[Solved] Apollo interface

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Bluescruiser
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11
2012/08/29 07:34:12 (permalink)

[Solved] Apollo interface

Anybody out there know anything about using an Apollol AD16-X ( or similar) with Sonar? Or are Apollo products too Pro Tools specific?
 And if so, what is a good upgrade from my Tascam 1641 to something in the Apollo price range?

40 Replies Related Threads

DeeringAmps
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2614
    Re:Apollo interface 2012/08/29 09:42:11 (permalink)
    Do we have windows drivers for the Apollo yet?

Get the RME UFX, you'll never look back.

RME is always on top of things driver wise.

T

Tom Deering
    Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
    Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
    StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
    Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:Apollo interface 2012/08/29 11:37:23 (permalink)
    I never heard of the Apollo AD16-X and bing has never hear dof it neither. As a search came up with nothing.

I would stick with what is proven to work good and not purchase somethnig that you have no idea if it has good drivers, good pre-amps, good converters and so on.

Focusrite, MOTU, & RMe are all proven to work good. Get one of those

Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    tacman7
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 176
    Re:Apollo interface 2012/08/29 12:11:25 (permalink)
    Universal Audio is pretty well thought of.

The UAD products work well with computers I've used them on.

http://www.sweetwater.com.tore/search.php?s=apollo

Lot of money but I'd sure like one.

Have to get a thunderbolt port on your computer though, I think.

May be he's talking about something else...
    DeeringAmps
    Re:Apollo interface 2012/08/29 13:29:22 (permalink)
    http://www.uaudio.com/int...atures;scroll=features

* Compatible with Mac OS X 10.6 and 10.7; Windows 7 support coming 2012.

T

Tom Deering

Win10x64

RME UFX (Audio)
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:Apollo interface 2012/08/29 13:34:32 (permalink)
    DeeringAmps

Get the RME UFX, you'll never look back.

+7.9887676477695734
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Apollo interface 2012/08/29 13:41:13 (permalink)
    Not sure if you are talking apogee etc or UAD Apollo.

The Apollo is new and few reviews - SOS had one in the last month or so.  It looks like a good unit, like many others, but includes the UAD card(s).  This lets you add UAD effects going in, as well as post recording.  Cool.  AS UAD has said, they were going for clean preamps/conversion and let the software add the girth.  As such, the UAD ought to be more than competent for a $1000+ interface (minus the card).  RME, TC etc. have good (read pro) conversion in that price/feature area.

One caveat for the PC crowd - the drivers aren't available yet (the last I heard).  If you are running SONAR on a PC you would want to wait to hear how well the software makes it out of vaporware. 

As a side note, I've talked w/ more than 1 pro who has switched to UAD effects over analog mixing because "it sounds good enough" and recall.  They lose too much time (ie. money) doing the required "fixes" in analog.  So the UAD ought to work for us who haven't moved millions of units.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    DeeringAmps
    Re:Apollo interface 2012/08/29 15:53:03 (permalink)
    Hey OP,
    You talking UAD Apollo? or Apogee 16X http://apogeedigital.com/products/x-series.php ?

Tom Deering

Win10x64

RME UFX (Audio)
    StarTekh
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2007
    Re:Apollo interface 2012/08/29 22:01:23 (permalink)
    Blues: the top unit is http://www.uaudio.com/apollo ..so far window,thunderbolt is not supported ...on a good note there are good thnderbolt boards on 1155 socket...http://ca.asus.com/en/Mot...P8Z77V_PROTHUNDERBOLT/ and .. the http://ca.gigabyte.com/pr...ge.aspx?pid=4280#ov... I would think they will want to support win 8 so it might be a bit delayd !!
    Anderton
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re:Apollo interface 2012/08/30 02:59:40 (permalink)
    I'm very familiar with the Universal Audio Apollo, and have been doing a Pro Review of it over at Harmony Central. It's currently Mac-only, and while it's compatible with FireWire 400, it needs FireWire 800 to reach full bandwidth.

The Thunderbolt interface is optional-at-extra-cost; my sense is that it will ship in September, and sooner rather than later.

Windows drivers are not yet available, and I haven't gotten a firm timeline on when they're expected. When they do, I'll have to buy a FireWire 800 card for my computer... 

My fave feature is that the preamps are totally colorless, so if you use some of UA's console or channel strip emulation plugs, they have a very obvious effect. Also, there's UA DSP built-in, and you can monitor through them with virtually no latency...makes vocalists very happy, and you can print with effects easily, as well as record a dry feed if you think you might want to change the settings later.

I've had very good luck using the UAD-2 Quad board with Sonar X1, so I suspect that when Apollo has drivers, it will work well with Sonar too. If not...they'll hear about it in the Pro Review.

One of the more relevant Sonar aspects regarding UA's plug-ins is that Sonar's plugs are more bread-and-butter processors, whereas UA tends to produce more specialized plugs. IOW if you want a decent reverb or delay, Sonar can give them to you. But if you want a Lexicon 224 or Echorec Tape delay emulation, that's where UA shines. They complement each other well.
    todd_bates
    • Total Posts : 28
    Re:Apollo interface 2016/11/19 18:40:02 (permalink)
    I just purchased an Apollo 8 TB for Windows and have it installed.  Sonar did a great job finding the interface and when I played a project recorded in Sonar back I hear all the tracks.  Cool.  However I am getting an annoying delay that the UAD manual says is an input latency.  I am supposed to either turn off something in the UAD console or in Sonar.  If someone is using an Apollo 8 with Sonar (I am using Platinum) I would love to know what your Sonar setting are and how to rid of this delay.

Any help is really appreciated!
    Sheanes
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 684
    Re:Apollo interface 2016/11/19 19:27:41 (permalink)
    I'd wait for a PC (Desktop) with a Thunderbolt 3 port....they should be available shortly.
    Then you could use the Apollo to it's full potential...

Personally probably wait for an RME Thunderbolt 3 / Windows version....will be half the price and same quality somewhat (or better I don't know)...
    Just not sure if an Apollo has Midi ports..
    Anderton
    Re:Apollo interface 2016/11/19 19:49:47 (permalink)
    todd_bates
     I am supposed to either turn off something in the UAD console or in Sonar.  If someone is using an Apollo 8 with Sonar (I am using Platinum) I would love to know what your Sonar setting are and how to rid of this delay.

See Post #8 in my Pro Review of Apollo Twin USB. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    todd_bates
    Re:Apollo interface 2016/11/19 21:58:00 (permalink)
    My new PC does have TB capability.  The MB has a USB 3.1C port and the TB drivers so it worked fine as far as installation goes.  Apollo 8 does not have MIDI ports but that was never a concern for me as I haven't done MIDI work in years.

todd_bates
    Re:Apollo interface 2016/11/19 22:16:19 (permalink)
    Mr.  Anderton, you have saved the day, sir!  I am using my TB capability via USB3 and when I made the changes you suggested I was able to get to a round trip latency of:  
    Input:    3.5 msec, 156 samples
    Output:  1.9 msec, 84 samples
    Total Roundtrip:  5.4 msec, 240 samples
    This is at a Sampling Rate of 44100

When I shut down, restarted both the Apollo Console and Sonar I listened to a project and it was like night and day!!!

I decided to follow your lead and change the sampling rate to 96000 just to see what would happen.
    Input:    1.6 msec, 156 samples
    Output:  0.9 msec, 84 samples
    Total Roundtrip:  2.5 msec, 240 samples

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your post and advice.

Given what I've seen, and since 44100 sample rate seemed to solve the issue from a practical sense, do you recommend I stay at 44100 or keep it at 96000?

Billy Buck
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2101
    Re:Apollo interface 2016/11/20 08:59:00 (permalink)
    todd_bates
    I was able to get to a round trip latency of:  
    Input:    3.5 msec, 156 samples
    Output:  1.9 msec, 84 samples
    Total Roundtrip:  5.4 msec, 240 samples
    This is at a Sampling Rate of 44100

I decided to follow your lead and change the sampling rate to 96000 just to see what would happen.
    Input:    1.6 msec, 156 samples
    Output:  0.9 msec, 84 samples
    Total Roundtrip:  2.5 msec, 240 samples

Hey Todd, so you are using the latest Apollo generation "Blackfaces" with Win 10/TB3 via the new universal USB 3.1 connectors? What is the lowest available audio buffer size available @ 44.1K? It appears from those latency specs the Apollo is using PCIe audio drivers via TB. Those RT latency specs look great and are in line with Apollo TB RT specs found on the Mac. 

I currently have an Apollo Twin Duo/Satellite USB combo. I get a RT latency of 8.4 msec @ 44.1k using a 64 sample buffer size (lowest available) which works absolutely fine for me. I do most of my recording via the Apollo Console using UAD plug-ins in realtime on the front end and avoid the added audio buffers and round trip latencies altogether.

Cheers,

Billy Buck

Win 10 Pro x64 | i7 4770k | ASUS Z87 Deluxe/Quad w/ TB 2.0 | 16GB Corsair RAM | Apollo Twin Duo USB | UAD Satellite Octo USB | UAD-2 Quad + UAD-2 Solo PCIe | SONAR Platinum x64 | REAPER 5 x64| TranzPort

todd_bates
    Re:Apollo interface 2016/11/20 12:18:37 (permalink)
    Hi Billy,
    So I had to actually build a new PC in order to use the Apollo 8 (duo) using Thunderbolt. I had t make sure the MB had the USB 3.1c port, even used a board that UAD had tested and certified. I was worried to death about being an early ish adopter of TB via Windows. I was a little concerned newer pcie 4 slots with my existing UAD2 quad card, but everything seems to be working pretty nicely now. It is still early but I am cautiously optimistic. I am sure I will be a frequent visitor of the forum for a bit.

:)

Thanks to everyone for the info and encouragement!
    Anderton
    Re:Apollo interface 2016/11/20 12:53:20 (permalink)
    todd_bates
     I am sure I will be a frequent visitor of the forum for a bit.

...and I hope a contributor too, so you can tell us what life is like on the "bleeding edge."

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    todd_bates
    Re:Apollo interface 2016/11/20 15:26:08 (permalink)
    Well, that didn't take long.  lol
    While the latency issues are resolved now I am getting drop outs.  A lot of them.  I am experimenting with all sorts of different caching settings and buffer sizes to see if I can find something to indicate a pattern or root cause.  If I find anything I will be happy to share.  If anyone else finds anything I would love to hear from you.
    Sheanes
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 684
    Re:Apollo interface 2016/11/20 15:45:00 (permalink)
    hey Todd, helped me to uncheck 'enable read and write caching'
    find it here:  Preferences, Audio, Sync and Caching

Also I have some projects that somehow only will work if I save them to my desktop.
    It sounds strange I know....tried to save those project under new names, in new folders elsewhere, with copying the audio into the new location....without succes...
    And then when I make changes to such a project, it will give me audio engine dropouts.
    I then save the file, close and reopen and it's fine.

Also launching Sonar from a taskbar icon, makes it open faster on my Windows 7 machine.
    todd_bates
    Re:Apollo interface 2016/11/20 16:21:51 (permalink)
    Thanks for the suggestions, Sheanes.  When I edited my cache settings I made sure these were unchecked so that wasn't the issue, sadly.  By the way, what do you have the caching set to?  Mine was 512 when I used the Focurite Liquid Saffire 56 (my former unit).  I have since changed it to 1024 as part of my experimentation but that hasn't helped.

I took your suggestion and changed everything to my desktop.  Same thing.  Tried a new song, moved it to desktop...same thing.

Not even close to giving up, though!  lol

I will say the Apollo does make the song sound amazing.  I liked it before...it's even punchier and cleaner with the Apollo.

todd_bates
    Re:Apollo interface 2016/11/23 17:08:27 (permalink)
    I noticed that if I play the songs with no plug ins the drops stop.  To me that sounds like I am running out of DSP to run the plug ins.

I have a Quad pcie card and I have played this song hundreds of times.  The Apollo 8 is a DUO.  I am wondering if the Apollo is trying to run all the plugins from 2 Cores rather than letting the QUAD card do its share of the work.  MY understanding is that with my set up I have effectively a 6 core system so I should be able to run a ton of plug ins. 

I am trying to check in with UAD support to see if there is a setting I may have missed.  Will let you know what I find out.
    todd_bates
    Re:Apollo interface 2016/11/30 11:58:00 (permalink)
    Friendly update.  Not sure what I did right but things seem to be working really well now.  I am sure a lot of it was a steep learning curve.  The only thing happening now is that the song stops when I add a new plug in while in play, never used to happen, and my icons are not present when I save a song (project or bundle).  The second thing is odd, not a problem per se.

todd_bates
    Re:Apollo interface 2016/12/04 13:47:04 (permalink)
    Not sure if anyone is interested in my journey as I get my new gear set up but here is the latest:

• Built new computer (intel i7 6700K Skylake Quad Core, Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 MB, 32 Gb RAM)
    • Upgraded to the latest version of Sonar (Sonar Platinum 22.10.0 [2016.10] 64 Bit)
    • Fresh install of Windows 10 Home edition 64 Bit
    • UAD APollo 8 Thunderbolt
    • Worked through a lot of minor but annoying issues.  Forum members were incredibly kind sharing their settings and configs of their ASIO drivers which helped get me into what I would describe as a moderately stable place.

As of now I am able to get through a recording session and playback of any song I have done so far with no dropouts.  That being said, if I try to do any on the fly editing (adding plugins, editing plugins, etc) the song stops immediately.  It doesn't crash, though.  I just hit space bar and it picks up from where it left off.  As long as I don't do any real time/on the fly messing around I can get through what I am trying to do.  This is good, but not ideal.  

Still looking for any thoughts from anyone who has been there/done that.  Hoping this helps anyone else looking to build a similar set up!

One other thing...I was reading about ASIO4ALL drivers.  Any thoughts?  Good?  Bad?  Ho hum?

todd_bates
    Re:Apollo interface 2016/12/10 12:47:04 (permalink)
    After some time getting to know my system I am learning that the more I can get off of Sonar the better off I am.  I am using Sonar almost totally as an audio recording delivery system and all the mixing and EQ work is being done via UAD/Apollo.  Admittedly, I am a UAD devotee but the fewer things I use Sonar for the fewer crashes I get.  

While it is possible I have something fubar going on with my system and I just have not figured out what... I am still getting multiple instances per session where Sonar will crash with no reason given.  I can't predict when this will happen, I have to save literally every time I do any edit for fear of losing it and having to start over.  The less I use Sonar to do any edits the few crashes occur.

This is a sad post, I get it, but this is my life with this product I love/despise.

:(

Flathead Studios
    todd_bates
    Re:Apollo interface 2016/12/23 12:16:47 (permalink)
    ...so I went out and bought a new SSD hard drive, reinstalled everything...Windows 10, Sonar Platinum, UAD latest version, etc.  Still having incredibly frequent dropout.  I have noticed that the dropouts only seem to occur frequently when using the UAD plugins.  If I turn them all off and only use Cakewalk plugins or Waves or S-Gear or anything else things seem to be fine.  

I will be bringing that up to Cakewalk support and to UAD support.  In the meantime Win 10 has this annoying habit of showing a pop up box at the lower right each time a dropout occurs.  Anyone have any idea how to shut that down?

Flathead Studios
    Anderton
    Re:Apollo interface 2016/12/23 12:42:16 (permalink)
    Man, I wish I could help. I have a "Studio B" that's based around an Apollo Twin USB and it runs smooth as silk. FWIW I don't use the plug-ins as VSTs, I do the Console thing and you probably do too...I assume your systems meets the Windows specs on the UA web site, including the Thunderbolt-to-Thunderbolt adapter:
    • PC computer with built-in Thunderbolt 3 via USB-C port
    • Windows 10 w/Anniversary Update (64-Bit Edition)
    • Qualified Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter* (sold separately)
    *See the Apollo Thunderbolt Windows Compatibility article for details

Because I haven't had problems I can't say "yeah, I had a problem but I fixed it by..."  However, I did notice you have a gaming card. I don't know if it installed "HD" drivers but I have found out the hard way that simpler cards are better, and lacking that, disabling any drivers added by the card as part of its software can be really problematic. The reason why is gaming cards prioritize frame rates over audio. There are even cards that basically just stop audio streaming when they feel like it, so the only solution is either a) really high latency settings or b) having dropouts at lower settings.

todd_bates
    Re:Apollo interface 2016/12/23 14:40:37 (permalink)
    Bummer.  I got this MB because I thought it would be a kick butt board and would position me with a strong system for the next few years.  I did go and remove all the NVIDEA programs related to 3D or gaming and left just the graphics program functioning.  I also removed all the Audio programs that were loaded from the CD so the only audio option I have is UAD.

Flathead Studios
    todd_bates
    Re:Apollo interface 2016/12/23 15:13:57 (permalink)
    Holy Baloney!!!!

So I followed some advice gleaned from the ever knowledgeable Mr Anderton and removed any audio programs that looked to be gaming specific (any audio other than UAD and any graphics from NVIDEA that were not needed) and then set CPU parking to 0 (default from 64, or 100%) and then set some max power options from 5% to 100% as stated in another post....problem seems to have vanished!

While a song was playing I deleted each plug in (there were a lot) and no impact on performance.  No drop outs.
    I added plugins while the song was playing...no drop outs.  I copied and pasted a simple UAD EQ plug in across 24 channels...no drop outs.  I edited plug ins while the song was playing...no drop outs.

This just happened so I am not sure if I will eventually hit a limit and see the issue again, but at least for today this is the best experience I have had in many many months!!

Flathead Studios
    todd_bates
    Re:Apollo interface 2016/12/23 16:18:14 (permalink)
    For the love of....

So my joy lasted exactly one reboot.  As soon as I rebooted my system the same old garbage started happening.  Back to being a sad pup.

Flathead Studios
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1