So . . . how important is the quality of your sound card when using "Export Audio" ?

Author
noynekker
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1235
2012/04/10 01:45:02 (permalink)

So . . . how important is the quality of your sound card when using "Export Audio" ?

I'm just trying to get my head around the mechanics of what's happening when you mixdown using Export to Audio.
The 24 bit mix is complete, sounding good, time to mixdown . . . is it Cakewalk, or my audio card that's affecting the quality of the exported audio ?

I hear the Prochannel + plugins are colouring the sound, but if I transfer the project to a cheap laptop with an onboard soundcard, will it sound as good ? If I spend $1000 dollars on a new soundcard will I hear a difference ?

Also, I've noticed that there are a bunch of presets that can be used when using Export Audio, and I've seen other threads about the best settings to use, eg . .   routing everything to a master bus + export only that, selecting all tracks and exporting them, or even using the "what you hear" preset. Then there's dithering to add to the equation . . .

I guess (because I don't know) I'm wondering about what percent of sound quality on export, is audio card based ?

18 Replies Related Threads

Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    Re:So . . . how important is the quality of your sound card when using "Export Audio" ? 2012/04/10 01:52:02 (permalink)
    Pretty sure the sound card will let you hear things a certain way, and more importantly, when recording into them, their quality will certainly reflect the audio quality of what you record.

As far as exporting audio, I am 99% sure it doesn't matter what card you have. The file will get processed by sonar, and how it sounds depends on what you play it on whether it is that sound card you use with your computer or the radio in your car.

With a sound interface, you want:
    1. good cnverters and decent preamps if they have them
    2. good low latency performance (this comes down to drivers pretty much
    3. you want the interface to have what you need - i.e. enough inputs, outputs, midi capability, whatever you need

Again, the sound interface/card will not effect an export if I am correct. It will effect what you hear when you play music through it and you judgments according to the quality of that sound when mixing, and it will effect the quality of what is recording into sonar or any program via going "through" that interface/sound card.

Lance

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    Lanceindastudio
    Re:So . . . how important is the quality of your sound card when using "Export Audio" ? 2012/04/10 01:55:55 (permalink)
    As far as sound though, any decent interface/card that is made for recording will sound decent upon playback.

The big thing that you pay for in more expensive interfaces is usually the AD converters that will capture what you record and decent drivers.

Good thing is, even at lower priced units that really do well in both categories.

You will probably gain 5% to 10% overall quality by going from a $300 interface to a $1500 interface, DEPENDING ON WHAT YOU GET.

i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Presonus Eureka
    bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:So . . . how important is the quality of your sound card when using "Export Audio" ? 2012/04/10 01:57:40 (permalink)
    Lanceindastudio

Pretty sure the sound card will let you hear things a certain way, and more importantly, when recording into them, their quality will certainly reflect the audio quality of what you record.

As far as exporting audio, I am 99% sure it doesn't matter what card you have. The file will get processed by sonar, and how it sounds depends on what you play it on whether it is that sound card you use with your computer or the radio in your car.

With a sound interface, you want:
    1. good cnverters and decent preamps if they have them
    2. good low latency performance (this comes down to drivers pretty much
    3. you want the interface to have what you need - i.e. enough inputs, outputs, midi capability, whatever you need

Again, the sound interface/card will not effect an export if I am correct. It will effect what you hear when you play music through it and you judgments according to the quality of that sound when mixing, and it will effect the quality of what is recording into sonar or any program via going "through" that interface/sound card.

Lance

I have released songs in the songs forum where the final master was from my old laptop with a realtek. I then took the exact project to my DAW and exported it there (with a 'quality' interface). Null test was perfectly nulled, IIRC.
    noynekker
    Re:So . . . how important is the quality of your sound card when using "Export Audio" ? 2012/04/10 02:14:05 (permalink)
    Thanks Guys, that clarifies, makes sense that a good audio card with better AD converters will render a better recording input . . . so in my case only the guitar and vocal recordings (and the quality of my microphone) are affected by the audio card, everything else in the mix is then generated by Cakewalk's export to audio.
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:So . . . how important is the quality of your sound card when using "Export Audio" ? 2012/04/10 02:17:26 (permalink)
    Where it would make a difference is first during mixdown if you take the output of the audio card and mix it back to 2 tracks in the box(DAW) getting the mix ready for mastering. If you have a hybrid system it would make a lot of difference to the quality of the analog output and the final digital file you create. So the soundcard could make a big difference.

For exporting, the quality of the DA of any soundcard is going to influence your decision making regardless of what the digital file ends up being stored as. There are sonic differences in soundcards that would make you boost or cut a certain frequency from one to the other.

post edited by Middleman - 2012/04/10 02:24:09

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:So . . . how important is the quality of your sound card when using "Export Audio" ? 2012/04/10 02:19:06 (permalink)
    Middleman

Where it would make a difference is during mixdown if you take the output of the audio card and mix it back to 2 tracks in the box(DAW) getting the mix ready for mastering. If you have a hybrid system it would make a lot of difference to the quality of the analog output and the final digital file you create.

Agreed. But only guys with money to burn would have a hybrid system.

Lanceindastudio
    Re:So . . . how important is the quality of your sound card when using "Export Audio" ? 2012/04/10 02:23:25 (permalink)
    yeah if ya go old school like that and actually record an output from an interface in real time instead of just bouncing from sonar, totally.

Bapu, I rest my case! Thank you for confirming my last 1% lol

I have met both of you in person and you and Middleman are both top notch no BS people on this forum. 

Cheers,

Lance

Middleman

Where it would make a difference is during mixdown if you take the output of the audio card and mix it back to 2 tracks in the box(DAW) getting the mix ready for mastering. If you have a hybrid system it would make a lot of difference to the quality of the analog output and the final digital file you create.

i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Presonus Eureka
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:So . . . how important is the quality of your sound card when using "Export Audio" ? 2012/04/10 02:25:12 (permalink)
    No wait, I typed more. You guys are too fast. I had another thought. Oh well back into the dust trail of the forum.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    noynekker
    Re:So . . . how important is the quality of your sound card when using "Export Audio" ? 2012/04/10 02:31:55 (permalink)
    So . . . what I am hearing in my monitors is totally the audio card generating sound, and Cakewalk only colours the output with whatever plugs are added to the sound path ? When I Export to Audio it is a different sound path than the monitors ?
    Lanceindastudio
    Re:So . . . how important is the quality of your sound card when using "Export Audio" ? 2012/04/10 02:41:47 (permalink)
    well sonar outputs exactly what it is.

The point of the card and the monitors is to be able to play "what it is" as accurate as possible without "coloring" it into something that it is not.

Lance

i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Presonus Eureka
    noynekker
    Re:So . . . how important is the quality of your sound card when using "Export Audio" ? 2012/04/10 02:47:26 (permalink)
    Thanks Lance, a truly professional response, might just cut and paste this into my audio tips file.
    Lanceindastudio
    Re:So . . . how important is the quality of your sound card when using "Export Audio" ? 2012/04/10 02:51:39 (permalink)
    haha cool!

Lance

i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Presonus Eureka
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:So . . . how important is the quality of your sound card when using "Export Audio" ? 2012/04/10 06:00:05 (permalink)
    The audio interface could in theory not exist on your system but you could still export audio.

That should tell you how important it is.

Sonar is totally responsible for the number crunching during export it isn't a function of the sound card.

The quality of the room and your monitors has the biggest effect on the choices you make when mixing.  The small differences between the output of modern audio cards (including an onboard Realtek) is pretty much insignificant compared to this.

The case for a top end sound card lies more in the quality of the pres the amount of I/O it provides and its ultra low latency performance.
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2012/04/10 06:18:31

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Freddie H
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    Re:So . . . how important is the quality of your sound card when using "Export Audio" ? 2012/04/10 07:40:34 (permalink)
    No impact if you don't run it thru the audio card AD DA. Its and Internal process.

-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
    guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:So . . . how important is the quality of your sound card when using "Export Audio" ? 2012/04/10 07:51:58 (permalink)
    I confirmed this with Noel:  Exporting audio is pure math.  It does not use the audio device at all. 
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:So . . . how important is the quality of your sound card when using "Export Audio" ? 2012/04/10 08:21:50 (permalink)
    Yeah, it's strictly a "digital" function, no analog or audio device is involved in creating the exported file.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    • Total Posts : 9200
    Re:So . . . how important is the quality of your sound card when using "Export Audio" ? 2012/04/10 08:55:23 (permalink)
    One important thing you must not forget...

A lot of the "FX" like audiosnap and V-Vocal as examples have at least 2 or 3 quality settings.
    When you hit the Play button to hear your mix in real time Sonar will default to using lower quality/"faster computing" settings in order to keep up with all the calculations required.
    When you "export to audio" the high quality settings are used by default as there is no "real time" requirement, so small anomalies you may hear from, say, v-vocal will dissapear in the exported version.

This does mean that in practice the exported version will sound slightly different to what you hear when you simply press Play, but hopefully in a better way.

There is a way around some of this, and that is to render individual tracks first to force using the high quality settings, (bounce to track), though you still have the same issues with FX on the Master bus.  Rendering the Master bus is, by definition, exporting to audio...

It should be noted though that none of this is affected by the quality of the soundcard as the soundcard simply converts the final calculated data stream to audio.

Mekashi Futo
    Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
    Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

Midiboy
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 414
    Re:So . . . how important is the quality of your sound card when using "Export Audio" ? 2018/04/10 12:50:40 (permalink)
    ..old thread...oops...it is exactly 6 years old....started a new thread instead...

----
    Gregg
    Midiboy Music
    www.facebook.com/midiboygregg

Win10x64 (Eng), Sonar Platinum x64 (Eng w/ lifetime updates), 32GB DDR4 RAM, Intel i7 5820, nVidia 960, Alesis MultiMix 8 USB2 w/ Alesis MultiMix driver. Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88, Korg NanoControl.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1