Helpful Reply[Solved] Delete hole not working at all

Author
lapasoa
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 193
2016/03/10 16:18:36 (permalink)

[Solved] Delete hole not working at all

Before Newburyport update it was really uneasy using "delete hole" to delete clips and remove the space in the track where the clips had been.
With Newburyport update delete hole does not working at all.
Because delete hole is of utmost importance for composing and arrange a song, I hope the bakers will find a way to really solve this issue.
post edited by lapasoa - 2016/03/17 08:58:01
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Delete hole not working at all 2016/03/10 17:46:43 (permalink)
It should work as expected with audio. Whether it works with MIDI or not depends. If a note overlaps a split, SONAR will not cut a note in half. Before splitting a section to delete a hole and MIDI is involved, I split MIDI notes manually. 

You might also find this Friday's Tip of the Week for Week 76, "Super EZ Arranging in SONAR," helpful. But instead of moving song sections around or cutting/pasting, do Delete Special with Delete Hole.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
meh
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 431
Re: Delete hole not working at all 2016/03/10 18:53:56 (permalink)
I think since Newbury the delete hole is working but if you are trying to remove a fraction of a measure.  It will only delete whole measures.

rafone

SONAR Version 2017.09
HP Z-420 Workstation
Intel Xeon W3680 @3.50ghz 
32g memory
2tb disk space 
Win2008 Server R2 Standard 64-bit
TASCAM US-1641 interface
lapasoa
Re: Delete hole not working at all 2016/03/11 07:13:51 (permalink)
In a song with AD2 drums I wanted to delete, using delete hole, the first two meausures of the song in which there were only some audio clips.
Sonar just erases audio clips but does not remove the space in the tracks.
dude24man
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 357
Re: Delete hole not working at all 2016/03/11 18:53:39 (permalink)
I still use sonar 8.5 and sonar plat. when I hit delete in 8.5, the delete dialog opens up and you can delete the hole. Platinum does not do this. you have hit cut and then the dialog box opens. I wish platinum was like 8.5. 
Anderton
Re: Delete hole not working at all 2016/03/11 19:20:49 (permalink)
lapasoa
In a song with AD2 drums I wanted to delete, using delete hole, the first two meausures of the song in which there were only some audio clips.
Sonar just erases audio clips but does not remove the space in the tracks.

Hmmm...can't replicate. I wonder what the difference is.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
lapasoa
Re: Delete hole not working at all 2016/03/12 03:30:33 (permalink)
The difference is that when you have a project with a mix of AD2 midi track and audio tracks the "delete hole" does not work.
meh
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 431
Re: Delete hole not working at all 2016/03/12 08:55:57 (permalink)
lapasoa
The difference is that when you have a project with a mix of AD2 midi track and audio tracks the "delete hole" does not work.

How many measures is the AD midi clip?

rafone

SONAR Version 2017.09
HP Z-420 Workstation
Intel Xeon W3680 @3.50ghz 
32g memory
2tb disk space 
Win2008 Server R2 Standard 64-bit
TASCAM US-1641 interface
chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Delete hole not working at all 2016/03/12 09:08:05 (permalink)
try bouncing the midi track (bounce to clips) select the whole region, bounce it then try delete whole.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

lapasoa
Re: Delete hole not working at all 2016/03/12 11:42:19 (permalink)
hi rafone, AD2 midi clip measures start at measure 6 and go till the end of the song.
VariousArtist
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1397
Re: Delete hole not working at all 2016/03/12 12:14:20 (permalink)
Please consider voting for this feature request in regards to easier/better/results-consistent-with-expectations of cutting/pasting rearrangements:

http://forum.cakewalk.com...spx?m=3376561&fp=6
Anderton
Re: Delete hole not working at all 2016/03/12 14:51:44 (permalink)
lapasoa
hi rafone, AD2 midi clip measures start at measure 6 and go till the end of the song.

Are you sure that some MIDI notes don't straddle the place when you want to split?

lapasoa
Re: Delete hole not working at all 2016/03/15 11:44:01 (permalink)
Hi Craig,
sorry for the delay. Yes I'm sure.
AD2 starts playing exactly at the first beat of meausure 6.
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Delete hole not working at all 2016/03/15 11:46:41 (permalink)
you should report this officially using the bug reporter

just a sec

lapasoa
Re: Delete hole not working at all 2016/03/15 12:37:57 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby pwalpwal 2016/03/15 13:03:06
Hey pwal pwal, I did  to day.
ebibault51
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 91
Re: Delete hole not working at all 2016/03/16 06:23:32 (permalink)
It would be interesting to ask someone who also uses another DAW if there are the same problems.
If it's a "musical" problem related to the position or length of notes, it might happen when using another DAW.

SONAR Platinum - Intel i5-3570 @ 3,40 GHz, 4 cores - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 - Windows 10 (64 bits) - Roland QUAD-CAPTURE (ASIO mode) - Roland JUNO-G - Roland A-300PRO - AKAI MPK mini
lapasoa
Re: Delete hole not working at all 2016/03/16 09:42:10 (permalink)
I think we all need to re-read the post written by Sdog on august 24 2007 titled "Delete hole?".
It's so much enlightening and I think that he's right.
Jimbo 88
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1828
Re: Delete hole not working at all 2016/03/16 09:56:09 (permalink)
I have had this issue also, in this and other past versions.  There are so many quick workarounds and ways to do things i usually don't dwell on it,  just get the task done and move on.  So it's hard for me to remember where and when.

The "Copy, Paste, Delete Hole" thingys  will go a little wonky on me when I'm working long sessions.  Sometimes if I clear out the Pic Cashe folder it clears that issue up.  Sometimes that will just fix it temporarily. I'm guessing that sometimes it is some kind of buffer issue.

Good Luck.   

Cakewalk By Bandlab
Cubase 9.5 Pro
Windows 7 64 Bit   Core i7-8700   32 Gig Ram 3.20ghz  
RME Fireface 400 Audio Card
Behringer FCA 1616
Sweetwater Creation Station

lapasoa
Re: Delete hole not working at all 2016/03/17 09:14:31 (permalink)
sdog
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 27

RE: Delete hole? August 24, 07 7:22 PM (permalink)

BE VERY VERY CAREFUL OR YOU WILL END UP SHIFTING HALF OF WHAT YOU WANTED TO SHIFT AND HALF OF WHAT YOU DIDN'T WANT TO SHIFT. 

Deleting measures with delete hole in Sonar (as of v6) is not nearly as simple or intuitive as folks would have you believe, because the UI and implementation for the two tools, edit->delete and process->slide are not modelled cleanly on how users think about a.) deleting material and b.) shifting material to fill in the gap. Other folks may be able to point out something I've missed, or better workarounds than I offer here. Or perhaps the programmers will fix some of the UI/implementation problems in deleting and shifting, Until then... 

Additional things to be aware of with edit->delete, delete hole:

1. There must be some clip in the selected delete region for every track that has material that needs to shift. It may appear that you have "all" selected within a given region, but if one of the tracks has its clips before and after (but not within) your selected region, the "delete hole" process will ignore the selection for that track and fail to shift the trailing material. Half of the material you wanted to select will shift, half won't. You can work around this annoyance by using "bounce to clip" to make sure there is some clip in the region to be deleted. 

2. For this reason, be cautious about using the split clip suggestion in the previous post, because when you split a clip in an empty space, the two resulting clips will be trimmed to their nearest events and you will be left with a region without any clip in it, leaving you with the problem above. 

3. There must be at least 1 event in the area you want to delete or the menu will gray out the delete function. No matter much you think you ought to be able to simply blow away a couple of completely empty measures and have everything shift, you can't. You can work around this annoyance by adding a bogus event before you do your little bounce to clip trick above. Should you have to do this? No, of course not, but hey, you're just going to delete it anyway. 

4. After you "select->all", remember to unselect every track you didn't want deleted/shifted. Did you really want to lop a bighole out of that new audio dialog track the director just sent you or did you just want to scoot all your other music events over to match that chunk he just decided to cut out of the film at the last minute?

5. In many cases, you may be better off (i.e. SAFER) using edit->delete to make an empty space, then using process->slide to shift your events over, but not if you have tempo changes that must shift. In that case you're stuck for now using delete hole. 

IN AN IDEAL WORLD, 

The Sonar developers will abandon the current "edit->delete, w/ delete hole" or at least de-couple the UI/implementation from it's present reliance on clip selection. 

From a UI standpoint, I would like to see the concepts of deleting and sliding completely decoupled. While these are coupled, there are too many variables to present cleanly to the user. Much has to do with the difference between the developer's perception and the user's perception of "selection". Am I selecting a time range? events? clips? tempo events? locked markers? unlocked markers? The present delete hole UI/implementation leaves wide gaps in the understanding between user and developer about what is selected, what is going to be deleted, and what is going to be shifted. In these gaps lurks the hideous dangers of timing destruction. 

Unless Sonar can come up with a brilliant way to communicate these subtleties with the user, it will be much safer to completely separate deletion and sliding. Deletion should simply delete the selected event(s) and leave everything else in place in time. One should be able to delete events, clips, locked markers, unlocked markers, tempo events (the one case where events tied to relative (MBT) time must shift in relation to absolute time). So far, so good; Deletion presently works this way as long as you don't check "delete hole". 

Next, the process->slide functionality should be completed. In addition to the checkboxes for "events" and "markers", there should be boxes for "tempo changes", "locked markers", and "unlocked markers". (As a side note, "By" radio buttons should include "samples" and musical times (or at least "beats"). The computer, not the user, should have to calculate the number of ticks in 3 quarter notes or an eighth since it already knows "ticks per quarter").

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    That's the post written by Sdog on august 24 2007.
    Remember that I wanted to delete and eliminate the first 2 meausures of my project that contained only some audio clips and I used delete hole, but it didn't work at all.
    After reading what Sdog wrote, I've applied exactly what he said.
    Placed some clips on measure 1 of all audio tracks (also those who had no clips on the first measures).
    Placed some clips also on the first 2 meausures of AD2 midi track.
    Selected all tracks + selected meusures 1 and 2.
    Checked delete hole.
    Done!

Now I and all the CW people ask the bakers to solve this long time lasting issue, finding a solution very simple and effective.
    Thanks

williamcopper
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1120
    Re: Delete hole not working at all 2016/03/23 20:04:10 (permalink)
    And so who in the world would put the word "solved" in the title, when it is clearly not solved?    
    Anderton
    Re: Delete hole not working at all 2016/03/23 21:02:44 (permalink)
    williamcopper
    And so who in the world would put the word "solved" in the title, when it is clearly not solved?    

I'd guess the OP, because his last post about finding a solution was 6 days ago, and he edited his initial post 6 days ago. In any event, perhaps you overlooked what the OP wrote:

lapasoa
    That's the post written by Sdog on august 24 2007.
    Remember that I wanted to delete and eliminate the first 2 meausures of my project that contained only some audio clips and I used delete hole, but it didn't work at all.
    After reading what Sdog wrote, I've applied exactly what he said.
    Placed some clips on measure 1 of all audio tracks (also those who had no clips on the first measures).
    Placed some clips also on the first 2 meausures of AD2 midi track.
    Selected all tracks + selected meusures 1 and 2.
    Checked delete hole.
    Done!

Now I and all the CW people ask the bakers to solve this long time lasting issue, finding a solution very simple and effective.
    Thanks

Lapasoa started this thread in search of a solution to a particular problem he had. The above indicates he found a solution ("Checked delete hole. Done!") Once someone finds a solution to a problem posed in a thread, it is customary to indicate "Solved" so that others may benefit from finding out how someone solved a problem. Whether something is solved in the particular way you would prefer to have a problem solved is not relevant.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1