[Solved] Hard drive activity, mouse, and graphics causing audio noise ...Hep me sumbody!

Author
vuzz14
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21
2015/02/19 19:08:01 (permalink)

[Solved] Hard drive activity, mouse, and graphics causing audio noise ...Hep me sumbody!

Man am I sorely vexed!
I have searched and found some info, but I would love to hear if any of you fine audio folks had this this problem....
My Komplete 6 USB interface is picking up a ton of noise generated by any HD activity, mouse moves, or graphic pages opening...all kinds of buzzing, scratching, clicks and beeps! Absolutely related to HD and video. I have tried different usb ports, video card rearranging on the mboard, PSU change, checked for stray cables/RF etc. No joy.
I am working on the theory that the USB ports are faulty/badly grounded or have power issues...my venerable PCI Layla 3g does not have this issue, thank goodness. Trying a powered usb hub shortly, but would like to have you smart peeps weigh in.
I promise to buy all of ya a beer, cocktail, or hot coffee with a "wee drop" for your trouble!
Thanks in advance

22 Replies Related Threads

Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Hard drive activity, mouse, and graphics causing audio noise ...Hep me sumbody! 2015/02/19 19:13:01 (permalink)
    • Plug directly into the motherboard, not through a hub.
    • I put a USB port PCI card into my computer that handles only audio.
    • Update your graphics drivers. 
    • Disable any "HD Audio" drivers in Device Manager - see my "tip of the week"
    • Search on Komplete 6 issues, others have reported problems and maybe have found fixes

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: Hard drive activity, mouse, and graphics causing audio noise ...Hep me sumbody! 2015/02/19 19:25:44 (permalink)
    Have you tried plugging it into the wall? I see it can operate on USB Power, but that might have some odd side effects.

If you haven't plugged it into a wall, give that a go.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    vuzz14
    Re: Hard drive activity, mouse, and graphics causing audio noise ...Hep me sumbody! 2015/02/19 19:37:46 (permalink)
    Thank you for your responses gentlemen, I am on the case as we speak! I will report back if I can solve this dang thing,
    Mr. Anderton, always a pleasure to have you on board...I must confess I built a hell of a lot of PAIA kits in my time!
    Learned how to solder, scorch my folks nice tables, and get some great sounds out of all your cool devices at the same time!
    My Thumbdrum is around here somewhere too...  
    maximumpower
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 731
    Re: Hard drive activity, mouse, and graphics causing audio noise ...Hep me sumbody! 2015/02/19 19:42:18 (permalink)
    I had issues with noise when I moved the mouse. I used a hum destroyer (isolator) in between my reference speakers and my audio interface and that cured my issue.

Win 10 (64 bit), i7-2600k 3.4GHz , 8 GB RAM, SATA III (500GB SSD - System, 2TB WD Black - Data), Sonar Platinum x64, m-audio Profire 610

Anderton
    Re: Hard drive activity, mouse, and graphics causing audio noise ...Hep me sumbody! 2015/02/19 19:43:46 (permalink)
    maximumpower
    I had issues with noise when I moved the mouse. I used a hum destroyer (isolator) in between my reference speakers and my audio interface and that cured my issue.

Can you elaborate?

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    maximumpower
    Re: Hard drive activity, mouse, and graphics causing audio noise ...Hep me sumbody! 2015/02/19 20:24:49 (permalink)
    Anderton
    maximumpower

Can you elaborate?

This is going back several years so I don't remember all the details.

The noise was coming through my reference speakers whenever I moved the mouse. I did some research and someone recommended an isolator between the speakers and my audio interface.

I ended up buying one of these . No more noise :-)

You can see in my sig that I have a Profire 610. There were other recommendations, like using and external power supply but that didn't change anything for me. It was the Hum Destroyer that did it.

Win 10 (64 bit), i7-2600k 3.4GHz , 8 GB RAM, SATA III (500GB SSD - System, 2TB WD Black - Data), Sonar Platinum x64, m-audio Profire 610

gustabo
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2591
    Re: Hard drive activity, mouse, and graphics causing audio noise ...Hep me sumbody! 2015/02/19 20:27:01 (permalink)
    Using balanced connections would probably have taken care of that.

Cakewalk by Bandlab - Win10 Pro x64 - StudioCat Platinum Studio DAW - 32 GB Ram - MOTU UltraLite-mk3
    M-Audio Keystation 88ES - Akai MPD26 (hot-rodded) - Alesis DM10 - a few guitars, a few amps
    Novation Launch Control - Korg nanoKONTROL2 - PreSonus FaderPort - DAW Remote HD on iPad
    Adam A7X - Behritone C50A
    PreSonus Monitor Station v2 (controlling the mons)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/sonarusergroup/

tenfoot
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2186
    Re: Hard drive activity, mouse, and graphics causing audio noise ...Hep me sumbody! 2015/02/20 21:01:44 (permalink)
    If you are using a 3 pin AU plug it can be caused by an earth loop. I had the same problem using a Toshiba laptop. Lifting the ground on the power supply fixed it for me.

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
    SilkTone
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1566
    Re: Hard drive activity, mouse, and graphics causing audio noise ...Hep me sumbody! 2015/02/20 21:44:52 (permalink)
    I also had a similar issue and it was solved by one of those isolation transformers mentioned above.

But this kind of audible noise can also be caused by the presence of RF in your signal path. We are used to ground loops causing hum, but ground loops can also involve high frequency interference. Then when there are "variations" in the HF signal, it becomes audible, for instance when moving a mouse. This is how AM and FM works after all... variations in a high frequency carrier signal.

If the isolation transformer doesn't fix it for you, you can try some of those clip-on RF filters on your cables.
    Paul P
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2685
    Re: Hard drive activity, mouse, and graphics causing audio noise ...Hep me sumbody! 2015/02/20 22:01:19 (permalink)
    tenfoot
    If you are using a 3 pin AU plug it can be caused by an earth loop. I had the same problem using a Toshiba laptop. Lifting the ground on the power supply fixed it for me.

I wouldn't go lifting ground on any mains cable.  It's there for a reason, mostly to save your life.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
    gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: Hard drive activity, mouse, and graphics causing audio noise ...Hep me sumbody! 2015/02/20 22:15:01 (permalink)
    I keep one of those ground lift plugs in my bag so that if I get ground issues I can lift one.

I agree you don't want to lift the only ground, but if you only have one, you shouldn't have a loop.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    tenfoot
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2186
    Re: Hard drive activity, mouse, and graphics causing audio noise ...Hep me sumbody! 2015/02/20 22:28:44 (permalink)
    Paul P
    tenfoot

I wouldn't go lifting ground on any mains cable.  It's there for a reason, mostly to save your life.

Paul P.....As stated in the post above yours, you are not unearthing your entire system, simply removing a second ground that is causing the loop. Your circuit is still finding earth. If you do not understand how this works then you most definitely should not lift any ground!

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
    vuzz14
    Re: Hard drive activity, mouse, and graphics causing audio noise ...Hep me sumbody! 2015/02/22 19:09:32 (permalink)
    Good ideas folks...after updating all video drivers, checking usb power settings, cleaning/checking a ton of connections, and experimenting with powered usb hubs, I found a suitable solution!
    I installed a usb-3 card directly into a PCIE slot (per Craig A's note), bypassing all the Asus MB ports. Result, no HD/mouse noise! And there was much rejoicing let me tell you....gimmie that bottle!
    I suspect that the Asus ports have some issue that allows this bleed through/interference.
    Thanks for the responses, once again the awesome Forum hive mind has solved the problem, returning the Anomaly back to the source and saving Zion....
    Anderton
    Re: Hard drive activity, mouse, and graphics causing audio noise ...Hep me sumbody! 2015/02/23 10:01:46 (permalink)
    When USB was designed, it was to replace the Apple Desktop Bus and the PC's PS ports. No one cared about noise on the line because you didn't hear a mouse or printer. Like so many aspects of computers, they were not designed with pro audio and real-time streaming in mind. The separate card divorces the audio-related ports from the (usually) single controller that's feeding all your USB devices. In addition to getting rid of noise, I think you'll find an overall performance improvement with fewer "mystery glitches."

Maybe Cakewalk should bundle a USB port card with every copy of Platinum...

Cactus Music
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Hard drive activity, mouse, and graphics causing audio noise ...Hep me sumbody! 2015/02/23 12:18:26 (permalink)
    BE CAREFUL WHEN INSTALLING 3rd PARTY USB PCIe cards. 

I just blew a mobo so above solution scares me to death. 
    It was not my DAW but my older office PC didn't have USB 3.0 so I ordered this PCIe card for $19 and installed it.  WIndows installed drivers fine but it didn't work. I then read the instructions ( duh) and found you had to plug in a 12V connector from your power supply. I guess this is the extras juice that USB 3 uses.  There was a standard old school power connector on the card so I did this. That was the end of that mobo... 
    A little research on Google and I found many people had done the same thing....

So be super careful and might be better to add a USB 2.0 card and be safe. Audio interfaces are not using USB 3.0 anyhow so there's no gain. 

I have this same issue right now all of a sudden after I re arranged my equipment. I think you need to use the usb cables with the ferrite choke on them. I might have eliminated one because I needed some longer runs to my drum set. I'll see what happens when I unplug it. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

g_randybrown
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3522
    Re: Hard drive activity, mouse, and graphics causing audio noise ...Hep me sumbody! 2015/02/23 14:18:05 (permalink)
    Cactus Music
    BE CAREFUL WHEN INSTALLING 3rd PARTY USB PCIe cards. 

I just blew a mobo so above solution scares me to death. 
    It was not my DAW but my older office PC didn't have USB 3.0 so I ordered this PCIe card for $19 and installed it.  WIndows installed drivers fine but it didn't work. I then read the instructions ( duh) and found you had to plug in a 12V connector from your power supply. I guess this is the extras juice that USB 3 uses.  There was a standard old school power connector on the card so I did this. That was the end of that mobo... 
    A little research on Google and I found many people had done the same thing....

So be super careful and might be better to add a USB 2.0 card and be safe. Audio interfaces are not using USB 3.0 anyhow so there's no gain. 

I have this same issue right now all of a sudden after I re arranged my equipment. I think you need to use the usb cables with the ferrite choke on them. I might have eliminated one because I needed some longer runs to my drum set. I'll see what happens when I unplug it. 

I occasionally have audio glitches when moving the mouse (updated drivers on everything) and wondering if a usb cable with the ferrite choke on them would solve my issue.

G. Randy Brown 
    Windows 10, 64 bit, Platinum
    Intel Core i7-3770S
    Asus P8Z77-V LK mobo   
    4X8GB Corsair XMS3 memory 
    500 GB Crucial BX100 SSD (OS)
    two WD Black 1 TB HDD
    SAPPHIRE DUAL-X 100314-4L Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 
    Presonus AudioBox 22VSL
    youtube.com/crystalclearnm
    ampfixer
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5508
    Re: Hard drive activity, mouse, and graphics causing audio noise ...Hep me sumbody! 2015/02/23 16:11:43 (permalink)
    IIRC Noel did a post about adding ferrite's to his studio equipment to kill hum. Might be worth a search.

Regards, John 
     I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
    WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
    Tremor
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 232
    Re: Hard drive activity, mouse, and graphics causing audio noise ...Hep me sumbody! 2015/02/24 06:56:49 (permalink)
    I've had similar problems for weeks and opened a thread on this topic a few weeks back.

However, I found the solution to my problem on the Seven forums. The noise was being caused by an app called
    Easy tune 6 which is a Gigabyte utility for CPU performance and management.
    I uninstalled it in "uninstall a program" and it solved all my noise issues!!

For more info on that, the link to that solution is here http://www.sevenforums.co...-problems-my-daw.html.

Oh yes...I definately endorse using balance cables. Even with the noise problem present, using them cut the noise level down quite considerably.

Mike Sonar X3 Studio, Aria PC AMD FX-8350 8-core, Win 7 64 bit Home premium SP1, 16 Gb Ram , Behringer FCA1616, Focusrite Sapphire 40, MOTU Midi Express 128, JV1080, Emu 2000, 05R/W, Yamaha Motif XS Rack, Roland Integra 7, Alesis S4 & QSR, Yamaha MU90, Alesis Nano-Piano, EMU B-3, Yamaha TD6, CME UF-7, Technics piano, Roland XV5050, Roland VP-7 and loads of VSTs
    robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: Hard drive activity, mouse, and graphics causing audio noise ...Hep me sumbody! 2015/02/24 10:16:32 (permalink)
    That's cool - I have a hum caused by different circuits, and tried adding ferrite clips to inbound coax, but it didn't help my situation.

I believe I need to order up a ground-isolation insert for my coax.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    maximumpower
    Re: Hard drive activity, mouse, and graphics causing audio noise ...Hep me sumbody! 2015/03/25 18:33:02 (permalink)
    gustabo
    Using balanced connections would probably have taken care of that.

I needed my hum destroyer for a test with something else and I realized that I was not using the hum destroyer with my reference speakers, like I said above. I was indeed using balanced cables for that as you indicated. I was using the hum destroyer in between my audio interface and external mixer/PA to take care of a hum problem.

The test I was running was to connect two guitar amps in stereo but I only have 1 4x12 cab that can be run in stereo. I had to put the hum destroyer inline with the signal going to the second amp to get rid of oscillations. It turns out that my cabinet used a common terminal when in stereo.

YouDontHasToCallMeJohnson
    • Total Posts : 703
    Re: Hard drive activity, mouse, and graphics causing audio noise ...Hep me sumbody! 2015/03/25 19:26:10 (permalink)
    Anderton
    • I put a USB port PCI card into my computer that handles only audio.

PCI? PCIe? Model number?
    Paul P
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2685
    Re: Hard drive activity, mouse, and graphics causing audio noise ...Hep me sumbody! 2015/03/25 20:17:18 (permalink)
    tenfoot
    Paul P
    tenfoot

Paul P.....As stated in the post above yours, you are not unearthing your entire system, simply removing a second ground that is causing the loop. Your circuit is still finding earth.

You should never lift the chassis/mains ground on anything.  The ground is there to prevent you electrocuting yourself and in Australia, with your 230vac, that could very well kill you.  If there's a loop between systems, it's the fault of an audio cable connecting the two grounds together, through the shielding.  Go ahead and disconnect the shield at one end of a cable.  There are connectors to do this.  But that will only mask your real problem.  Better is to make sure your chassis grounds are all at the same potential by plugging mains cables into the same building circuit close together.  And not have your cabling routed to create large physical loops that'll act like UHF antennas.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1