[Solved] Application configuration is Incorrect???

Author
UnderTow
Max Output Level: -37 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3848
2007/05/10 07:03:04 (permalink)

[Solved] Application configuration is Incorrect???

Hi all,

I installed MS VC++ 2005 Express, Windows platform SDK and updated the .NET Framework to 2.0 yesterday to do some VST coding and since then when I try to launch Sonar I get the following error:

"This application failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling this application may fix this problem."

Has anyone else seen this? Is there a quick fix or do I just have to bite the bullet and reinstall?

Does this mean that Sonar is using stuff from the .NET Framework? Does it matter wether one uses the 1.1 or 2.0 Framework?

Puzzeled,

UnderTow

PS: Or is this totaly unrelated?
post edited by UnderTow - 2007/05/10 09:54:38

7 Replies Related Threads

RJN
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 178
    RE: Application configuration is Incorrect??? 2007/05/10 07:22:07 (permalink)
    I've been using Visual Studio with VB, C# and C++ and SQL Server 2005 with no interference with Sonar. In Control Panel I see that the .Net framework 1.1 is still installed [since I'm on Windows Vista, I also have Net 2.0 and 3.0 installed]. Your installation shouldn't have removed the 1.1 framework. Re-installing Sonar isn't really too much of a hassle is it?

Rob
    --------
    Core i7, 3.4 GHz, 16Gb RAM, Win 10 Pro (64-bit), 2 Tb HD, SONAR Platinum Producer , Roland Quad Capture, Alesis QS8 
    rjnorwich.worpress.com
    UnderTow
    RE: Application configuration is Incorrect??? 2007/05/10 08:27:47 (permalink)
    Ah. I removed the 1.1 framework myself. I thought it might conflict.

And no, reinstalling Sonar is no big deal but maybe someone had some brilliant tip like "Click on that and all your problems are solved and btw, 1 million Euro will be transfered to your bank account". But alas. :)

UnderTow
    post edited by UnderTow - 2007/05/10 08:28:29
    UnderTow
    RE: Application configuration is Incorrect??? 2007/05/10 09:16:47 (permalink)
    The plot thickens.

When reinstalling Sonar I get the following error:

H:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities\CW15Auto.dll

Unable to register the DLL/OCX: LoadLibrary failed; code 14001.
    This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect.
    &c.

Hmmm....

UnderTow

UnderTow
    RE: Application configuration is Incorrect??? 2007/05/10 09:55:10 (permalink)
    Deleting CW15Auto.dll solved the problem.

UnderTow
    rosh
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: RE: Application configuration is Incorrect??? 2010/07/05 08:47:42 (permalink)
    Hi!

I have a similar problem (probably) - i started getting the same message: "This application failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling this application may fix this problem."

I think it happened after I installed GIMPshop on my computer - if I remember correctly this process also installed NET framework 2.0. Could this be the problem and how can I solve it?

Thanks,

Uroš
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: RE: Application configuration is Incorrect??? 2010/07/05 13:16:37 (permalink)
    I don't know what CW15Auto.dll does, so I'd be reluctant to delete it as a workaround. The FileDescription property says it's an "Automation Server", which doesn't tell me very much.

Failure to register an ActiveX DLL usually means a missing or unregistered dependency. The only external dependencies that aren't standard Windows components are MSVCR80.DLL and MSVCP80.DLL, both part of the C++ runtime.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
    Cakewalk Staff
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: Application configuration is Incorrect??? 2010/07/06 07:48:51 (permalink)
    Some details below:

The CWxxAuto.dll is a dll (a COM server really) that hosts all the automation functions for SONAR.
    It handles all the parameter and envelope automation capabilities. Each version has its own automation dll. Deleting it permanently will certainly hose your SONAR installation and prevent the application from launching. If you temporarily deleted it and then reinstalled that would be OK since the installer would put it back.

COM dll's need to be registered (using regsvr32) to put COM object identification information into the registry (just like DX plugins do) A somewhat rare problem that happens when people install is that the automatic registration from the installer fails for some reason. One reason can be if Windows denies access to the registry (antivirus or malware blockers often prevent registry access). Another typical reason for a failure to register the dll is that some dependency is missing on your system. 

All dependent files are installed by our installer via the Microsoft C++ redistributable.  We only require the appropriate C runtime dlls. There is no dependency on .NET at all since SONAR does not use any managed code - its all native. (Some plugins might use .NET but that wouldn't cause SONAR to fail to load). The redistributable installer can fail for the same reasons cited above. If this is unsuccessful, you will now have an automation dll which will fail to register itself. This will cause the app to fail to launch as well. BTW you should never manually uninstall the redist from add/remove programs since that will cause the same problem. Installing an earlier version of the redistributable via some other application (in your case VS2005 express) shouldn' t normally cause an issue since multiple versions of the redist can co-exist on the machine and the files have different names and dependencies. If installing something broke this that would imply a buggy redistributable installer.

The simplest solution in such cases is to first try and manually register the object from a command prompt by running the command on the appropriate dll:
    regsvr32 CWxxAuto.dll
    If that succeeds you should be good to go. If not, first reboot your system clean, then delete the CWxxAuto.dll file and rerun the installer (choose minimal install of just the program) to reinstall the file and redo the registration. In most cases this is all thats required to fix the problem. 

PS: A useful (somewhat technical) diagnostic tool for resolving issues like this in general is Dependency Walker. It shows all the static dependencies of a given exe or dll on the system allowing you to troubleshoot what exactly is missing.
    http://www.dependencywalker.com/
    post edited by Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk] - 2010/07/06 07:57:58

Noel Borthwick
    Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
    My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1