[Solved] How to use vocoder in SONAR ?

Author
mistermoule
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
2016/10/31 06:54:26 (permalink)

[Solved] How to use vocoder in SONAR ?

Hello everyone !I am here for the first time to ask you if you please, to resolve a problem that I have ! I try to use some free VST to have a little electronic effect on my voice, but it is impossible for me to find how to do it.

I'm sorry if this question have been already asked, but i looked eveywhere, I never found something that work with me...

For the moment, im trying TAL vocoder, but im open to any vst that works for you !

I saw multiples videos, like those :

And lots of other. But one the biggest problems for me, it is that i cannot even take a Midi track and assign the output on the audio track and/or the effect

I am totally lost and it would be really kind of you if someone could explain to me how to do it !

PS: It would be nice of you to forgive my English Hahaha

edit: added [Solved] to the subject - sc
post edited by scook - 2017/11/30 18:39:33

12 Replies Related Threads

promidi
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1220
    Re: How to use vocoder in soanr ? 2016/10/31 09:49:20 (permalink)
    There are many vocoders available, but the common way they work is that you have a carrier and a modulator. 

What you want to do is place a VST vocoder effect in the effect bin of the track you wish to use as the carrier (This track could also be a simple instrument track).  This can (and probably should)  be a simple as a basic sawtooth synth. Before you move the the sent step, bypass the vocoder and then make sure you can hear instrument as you play your keyboard.  Once that's confirmed, activate the vocoder. At this stage, playing the keyboard, you won't hear anything as there is no modulator yet.

Then you create another audio track and then send the output of that track to the side chain input of the vocoder.  Another way is to add a send from that audio track to the side chain input of the vocoder. Usually this track is your voice.

Now I do not have TAL vocoder, but I use Meldaproduction Mvocoder but the principle should be the same. Meldaproduction do have an excellent tutorial on how to use Mvocoder. Note: this tutorial does not use Sonar, so it would not show you where to set up the side chaining.  Fully functional Mvocoder can be trailed for 30 days.

I hope this can get you started.

Windows 10 64bit fully patched, 16 gig ram . 
    PCR-800 Controller.  (Working in Win 10 1809 64bit)
    CPU: i5 4670. 
    Video: Nvidia GTX560ti (latest drivers).
    Audio IF: Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen

Internet always on.

Software
    : Cakewalk by Bandlab (2018.09 B29)
    ASIO mode. 24bit 48khz 256 samples 
    Rapture Pro, AAS GS2, VS-3, EP-4, VA-2, Chromophone 2, Z3TA+ 2, Addictive drums 2, Addictive Keys, Mpowersynth (latest), Iris 2, GPO5, Sampletank 3,
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: How to use vocoder in SONAR ? 2016/10/31 10:03:13 (permalink)
    In X3 or newer after adding the plug-in to the audio track FX Rack, use the VST drop down to "Enable MIDI Input"

Then add the MIDI track with input set to your controller, output to the Vocoder, input echo enabled

If you are using a version of SONAR older than X3, the plug-in will need to be configured as a synth in Plug-in Properties either in the VST drop down or the Plug-in Manager because there is no option in the VST drop down to "Enable MIDI Input." Otherwise, the routing is the same.

If you have Pentagon, here is the kb article on setting it up as a vocoder http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013086/Using-Pentagon-I-as-a-Vocoder

scook
    Forum Host
    Re: How to use vocoder in SONAR ? 2016/10/31 10:07:57 (permalink)
    FYI, you can change the subject of your thread by editing the initial post.
    MagBass
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 88
    Re: How to use vocoder in SONAR ? 2017/11/30 18:36:21 (permalink)
    scook
    In X3 or newer after adding the plug-in to the audio track FX Rack, use the VST drop down to "Enable MIDI Input"

Then add the MIDI track with input set to your controller, output to the Vocoder, input echo enabled

If you are using a version of SONAR older than X3, the plug-in will need to be configured as a synth in Plug-in Properties either in the VST drop down or the Plug-in Manager because there is no option in the VST drop down to "Enable MIDI Input." Otherwise, the routing is the same.

Scook,

This is an old topic now, but I wanted to say thank you for this post.  I'd been having a hell of a (completely unsuccessful) time trying to get Image-Line's IL Vocodex to work in Sonar, until I came across your post.  I was so frustrated I subsequently purchased Melda's MVocoder (Black Friday sales, all), but had installation issues with it. 

Anyway, I just got Vocodex working following your instructions so once again, thank you.

Sonar Platinum (64-bit); many CW PC modules; endless plugins (most of which SPLAT doesn't list); Edirol PCR-800; Win10 Pro 64-bit; Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 interface; lots of hardware I don't actually use anymore; 1972 Rickenbacker 4001 bass (Chris Squire days); other basses, guitars, mics, etc.
    Agentcalm
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 257
    Re: How to use vocoder in SONAR ? 2018/11/24 19:08:02 (permalink)
    Sorry guys...the first answer seems to indicate that the vocoder goes on a midi track.  And then the audio track has a "send" going to that midi track.
    But SKooks post and screenshot shows the vocoder on the audio track...not the midi.
    Apologies guys Im very new to this.  Can someone tell me which track a vocoder goes on?  On the vocal track or on a midi?
    Thanks guys.

Southern kin y'all 
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: How to use vocoder in SONAR ? 2018/11/24 19:15:23 (permalink)
    The plug-ins I mentioned definitely go in an audio/instrument track FX Rack with a MIDI track sending data to them but for a definitive answer in your case provide the plug-in name.
    Agentcalm
    Re: How to use vocoder in SONAR ? 2018/11/24 22:51:29 (permalink)
    Thanks Skook.  Yes ~Im also using the freebie TAL.    I seem to have it working without the midi track but to be honest Im not impressed.
    I notice when I add a plain midi track, its send options are only to the Master or my audio device ( an M Audio)
    There is no send option to anything else.   The only way i seem to see an option to send to another bus is to actually add softsynth.   So i cant get my midi keyboard to play notes through the vocoder on the audio track.  
    Maybe being a freebie the TAL isnt very good.    Sonivox make one called the Vocalizer.   Its not very expensive and it might be a better option.   I cant affor iZotopes VocalSynth 2.   

Southern kin y'all 
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: How to use vocoder in SONAR ? 2018/11/24 23:27:27 (permalink)
    A MIDI track does not have sends or the ability to route to an audio track/bus or device but audio/instrument tracks do. MIDI tracks have output drops down which will show the plug-in when it is configured correctly. Refer to msg 4 above on how to setup the plug-in. The setup info is correct for SONAR through CbB.
    mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: How to use vocoder in SONAR ? 2018/11/25 04:31:05 (permalink)
    Melda has a nice overview video (7:15) that covers an Introduction to Vocoding. The concepts in that can be applied to all of them. It is important to realize that the modulator and carrier bands need to have common ground to pass (and filter) the signal. It seems that some of the issues encountered are related to this, but not sure.... if you have it working without the MIDI track, it seems that something is amiss.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    Euthymia
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 223
    Re: How to use vocoder in SONAR ? 2018/11/25 11:59:50 (permalink)
    As a note, I have used TAL Vocoder and it's a very nice vocoder, given me no reason to want another. Gets all the classic sounds, Daft Punk, Kraftwerk, etc.

It requires some adjustment of the knobs on the effect itself to get the sound just the way I want it, but I figure ease of use is one of the things that makes the payware ones worth paying for.

-Erik
    Warning: if you tell me my issue can be remedied by buying more RAM, an SSD, or a Waves plug-in, I will troll you pitiilessly
    Agentcalm
    Re: How to use vocoder in SONAR ? 2018/11/25 17:07:31 (permalink)
    just an FYI Skook.   Plug in boutique are having a good sale.  I bought Vocalizer Pro  by SoniVox and Groove3 have a course on it for only 10 bucks.  I'll run with this.   Thanks again bro  :)

Southern kin y'all 
    abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: How to use vocoder in SONAR ? 2018/11/27 00:05:29 (permalink)
    Agentcalm
    just an FYI Skook.   Plug in boutique are having a good sale.  I bought Vocalizer Pro  by SoniVox and Groove3 have a course on it for only 10 bucks.  I'll run with this.   Thanks again bro  :)

Or you could read the Vocalizer Pro manual, and along with info provided in this thread, save the 10 bucks!

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1