[Solved] How do you see MIDI controller numbers in Sonar X2?

Author
Saviersonite
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 19
2014/02/15 06:49:44 (permalink)

[Solved] How do you see MIDI controller numbers in Sonar X2?

Hi,

I recently bought a Waldorf Rocket.  I'm having some issues with it.  I thought it was a faulty unit as it keeps becoming unresponsive.  I made a video of it to get some advice from Waldorf.  Waldorf support gave me this response: 

Sorry for the late reply.

After analyzing your video, we can only say that something in your setup might send to ControlNr. 122 (Rocket manual page 36) and it turns the "Local Control" off. Please check if it´s this and let me know.

This makes sense as the parameters that still function are the ones that don't send or receive any MIDI data.  Also, the problem only occurs when I've opened Sonar.  It seems when I reboot the rocket and close Sonar, it works fine.  

I'm a bit lost here so I'd like to know how I can check in Sonar to see if it's sending to MIDI controller number 122.

Any advice is appreciated.

post edited by Anderton - 2014/02/15 11:47:35

4 Replies Related Threads

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: How do you see MIDI controller numbers in Sonar X2? 2014/02/15 07:31:40 (permalink)
    Everytime Sonar boots up it send a Local OFF message. Quite honestly it is quite a silly thing to do. It has caught quite a few people (myself included) many times. It really should be the other way around and not do this and the user really needs to do it manually if required like in all other DAW's.  I think it is meant not to happen (default) but if yours is doing it then the line must be in there and set to 1. It can be disabled however by changing the ini file I believe.

From the manual:

To automatically disable all local control whenever you launch SONAR

1. In the directory where SONAR is installed, double-click on the TTSseq.ini file to open it.

2. In the [Options] section, add the line:
    SendLocalOff=1
    (however if you don't want Sonar to do this change this value to 0)

3. Save the file and close it.

4. When you launch SONAR, it (will now not) automatically sends a Local Off message to your keyboard.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Saviersonite
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 19
    Re: How do you see MIDI controller numbers in Sonar X2? 2014/02/15 09:09:15 (permalink)
    That seems to have worked a treat.  Thank you very much Jeff.
    Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: How do you see MIDI controller numbers in Sonar X2? 2014/02/15 11:48:25 (permalink)
    I've been tripped up by this as well. I do understand the rationale behind it, which is if you're using a synth as a controller, then a very common scenario is to have the keyboard send data into the computer, which is echoed out through the program to drive the sounds. With Local Control on, you'll get double-triggering because the synth will be receiving notes from the keyboard and from the echoed input.

I let Sonar turn off Local Control because that's what I need most of the time. But before I realized this was happening, I often wondered why playing my synth's keyboard produced no sounds...

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: How do you see MIDI controller numbers in Sonar X2? 2014/02/15 16:35:29 (permalink)
    I still think this is a little dumb though.  The reason I say this is because when you actually make the local OFF connection on the controller you are using then it is you that will remember it much more likely and hence you will not wonder why your controller synth has gone silent.

The other thing is that if you have a few keyboards for example and they happen to be across the midi out from Sonar while it is booting up they will ALL go silent!  Very annoying as you then have to go in and reset them.  I have wasted time trying to figure out why a keyboard was not producing any sound.  I can also see where they are coming from too but in reality (IMO) it is not such a good idea at all.  Other DAW's dont do it.

I also see fronm the manual that Sonar should defualt to not doing this but for some reason when people install the program it seems to default to ON without telling anyone and hence causing the confusion.  It can also have some strange effects with modules and things too.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1