumpets and saxes to build a horn section -they sound pretty good- but having multiple instances up and running pretty much renders my poor little G5 unusable.
So, I got this great idea that I'd build my own horn section program. Can't do it. There isn't even ONE horn element, let alone the 3 or 4 I'd need. In fact, there aren't many elements at all. How can you build an effective program when all you have are, like, 20 elements?

9 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: So far I'm a bit underwhelmed... 2006/08/15 12:05:48 (permalink)
    How can you build an effective program when all you have are, like, 20 elements?
    There aren't many pre-constructed Elements, EB, but there's any easy way around that. Most of the Brass programs only use one Element, and just use the global .prog container to add a reverb algo in the Mix section. The Saxes use two Elements, but one is a pink noise waveform for breathiness. You can save the core Elements from these programs, and they'll be available to reconstruct an ensemble later on.

I find it easier to just load up two instances temporarily. One to audition programs from the Browser; the other as a container for assembling another program. Find the Elements that you like from the preset programs, Copy Element, and Paste it into one of the Elements in the destination instance. You can build some new programs very quickly with this method.
    eugiebaange
    RE: So far I'm a bit underwhelmed... 2006/08/15 12:45:47 (permalink)
    Thanks b rock. Sure, that'll work.
    Deconstruct the programs to find what elements they use and copy 'em over to build a new program.
    I had a feeling that what we had here was just a lack of understanding (or familiarity) on my part. I've only been using DimPro for a week, and barely at that. I still get confused between what samples, multisamples, programs, elements, and what not all are. I need to spend a little time poking under the hood. I can't wait to try this "roll your own" approach tonight

I must say, the horn programs sure sound good.

Thanks for the insight.

-EB
    Trusty
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 590
    RE: So far I'm a bit underwhelmed... 2006/08/15 17:57:39 (permalink)
    One of the reasons I haven't upgraded to Dim Pro was the lack of brass content...after the expansion packs...there is STILL a lack of brass content. I've since converted a lot of brass patches from ProteusX stuff into SFZ to use in Dimension...
    inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: So far I'm a bit underwhelmed... 2006/08/15 20:33:10 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Trusty
    One of the reasons I haven't upgraded to Dim Pro was the lack of brass content...after the expansion packs...there is STILL a lack of brass content. I've since converted a lot of brass patches from ProteusX stuff into SFZ to use in Dimension...

I wouldn't let that stop me... there's a lot there in Dim Pro.
    But you're correct, not so much brass...

I actually prefer the brass from ProteusX as well, and in fact prefer quite a few of the SAMPLES in ProteusX to any other sampler I have. It's just quite lacking in comparison as far as what you can do with the samples post just playing them back. Dimension and Dimension Pro just kill it in this area.

Perhaps, I think, we are up against a VERY big brick wall. As a trumpet player, there are MANY things I can do with my instrument that I'm not sure can easily be synthesized. You can take a sample of a note or a trill, but flats to sharps... sharps to flats... mutes... it's just not happening.
    Of all the instruments I've decided to NOT use samplers for, brass instruments are at the top of my list.
    During composition, fine... for production... session players, if I have the money and the time and the need.

So now I'm asking myself:
    Why does it need to sound so close to a brass instrument at all. Can't it be similar in mood or tone and still convey emotional meaning without actually being a trumpet, etc.?

It's a personal call, and one I haven't actually made, but I'm starting to believe that the whole debate/work going into making "real" instruments sound real when coming from a machine isn't the debate/work we should be doing.

- zevo
    post edited by inmazevo - 2006/08/15 20:47:44
    lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: So far I'm a bit underwhelmed... 2006/08/15 20:56:11 (permalink)
    Note: If you not a purist brass is done well with synths. This will irritate the strictly purist among us I'm sure.

If your a mind to, each of the horn presets/progs in Dpro has a base sfz, All the samples are mapped to the keyboard this way.

If you were to open the sfz's and do a copy/paste all regions to a new text file you could map your horn section to play from one instance of Dpro? I am speculating here but I see no difficulty in setting up a custom section with zones/overlap for each instrument minus the individual prog goodies. but with pan for stereo field/depth.

As you all may know each prog in Dpro has a special something added to give it a little something extra. And why not? But a custom built horn section might not need the added detail?

I have combined sfz's but I have not tackled the horns in Dpro as yet. I got my hands on a Baritone/bass sax recoding I made for a friend. The crowd noise contamination was pretty bad. but I did get a few snags from it. As I'd love to have this person do me up a full set with me at the recorder. I've also spent last weekend snaggin samples from a prepaired piano a la John Cage Now that set will cost me some major time to set up.
    techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: So far I'm a bit underwhelmed... 2006/08/15 22:42:59 (permalink)
    When you're diggin' into this synth be sure to check out some of the stuff over at the Dimension Pro section of the Project5 Wiki. There is a lot of information published there about SFZ and the inner workings of Dimension and some general techniques as well. Here is the link:

http://p5.sonarama.com/p5/index.php/Dimension_Pro

eugiebaange
    RE: So far I'm a bit underwhelmed... 2006/08/15 23:57:46 (permalink)
    I just posted about what an idiot I am and I can't figure it out and it's too much work.
    One statement *is* true: I *am* an idiot.
    Click and you will find.

A trumpet + French Horn + Trombone + alto & Tenor sax horn section took -like- 6 or 7 clicks.

Oh yeah, baby! Now, what other trouble can I get into
    post edited by eugiebaange - 2006/08/16 00:35:07
    lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: So far I'm a bit underwhelmed... 2006/08/16 00:42:17 (permalink)
    Each element can load a sfz. Not A Prog/patch. You have to click in the window, browse to the sample folder and load the sfz. Not in the prog widow. nope, the sample window.
    Trusty
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 590
    RE: So far I'm a bit underwhelmed... 2006/08/16 14:45:54 (permalink)
    I love horns, sadly, I was a trumpet player myself, sadly, I use the word "was...and even more sad is that I was only an "above average" trumpet player...even sadder still is that I was only "above average" in comparision to other high school students... Or actually,
    I wish I hadn't given it up, because I could be as cool as grandpa mojo...but I guess a person is never too old to pick something back up either...

Anyway, I've done well with ProteusX brass sounds in Dimension. And I do plan on upgrading to Dim Pro once the student loans kick in...a shame the Sonar deals are over at the end of the month as well, because if they would only extend it a few more weeks I could get in on that as well...BOOO HOOO!!!! But if the quality to the other "realistic" patches in Dimension was kept up and courted to more brass, it would truely be something. I guess I am just hoping for this. It doesn't have to be "real", as I am happy with just "good quality". And since everything else in DImension is good quality, I'd like to see brass get the same treatment.

I agree that Dimension is more fun to play and tweak than any other synth I have, which is why EXC becomes useful to me to make everything SFZ...

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1