Solo Piano 001

Author
Threality
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
2005/03/31 17:39:45 (permalink)

Solo Piano 001

I just started designing my own site and this is one of the songs I had somewhat ready for posting...Any thoughts?

There are two songs on this page, but the song I would like some input on is titled 001...

however, feel free to check out the other one as well while you're there. The second song was written for a gymnastics floor routine...it is nothing too special though.

Threality - 001

5 Replies Related Threads

ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: Solo Piano 001 2005/04/01 10:17:03 (permalink)
    This has nice motif. I see that you've written for a specific purpose, however for it to work as a stand alone piece it need more development (imho).
    Threality
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Solo Piano 001 2005/04/02 01:46:57 (permalink)
    Thanks for the input...
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    RE: Solo Piano 001 2005/04/02 21:32:00 (permalink)
    however, feel free to check out the other one as well while you're there. The second song was written for a gymnastics floor routine...it is nothing too special though.

well .. i'm a pianist by training . . (and remember the dipthong after the "i" ;-) ) In my opinion,
    you actually started to play the piece at around 3:18.
    I'll offer the following suggestions:

1. You don't need to play in rigid time on a solo piano piece .. use timing to ebb and flow and
    add feel to the piece. Someone in the modern era who is a genius at this is Glen
    Gould ... Lyle Mays is pretty darn good too.
    2. The modern piano has remarkable dynamic range ... use it! Plan your crescendos well .. and
    build around them. Going from loud to quiet passages and building brings out the best in a piano piece...
    they don't call it fortisimo for nothin, My feeling with your piece is that it's kind of like a compressor ..
    the range got smooshed out.
    3. The piano also covers a remarkable tonal range ... only a pipe-organ does more (outside of the realm of
    synthesizers). But, you need to approach the ranges a lot like an orchestra .. emphasizing the right
    ranges and changing which ranges are accentuated adds interest to a piano piece. Not letting one range
    dominate throughout a piece is very important .. with yours , I feel the left hand (I'm guessing around
    A3) is far too prominent throughout the piece. I think your goal was to drive it along with the left hand
    octave / strong time approach .. but it becomes tiresome and forced after a bit.

Using the above, you can keep it moving along .. but in more than one dimension .. and that's interesting.....
    Other ideas are to subtly alter each verse .. and/or throw in a key change to add color as you go.

I think the piece has potential .. but as Ed suggests .. it needs more work in order to stand by itself.

Jeff

Ona
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 228
    RE: Solo Piano 001 2005/04/02 22:01:23 (permalink)
    I'm not a great pianist by any stretch.... just to make that known... but a couple things I'd like to hear on this one are (a) more dynamics, a little more expressive life, and (b) a little more 'verb... that's probably an Ona thing though, I'm a fan of spaciousness, not to the point of mud, but... well, you get the idea... It's a very pleasant tune!

reallifer
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 236
    RE: Solo Piano 001 2005/04/02 23:52:46 (permalink)
    Nice piece. The left hand is WAY too loud. Should be an easy edit if your using midi.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1