Soft Synth Confusion

Author
Greek2Me
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 272
2006/09/23 21:56:16 (permalink)

Soft Synth Confusion

Since installing a EMU 0404, several settings offer the options E-DSP and Edirol. Can somebody explain the difference and when/why use one over the other?

Thanks.

Ginoskein auton kai gnoridzo auton, touto ho skopos moi

To know Him, and to make Him known, this my goal.

4 Replies Related Threads

RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: Soft Synth Confusion 2006/09/23 22:41:40 (permalink)
    This one's more clear cut.
    You would select the E-DSP option to send to an external device, such as your keyboard if it has the capability to produce sound from MIDI. Select Edirol(or the soft synth of your choice) to use it to produce sound.
    Greek2Me
    RE: Soft Synth Confusion 2006/09/23 23:13:55 (permalink)
    I have two old synthesizer modules, a BIT-01 and a Korg EX-800 (no keyboard, just the "brain"). Am I correct then that I would use the E-DSP to send Cakewalk files to these OR Edirol to play files back thru my computer? It's one way or the other, but not both (at least simultaneously)?

So if I wanted to use the sounds from the external modules would I then route the output from these back into the sound card to record audio from them? Would I have to pass the signal thru an amp first, or just back to the card?

Also: when I insert an audio track and add the Edirol FX (per tutorial #8), why does it change the output to E-DSP instead of Edirol? It plays (although I have some issues I'm trying to work out in another thread...). It's just confusing.

And here's one more, since I'm on a roll (or perhaps a kaiser bun...) I saw a screen shot of MC3 that appears to have the Dreamstation, yet ANOTHER option that magically appeared with the installation of my EMU card. Where does one figure out how to work THAT little little toy?

Thanks.

RMc
    57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: Soft Synth Confusion 2006/09/24 09:52:08 (permalink)
    Dreamstation has a 'help' button, and I think it's in the tutorials with a title like "Working with DXi instruments". Greg

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Greek2Me
    RE: Soft Synth Confusion 2006/09/24 20:28:05 (permalink)
    Gregy, on a GOOD day I have about four brain cells that still function. It's going to take WAY more than "help"! (LOL)

I see a trip to the music store in search of MIDI books in my near future.

Thanks.

Ginoskein auton kai gnoridzo auton, touto ho skopos moi

To know Him, and to make Him known, this my goal.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1