[Solved] How Do I question - Addictive Drums / Roland TD-12 - get CC4 HiHat pedal in X3?

Author
lawajava
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2040
2013/10/06 15:42:50 (permalink)

[Solved] How Do I question - Addictive Drums / Roland TD-12 - get CC4 HiHat pedal in X3?

Pretty niche question, but I could use some coaching on a continuous controller (cc) set up.  It's a weak point I admit for what I understand in Sonar. My drummer has a Roland TD-12 and we've been using it in combination with Sonar for years, including with Session Drummer 3 etc. With Addictive Drums it provides a map for the TD-12, and some really great info about what note to set for your transmit note from the TD-12 to get what sound in Addictive Drums.  There are like 10 or so notes for the hi hat, with many of them dependent on whether the pedal is open or closed.  Closed hi hat edge (or tip), Open hi hat edge etc.  The pedal sends a signal according to Addictive Drums as CC 4. How do I get the CC 4 to be read and recorded on the hi hat midi track? My knowledge is weak on CC stuff, but I did try going to the Piano Roll view, and I have View Controllers selected.  I tried to add a choice there, but didn't quite see a choice that was related to a pedal. It would be really super cool to be able to get all of those different hi hat related sounds based off of whether or not the pedal is open or closed.
post edited by lawajava - 2013/10/18 00:12:05

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.

5 Replies Related Threads

Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re: How Do I question - Addictive Drums / Roland TD-12 - get CC4 HiHat pedal to route in X 2013/10/07 16:28:05 (permalink)
    I wish I had an answer for you Lawa....but my TD-10 and TD-20 just automatically works with AD. All I did was set it up for TD 10 mapping or TD 20 and my hats were perfect opening and closing in increments.

I may be totally misunderstanding your question, so forgive me. But if you are using a TD 12 brain and have the mapping set in AD for TD-12, it should take care of everything for you. Are other drum pads sending/recording? You may need to set up your TD 12 brain with Sonar. Set local to off in the brain as this can make a difference.

Next, I'm not familiar with the TD 12 but you may want to sit at the kit and take notice as to what midi note numbers light up when you hit a hat or other instrument. What does the midi note read when you just do a pedal hat closure? Stuff like that is important as to how the notes may be handled in AD. BUT....what gets me is, you shouldn't have to really touch a thing. When I set the map over here to TD 10 or TD 20 (depending on which of my kits I'm using...I have both a complete PD8 pad set as well as the real V-Drums with the mesh heads) it just auto-works for me. The hats open at 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full just from setting the right map inside AD.

I don't think it would be any different using the TD 12, but again, I'm not familiar with that brain so I can't really offer any advice. You may need to create a custom map. When I've had to do that, my midi notes for hat starting points were (from my Roland brain):

pedal: 44 G#2
    hat open: 46 A# 2
    hat closed: 42 F#2

At least that may get you a starting point to make the thing work. From there you'll have to find out how the incremental pedal stuff would work. I'm not much of a midi man other than basic stuff. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful but I hope someone can help you sort this out. Good luck.

-Danny

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: How Do I question - Addictive Drums / Roland TD-12 - get CC4 HiHat pedal to route in X 2013/10/09 20:29:22 (permalink)
    This might not be the case because I am not familiar with Addictive Drums, I use SD 3. 
    I was having the same issue ( Yamaha kit) and found I had to choose my samples from the SFX library to get the different sounds the brain gets automatically. The none SFX files have only one sound. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

lawajava
    Re: How Do I question - Addictive Drums / Roland TD-12 - get CC4 HiHat pedal to route in X 2013/10/09 23:10:17 (permalink)
    I'm intrigued by what Danny says, which is it just works.

But not for me yet. I might possibly restore factory settings on the TD-12 brain and then try applying Addictive Drums mapping again to see if I get the "it just works".

But before that, presently I'm really close. Everything works where I followed the mapping screen and assigned the right notes to the pads in the TD-12 brain. All the set works except for the hi hat pedal which apparently sends a cc 4 message. I'm trying to understand how to set a cc receive/record in Sonar X3.

Like if I were to push a piano pedal - how do I capture the piano pedal on the Midi track recording? I'm weak in understanding how to capture/record cc info.

Any tips out there on that?

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
    lawajava
    Re: How Do I question - Addictive Drums / Roland TD-12 - get CC4 HiHat pedal to route in X 2013/10/17 01:16:27 (permalink)
    Danny thanks for your comments above.

I decided to rewind. I did the factory reset on the TD-12 and then set Addictive Drums to the TD-12 mapping. Like you said, it just works. The hi hat and everything works in AD.

I also learned, in answer to my own question, how to capture the cc4 values (the hi hat pedal) while recording by going to the piano roll view in Sonar X3 and adding a cc row for the foot pedal.

I happen to prefer to capture drum performances in separate midi tracks per kit piece. I can do that for Session Drummer 3 and for my external Alesis DMPro sound module by assigning specific transmit channels per drum kit piece. Now I'm beginning my attempts to pull that off with Addictive Drums as well. It works great recording everything on one track so far. I'm beginning my attempt to separate the pieces.

Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re: How Do I question - Addictive Drums / Roland TD-12 - get CC4 HiHat pedal to route in X 2013/10/17 03:26:12 (permalink)
    lawajava
    Danny thanks for your comments above.

I decided to rewind. I did the factory reset on the TD-12 and then set Addictive Drums to the TD-12 mapping. Like you said, it just works. The hi hat and everything works in AD.

I also learned, in answer to my own question, how to capture the cc4 values (the hi hat pedal) while recording by going to the piano roll view in Sonar X3 and adding a cc row for the foot pedal.

I happen to prefer to capture drum performances in separate midi tracks per kit piece. I can do that for Session Drummer 3 and for my external Alesis DMPro sound module by assigning specific transmit channels per drum kit piece. Now I'm beginning my attempts to pull that off with Addictive Drums as well. It works great recording everything on one track so far. I'm beginning my attempt to separate the pieces.

That's great, I'm glad it worked out for you. In case you don't feel like setting up all those midi tracks individually, just use a CAL file after you've recorded the single midi track. Hi-lite the midi track, then go to "process", then "run cal" and select "Split notes to track" and the midi you recorded will be broken up into individual tracks. The downside of this (at least for me) is the split notes to track stock cal file creates the tracks and gives them midi note numbers. When I use my own custom cal files, it literally names the track by drum name.

For example, if you use the stock one, it's going to name all the tracks by note number and it will only create the ones that have physical midi notes. So if you used EzDrummer Drums From Hell kit and didn't whack all the cymbals, they wouldn't show up....which is a good thing. The not so good thing is I'd rather drum names than note number names so this is why I created my own cal files.

On my custom cal files, the drum name comes up as well as any rim shots due to me going into the split notes to track cal via notepad and editing it then re-saving with a new name.

So where the stock cal file may read: 0 (TrackName (format "Split Note C" nOctave) nDestTrk)

The Danny cal file would read: (if (== nNote 36)
                    (do     
                    (= TrName "Kick")
                    )
                )

If you open a cal file with notepad, you'll see what I mean as well as how to edit it. It's a little tricky but with some trial and error, you'll get it. This way you can just click on the finished midi track and execute a cal file and have all the midi tracks split up individually in case you want to output them to other things. Good luck!

-Danny
    post edited by Danny Danzi - 2013/10/17 03:28:54

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1