Helpful ReplySo is there a way to migrate Sonar projects over to Studio One?

Author
alm
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 48
2017/11/22 16:33:11 (permalink)

So is there a way to migrate Sonar projects over to Studio One?

I only ask because oh god is this actually happening?
cbaughman
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: So is there a way to migrate Sonar projects over to Studio One? 2017/11/22 16:34:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mmarton 2017/11/22 17:20:34
I will be finding out shortly...
alm
Re: So is there a way to migrate Sonar projects over to Studio One? 2017/11/22 16:52:54 (permalink)
Hurry back when you know
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: So is there a way to migrate Sonar projects over to Studio One? 2017/11/22 17:14:15 (permalink)
I can only imagine that since .cwp is a proprietary file format, the only way is to export your files from Sonar in a way that can be imported by another DAW, such as '.wav' and '.mid'.

In most cases the recommendation for file exchange is to bounce to stems.

Sonar can export to OMF (Open Media Format) files, but not all DAWs can read this format.  The online Sonar user guide covers this.  Just search for OMF.

These are the limitations of OMFas  shown in the user guide.

Note:  OMF files save the following:

Tracks

Clip positions

Slip edits

Fades and crossfades (as destructive edits)

The following information is discarded:

Volume

Pan

Automation

Effects

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
werewindle
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 214
Re: So is there a way to migrate Sonar projects over to Studio One? 2017/11/22 17:33:57 (permalink)
Currently installing Studio One on my test PC so will be testing while awaiting response from Studio One forum. Also will look at registry and see how the plug-ins are being recorded and write code if required so I can check against what was installed in SONAR. 

Sonar: Platinum & Studio One 3
Production PC: Intel i7-6950x 10 cores (20 processors) CPU @ 3.00GHz (with overclock to 3.60GHz), RAM 64GB, Windows 10 - 64 bit, Sound Blaster ZxR Pro, Dual Nvidia GTX1080 with 2 widescreen Monitors
MIDI: Akai Advance 49, Roland A-500Pro, Akai MPD230, Softube Console 1, Akai EWI USB, Roli Seaboard 25
Instruments: Martin D12X1AE Dreadnought - 12 string, Martin Ed Sheeran X Signature Edition, Fender Standard Precision-Bass Black MN, Gibson Custom Shop EDS-1275 Cherry (12 & 6 string dual)
Fog
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12302
Re: So is there a way to migrate Sonar projects over to Studio One? 2017/11/22 18:36:11 (permalink)
everything can import wav / midi , so take that route.

you can even midi sync 2 machines..

thats why I always tried to stick with stuff vst wise that you could use multi format.

and if you can't bounce the audio effected / un-effected
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: So is there a way to migrate Sonar projects over to Studio One? 2017/11/22 20:20:30 (permalink)
ProjectScope will analyze your '.cwp' files and show all of the tracks, plugins, and audio files in your projects.  Plus you can preview the audio tracks in the UI.

It functions like a file browser that you can scroll though your Cakewalk Projects folder, that shows the objects within the project.  Should be a very handy tool in times like these!  I just tried it again and it works with a Cakewalk Project file created in the latest Sonar Platinum (2017.10).

http://forum.cakewalk.com...features-m3584169.aspx

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: So is there a way to migrate Sonar projects over to Studio One? 2017/11/23 07:29:02 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bodhi65 2017/11/23 13:26:48
Unfortunately S1 did not support OMF or AAF last i checked
Larry Jones
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 834
Re: So is there a way to migrate Sonar projects over to Studio One? 2017/11/23 07:50:11 (permalink)
This is going to be a painful transition no matter how you do it. I'm trying Studio One right now and if it works out I'll export my tracks as individual wav files and import them to S1. I have almost an album's worth of songs that are "finished" but not mixed/mastered, because nobody is waiting for them, so I mess with them every so often. Now that Gibson/Cakewalk is forcing my hand, maybe the smart move is to do final mixes on all of them while SONAR still works, instead of transferring to a new DAW and trying to match what I've already spent lots of time on... 

PS: To the OP, I don't think there's a simple or automated way to make the move.

SONAR Platinum 2017.10 • CbB  Win10 • i7/2600 • 16GB RAM • Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 • NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: So is there a way to migrate Sonar projects over to Studio One? 2017/11/23 08:01:42 (permalink)
When I switched over 3 or so years ago I use to just export the midi and audio tracks and get out the trusty old pen and paper and write down any relevant settings, routings whatever, what plugins were used and their order for each track/buss, and save presets like Song bla bla Guitar, Song bla bla Lead . . . Bass . ..  drums etc etc to, it was a pain in the butt, but once done it's was done.

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

Midiboy
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 414
Re: So is there a way to migrate Sonar projects over to Studio One? 2017/11/23 13:08:42 (permalink)
There is a program to convert Sonar files to Reaper, so I imagine there could be one (if not now, soon) for S1-3.

----
Gregg
Midiboy Music
www.facebook.com/midiboygregg

Win10x64 (Eng), Sonar Platinum x64 (Eng w/ lifetime updates), 32GB DDR4 RAM, Intel i7 5820, nVidia 960, Alesis MultiMix 8 USB2 w/ Alesis MultiMix driver. Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88, Korg NanoControl.
alm
Re: So is there a way to migrate Sonar projects over to Studio One? 2017/11/23 19:04:40 (permalink)
urgh thank you Kylotan

Kylotan
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 995
Re: So is there a way to migrate Sonar projects over to Studio One? 2017/11/23 19:11:37 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Larry Jones 2017/11/23 19:57:44
I edited my post above, but the forum has completely deleted it instead. So here it is again:

I moved over to Studio One a year or so ago, and with recent events, I feel I'm one of the lucky ones.

Sadly there is no explicit migration process, so it's hard work. Here's what worked well enough for me, on the songs I needed to move over:
  1. Take screenshots of Track and/or Console view to make sure you know which tracks and instruments you need to re-create in the destination project, what tempo you want, etc. If you're doing this for a lot of songs, you probably want to spend an hour or so in Studio One making a big song template with all the tracks and instruments you are likely to want, so you don't have to do this manually each time. It's easier to delete unwanted tracks after using a comprehensive template than it is to have to add them over and over again for each song.
  2. Use the preset capabilities built in to individual plugins to ensure that your settings are saved outside of all the DAWs, and then you can load that custom preset in the effect or instrument once it's inserted into Studio One.
  3. S1 doesn't have track templates but it does have FX Chains, so if you have tracks or track templates with a lot of FX involved, consider making and saving FX Chains to speed up the process of setting up these tracks. If you created new per-effect presets as mentioned above this can go pretty quickly.
  4. MIDI clips can be dragged from Sonar to the Windows Desktop and then dragged right into an instrument track in Studio One. Save time on projects with lots of clips by combining all the clips in a track before doing this.
  5. Audio clips can be exported via File > Export > Audio. Make sure you do Select All beforehand, or explicitly select the region you care about. Choose 'Tracks' in the export dialog, and make sure your Mix Enables checkboxes do what you want. If you're confident you can recreate the FX chain in Studio 1, you can clear Track FX. If you're not confident, perhaps because you use Sonar-specific stuff like Pro Channel, you might want to leave it selected and print the effects into the exported audio. (While you're there, consider exporting buses and/or the entire mix too, if you can spare the disk space.) Again, audio files can be dragged into an audio track in Studio One. (It will usually prompt you to copy them into the song's media directory later. DO NOT DELETE THE TRACKS EXPORTED FROM SONAR UNTIL YOU ARE 100% CONFIDENT THAT STUDIO ONE HAS A NEW COPY UNDER THE SONG DIRECTORY. USE THE MENU OPTION SONG>COPY EXTERNAL FILES IF NECESSARY.) You're almost certainly going to need to bounce down any Region FX or Clip FX, but the latter at least can be re-applied quite easily in S1.
Another helpful thing to know is that you can usually have S1 and Sonar running at the same time, which makes it easier to compare the layouts, and even the tone upon playback. You may need to switch driver models from ASIO to something else, at least in one of the DAWs.

Sonar Platinum (Newburyport) / Win 8.1 64bit / Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Absynth / Kontakt / Play / Superior Drummer 2 / ESP LTD guitar / etc

Twilight's Embrace - gothic/death metal | Other works - instrumental/soundtracks
werewindle
Re: So is there a way to migrate Sonar projects over to Studio One? 2017/11/23 19:22:08 (permalink)
Thanks that's very helpful I was intending to create a version of my SPLAT template on Studio One 1st so looks like that's the way to go. Also if you use Console 1 you'll definitely need to have both DAW's running at same time so you can copy any settings you've changed although I'll check with Softube if there is any way to save them outside DAW.

Production PC: Intel i7-6950x 10 cores (20 processors) CPU @ 3.00GHz (with overclock to 3.60GHz), RAM 64GB, Windows 10 - 64 bit, Sound Blaster ZxR Pro, Dual Nvidia GTX1080 with 2 widescreen Monitors
MIDI: Akai Advance 49, Roland A-500Pro, Akai MPD230, Softube Console 1, Akai EWI USB, Roli Seaboard 25
Instruments: Martin D12X1AE Dreadnought - 12 string, Martin Ed Sheeran X Signature Edition, Fender Standard Precision-Bass Black MN, Gibson Custom Shop EDS-1275 Cherry (12 & 6 string dual)
Larry Jones
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 834
Re: So is there a way to migrate Sonar projects over to Studio One? 2017/11/23 19:57:30 (permalink)
Kylotan

Sadly there is no explicit migration process, so it's hard work. Here's what worked well enough for me, on the songs I needed to move over:

Great post! Thanks, man, for your diligence on this. It will make a big difference for me.

SONAR Platinum 2017.10 • CbB  Win10 • i7/2600 • 16GB RAM • Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 • NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS
Sacalait
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 552
Re: So is there a way to migrate Sonar projects over to Studio One? 2017/11/23 20:32:23 (permalink)
Yeah, wouldn't it be sweet to have THAT routine written by someone!  In my case, I have 15 years and around 1600 songs that are all in Cakewalk format.  So I'll NO choice but to maintain a computer with a copy of Cakewalk on it down the road.  It would be especially awesome for a routine to open Cakewalk Bundles! Man!  Would THAT save a lot of us some grief down the line!

www.pershingwells.com www.facebook.com/pershingwells
Sonar Platinum, PC- Intel i7-4770K w/16 Gig RAM Windows 8.1, Solid State Drive and eSATA drives, Mytek, RME UFX, RME Multiface II, Roland VS700,  A-Designs Pacifica, UA LA610, Presonus RC500. A-Designs Hammer EQ, DBX, AKG, Neumann, Roland, JBL, Fender, Gibson, G&L, Marshall, Korg, Martin, Shure, Electrovoice, Yamaha, Chameleon Labs comps.
stxx
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 406
Re: So is there a way to migrate Sonar projects over to Studio One? 2017/11/23 20:41:37 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abacab 2017/11/24 03:26:15
Just keep using sonar as it will continue to work. Not sure why the panic.  I still have some software tools that have been running on Windows 8 that started back on Win 95.    If people are that concerned over the future and afraid it will suddenly break (Sonar 8.5 still humming along btw for many users still) then start NEW projects under a new DAW.   If your System is running well, don't upgrade to anymore Windows versions.   YOur music computer SHOULD be dedicated anyway and if not,  get a small notebook to run other generic software and leave your music machine isolated and "frozen"

Sonar Platinum, RME UFX, UAD 2, Waves, Soundtoys, Fronteir Alphatrack, X-Touch as Contl Srfc,  , Console 1, Sweetwater Creation Station Quad Core Win 8.1, Mackie 824, KRK RP5, AKG 240 MKII, Samson C-Control, Sennheiser, Blue,  AKG, RODE,  UA, Grace, Focusrite, Audient, Midas, ART

Song Portfolio:
https://soundcloud.com/allen-lind/sets/oth-short
Sacalait
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 552
Re: So is there a way to migrate Sonar projects over to Studio One? 2017/11/23 20:47:23 (permalink)
Maybe some are "panicking".  I'm not.  I do, however, have concerns for projects years from now.  All my work is in Cakewalk so, yes I'll have to maintain a PC with a copy of Sonar Platinum on it for the duration.  The real life issues are motherboards dying and then no way- or a very painful way- to re-install old OS's.  (Think if we needed to re-install Windows '98 on a computer...).  So there are some very real concerns. 

stxx
Just keep using sonar as it will continue to work. Not sure why the panic.  I still have some software tools that have been running on Windows 8 that started back on Win 95.    If people are that concerned over the future and afraid it will suddenly break (Sonar 8.5 still humming along btw for many users still) then start NEW projects under a new DAW.   If your System is running well, don't upgrade to anymore Windows versions.   YOur music computer SHOULD be dedicated anyway and if not,  get a small notebook to run other generic software and leave your music machine isolated and "frozen"

www.pershingwells.com www.facebook.com/pershingwells
Sonar Platinum, PC- Intel i7-4770K w/16 Gig RAM Windows 8.1, Solid State Drive and eSATA drives, Mytek, RME UFX, RME Multiface II, Roland VS700,  A-Designs Pacifica, UA LA610, Presonus RC500. A-Designs Hammer EQ, DBX, AKG, Neumann, Roland, JBL, Fender, Gibson, G&L, Marshall, Korg, Martin, Shure, Electrovoice, Yamaha, Chameleon Labs comps.
Kylotan
Re: So is there a way to migrate Sonar projects over to Studio One? 2017/11/23 20:58:06 (permalink)
For me personally, as someone who writes music in his DAW, it has never been as simple as just "start NEW projects under a new DAW". I have tens of Sonar projects - maybe even a hundred - that are just full of ideas and potential arrangements, many of which in future will become part of albums I release. I don't expect Sonar Platinum to stop working any time soon. But, what I do expect is to end up with a new computer at some point, and maybe re-installing SPlat onto there will be a problem, if the authentication servers aren't working, or if the downloads aren't available, or if the latest version of Windows at the time makes it hard to run SPlat, or if my new audio interface isn't compatible, or for any number of other unlikely-but-possible unknowns that are hard to recover from. So, I'm migrating projects as I go along

Sonar Platinum (Newburyport) / Win 8.1 64bit / Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Absynth / Kontakt / Play / Superior Drummer 2 / ESP LTD guitar / etc

Twilight's Embrace - gothic/death metal | Other works - instrumental/soundtracks
MagicMike
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 188
Re: So is there a way to migrate Sonar projects over to Studio One? 2017/11/23 22:42:34 (permalink)
Kylotan
  1. S1 doesn't have track templates but it does have FX Chains, so if you have tracks or track templates with a lot of FX involved, consider making and saving FX Chains to speed up the process of setting up these tracks. If you created new per-effect presets as mentioned above this can go pretty quickly

No track templates. That sucks. I love my track templates - I use them extensively.  I'd have to set them up as projects in Studio One? (if I go to S1 of course)

Windows 10 x64, 16 gb RAM,i7 4.2GHz, 250GB Samsung SSD for OS/Programs, SSD for current projects,  1TB Disk for audio and backup project files, RME UCX interface on USB, ASUS motherboard, dual screen setup with latest AMD FX 5450 catalyst drivers for graphics, Cakewalk by Bandlab. Samson Graphite 49 keyboard.
Kylotan
Re: So is there a way to migrate Sonar projects over to Studio One? 2017/11/24 07:19:51 (permalink)
You can have templates for a whole song, and you can have FX chains which are like a preset of several effects rolled into one, but there's no template for single/multiple tracks and everything in them. Whether you will want to replace them with song templates or FX chains depends a bit on your existing usage.

gmp
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1033
Re: So is there a way to migrate Sonar projects over to Studio One? 2017/11/24 08:05:53 (permalink)
I have lots of Acronis images of my C drive, so if I need t go back in time to the way my computer was a year ago, I can easily do that. I also downloaded to my HD every Plat version and everything I installed from Command Center, so if my computer dies, I can reinstall on a new computer. 

Personally I'll likely wait about a year to see if anyone resurrects Cakewalk. I've used their products exclusively since 1992 and have well over 4000 songs. Back before 1995 I was using a tape machine and SMPTE. All audio was recorded to tape and all midi was with Cakewalk. I still have a 266 Win 98 PC that has the SMPTE and very rarely I need to work on one of those ancient projects and convert it to Platinum. So as long as the old computer still works, we can keep our old songs. 

I dread having to learn a new DAW program, but if I do have to make a transition, I'll just start each new song with the new program and not try to migrate any songs unless I have to. Of course if all a song is a bunch of unmixed audio and midi with few FX that will be easy to migrate and then finish in a new program

I'm just hoping and praying that someone picks up the ball and resurrects Cakewalk.

Gerry Peters
Midi Magic Studio
http://gprecordingstudio.com/
Album Productions and Songwriter Resources
Cakewalk By Bandlab, Platinum 64 + 32 bit, Studiocat AsRock Z97 motherboard, Haswell CPU 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM 16GB DDR3/1600, Windows 10 Pro all updates including optional, MOTU AVB Ultralite sound card/Midi interface/Dig mixer, onboard Video HD4600. Midisport 2x2 midi interface, Vienna Instruments, Ivory II piano, Komplete 9, Superior drummer. 5 HD's - OS drive 250GB SSD, Samples drive 1 500GB SSD,  3 data HDs - total of 6.5T
gmp
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1033
Re: So is there a way to migrate Sonar projects over to Studio One? 2017/11/24 17:16:30 (permalink)
DUPLICATE POST - PLEASE DELETE

I have lots of Acronis images of my C drive, so if I need to go back in time to the way my computer was a year ago for instance, I can easily do that. I also downloaded to my HD every Plat version and everything I installed from Command Center, so if my computer dies, I can reinstall on a new computer

Personally I'll likely wait about a year to see if anyone resurrects Cakewalk. I've used their products exclusively since 1992 and have well over 4000 songs. Back before 1996 I was using a tape machine and SMPTE. All audio was recorded to tape and all midi was with Cakewalk. I still have a 266 Win 98 PC that has the SMPTE and very rarely I need to work on one of those ancient projects and convert it to Platinum. So as long as the old computers still work, we can keep our old songs

I dread having to learn a new DAW program, but if I do have to make a transition, I'll just start each new song with the new program and not try to migrate any songs unless I have to. Of course if all a song is a bunch of unmixed audio and midi with few FX that will be easy to migrate and then finish in a new program

I'm just hoping and praying that someone picks up the ball and resurrects Cakewalk.

Gerry Peters
Midi Magic Studio
http://gprecordingstudio.com/
Album Productions and Songwriter Resources
Cakewalk By Bandlab, Platinum 64 + 32 bit, Studiocat AsRock Z97 motherboard, Haswell CPU 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM 16GB DDR3/1600, Windows 10 Pro all updates including optional, MOTU AVB Ultralite sound card/Midi interface/Dig mixer, onboard Video HD4600. Midisport 2x2 midi interface, Vienna Instruments, Ivory II piano, Komplete 9, Superior drummer. 5 HD's - OS drive 250GB SSD, Samples drive 1 500GB SSD,  3 data HDs - total of 6.5T
werewindle
Re: So is there a way to migrate Sonar projects over to Studio One? 2017/11/25 13:59:45 (permalink)
If you are looking to see what VST's Studio One has installed or rejected they can be found in the folder 
"C:\Users\"User name"\AppData\Roaming\PreSonus\Studio One 3\x64\" as opposed to the registry.
The files are in XML format and can be read by Notepad etc.

jimkleban
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1319
Re: So is there a way to migrate Sonar projects over to Studio One? 2017/11/25 15:43:07 (permalink)
It seems to me that any DAW company that was truly interested in supporting the CAKEWALK community, would write a one time program that would:

1) Take  audio and MIDI tracks from CAKE and create the same tracks into their DAW.
2) Insert the same VST plugins from CAKE into these new tracks (require the user to install the same plugins into the new DAW ahead of time).
3) Convert any VSTi tracks from CAKE to their equivalent and load said VSTi into new DAW project.
4) Recreate any bus routings with PLUGINs inserted into the new buss track.
5) Probably the most important to me, convert SONARs TEMPO map into the new DAW project.

I am not a programmer but this doesn't seem like that big of deal to me to create and would require CAKEWALK to share the proprietary file format with these developers to make this happen.

Even if I only could get Items 1, 2 and 5 automatically converted, it would save me a ton of time compared to manually moving the audio, midi tracks and then recreating tempo maps.

Any new DAW that develops this feature will get my dollars since they pretty much all do the same thing from my point of view.

Just my 2 cents

The Lamb Laid Down on MIDI
www.lldom.com

Studio Cat Custom i7 with Thunderbolt (wonderful system built and configured by our own Jim R)
Apollo Duo (via TB)
UAD Quad
UAD Duo
WIN 8.1 x64 with 32 GB Ram
4 SSD for programs and sample libraries
Splat (latest version)
jude77
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1146
Re: So is there a way to migrate Sonar projects over to Studio One? 2017/11/25 16:15:22 (permalink)
Kylotan
I edited my post above, but the forum has completely deleted it instead. So here it is again:

I moved over to Studio One a year or so ago, and with recent events, I feel I'm one of the lucky ones.

1. Take screenshots of Track and/or Console view to make sure you know which tracks and instruments you need to re-create in the destination project, what tempo you want, etc. If you're doing this for a lot of songs, you probably want to spend an hour or so in Studio One making a big song template with all the tracks and instruments you are likely to want, so you don't have to do this manually each time. It's easier to delete unwanted tracks after using a comprehensive template than it is to have to add them over and over again for each song.
  2. Use the preset capabilities built in to individual plugins to ensure that your settings are saved outside of all the DAWs, and then you can load that custom preset in the effect or instrument once it's inserted into Studio One.
  3. S1 doesn't have track templates but it does have FX Chains, so if you have tracks or track templates with a lot of FX involved, consider making and saving FX Chains to speed up the process of setting up these tracks. If you created new per-effect presets as mentioned above this can go pretty quickly.
  4. MIDI clips can be dragged from Sonar to the Windows Desktop and then dragged right into an instrument track in Studio One. Save time on projects with lots of clips by combining all the clips in a track before doing this.
  5. Audio clips can be exported via File > Export > Audio. Make sure you do Select All beforehand, or explicitly select the region you care about. Choose 'Tracks' in the export dialog, and make sure your Mix Enables checkboxes do what you want. If you're confident you can recreate the FX chain in Studio 1, you can clear Track FX. If you're not confident, perhaps because you use Sonar-specific stuff like Pro Channel, you might want to leave it selected and print the effects into the exported audio. (While you're there, consider exporting buses and/or the entire mix too, if you can spare the disk space.) Again, audio files can be dragged into an audio track in Studio One. (It will usually prompt you to copy them into the song's media directory later. DO NOT DELETE THE TRACKS EXPORTED FROM SONAR UNTIL YOU ARE 100% CONFIDENT THAT STUDIO ONE HAS A NEW COPY UNDER THE SONG DIRECTORY. USE THE MENU OPTION SONG>COPY EXTERNAL FILES IF NECESSARY.) You're almost certainly going to need to bounce down any Region FX or Clip FX, but the latter at least can be re-applied quite easily in S1.
Another helpful thing to know is that you can usually have S1 and Sonar running at the same time, which makes it easier to compare the layouts, and even the tone upon playback. You may need to switch driver models from ASIO to something else, at least in one of the DAWs.

Great stuff here.  Thank you SOOOOOOOOO much!

You haven't lived until you've taken the Rorschach.

Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit /6th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)/16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory/ NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 730 with 2GB DDR3 Graphics Memory/ Dell KB216 Wired Multi-Media Keyboard English Black/ 802.11ac + Bluetooth
4.0/Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio Pro/Wireless 3165 driver
aghschwabe
  • Total Posts : 37
Re: So is there a way to migrate Sonar projects over to Studio One? 2017/11/25 16:40:18 (permalink)
I don't really think so, but I'm still working on it. I started a big long-term project two months ago and I need stability so I've just switched over to Studio One 3 (I can mourn Cakewalk AND be productive). The 1/2 price offer from PreSonus made it a no-brainer. I went with the full-pro version for $250. I'm discovering it may be a a bargain at twice the price.

That said, I've been madly porting over my long-term project files (which are all audio). This pretty straightforward. Export your project to an OMF, save the OMF in its own folder and select the "Reference Audio Externally" (so it saves wave files and the OMF index, rather than everything contained within the OMF, which doesn't seem to work as well). Importing the OMF is still awkward since there aren't my presents, plugins or volume curves, but it works ok. It actually works better going from S1 to SONAR (tried it for the heck of it). 

MIDI projects are another story. It's clear there's no easy way (at all) to port a SPlat .cwp file to a PreSonus .song file. Nothing does that and I doubt anyone will code anything that will - there are so many variables that I doubt it's worth the effort.

The reality is this: Cakewalk is at end of life, and my job isn't. So having made the switch I'm going to live a dual life. The learning curve is shallow and short for Sonarians - besides, all the concepts are the same. Mostly it's learning new nomenclature and where the buttons and menu items are.

SONAR is now my archive/retrieval system. If there's anything there I REALLY need, I'll kludge together a hacked MIDI 1 file and suffer through a rebuild to have a native project in S1.

So ultimately, unless some kind angel writes a script or app to port cwp over to song files, we're kind of stuck. I'm not happy about it, but I can live with it. And again, OMF is a half-reasonable solution but really you end up with audio files and a reassembly job in S1 because SONAR's OMF export isn't very good (OMF has its limits and is out of development too).

That's my experience/direction so far.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1