Helpful Reply(Solved) Question on Platinum Update install

Author
lawajava
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2040
2015/01/21 22:00:28 (permalink)

(Solved) Question on Platinum Update install

I needed to use the download of the installer for Platinum since I wanted to have the ability to set a custom path for my location of Platinum (on my D drive instead of my C drive).

So that installer download, select the Advanced option, worked great on my initial install.

Now there's a Platinum update.

Can I go to the Command Center and update from there, or is Command Center only looking for C drive installs.

Do I need to download a different installer to keep my D drive install working without issue? If so, would I run a new installer and is the new one smart enough to do what it needs to update or will I have issues?

I want to install the update. Just not sure which way to go.
post edited by lawajava - 2015/01/23 21:39:27

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
RobertB
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11256
Re: Question on Platinum Update install 2015/01/21 22:19:08 (permalink)
Since this is all new, you may be the guinea pig on this one.
However, I would guess that your system and Command Center know the correct path to Sonar.
Turn on System Restore, just in case.

My Soundclick Page
SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Question on Platinum Update install 2015/01/21 22:24:34 (permalink)
IIRC CCC knows where you installed (since it's in the registry).
lawajava
Re: Question on Platinum Update install 2015/01/21 22:35:19 (permalink)
I'm not working in a sandbox environment, so I'm hoping to get an informed answer before I take the plunge.

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
Guitarpima
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4125
Re: Question on Platinum Update install 2015/01/21 23:00:36 (permalink)
I just looked and did not see any updates on their site. If you have to use CCC to update then CCC is even more useless. How is one supposed to update something illegible?

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
lawajava
Re: Question on Platinum Update install 2015/01/21 23:25:08 (permalink)
Still wondering on which way to update.

declan
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 463
Re: Question on Platinum Update install 2015/01/21 23:31:02 (permalink)
I thought I was on top of all this, but I definitely screwed up.  It's been over 3 hours and now I'm downloading the AD2 packs - those suckers are huuuge - and still haven't even seen the new Sonar yet...
lawajava
Re: Question on Platinum Update install 2015/01/22 22:06:49 (permalink)
Does anyone have an answer for this yet?

I'd like to install the update, but don't know if I can use Command Center or need to download another installer and install on top of my last install of Platinum.

John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Question on Platinum Update install 2015/01/22 22:12:36 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby lawajava 2015/01/22 22:24:59
Guitarpima
I just looked and did not see any updates on their site. If you have to use CCC to update then CCC is even more useless. How is one supposed to update something illegible?

I don't understand your post. The CC notes if there is an update.

I did a manual install Lawa and I followed up with using CC for the update and it worked. You should not have any problems. 

Best
John
lawajava
Re: Question on Platinum Update install 2015/01/22 22:24:42 (permalink)
John, that's the kind of info I've been asking for. Thanks. Now I'm ready to give it a whirl.

jbraner
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1830
Re: Question on Platinum Update install 2015/01/22 23:45:36 (permalink)
If it doesn't work, just download again from your account. I just checked and it's at 21.0.1.254 - which is the update.

I'm not sure why you're getting annoyed that no one has tried this for you. *Somebody* has to go first ;-)
Hell, nobody's had it installed for more than a couple of days...

John Braner
https://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/JohnBraner
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
- Windows 10 Pro - 64 bit
- Cakewalk by BandLab x64
- Reaper x64
- 16GB RAM
- Asus P8z77-V mobo - using the integrated Intel graphic card (HD4000)
- MOTU Ultralite AVB audio interface
I usually use ASIO set at 64 or 128 samples
er - that's it I think...
lawajava
Re: Question on Platinum Update install 2015/01/23 00:09:27 (permalink)
Not annoyed actually. Just cautious. I'm glad John was willing to try it out.

lawajava
Re: Question on Platinum Update install 2015/01/23 01:11:55 (permalink)
Well, here's an update John.  I ran the update from Command Center.

Unfortunately, it created a clean new install (which I was trying to avoid) on my C drive.  So I have the previous version with everything correct on my D drive, and now a new version on my C drive.

I will continue to work through this. Although I'm keen on Sonar Platinum and very enthused about the program, I'm not experiencing the flexibility I would expect from the Command Center with regards to install locations and now the update process.

jbraner
Re: Question on Platinum Update install 2015/01/23 01:19:31 (permalink)
Hopefully, you can install the "unwanted" one from command center. Then you can go get the update from your account - I checked, and that's the version that's there. You know *that* will work.

These are early days - we're the "pioneers" ;-)
There has to be an element of "let's see what happens" ;-)
So just keep making backup images...

John Braner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
- Reaper x64
- 16GB RAM
lawajava
Re: Question on Platinum Update install 2015/01/23 01:23:55 (permalink)
jbraner - yes.  I'm a bit of a nuisance, going off the road and installing on my D drive.  This will be my third step in removing and reinstalling, so I'm getting good at it.  But still wish it was more direct to get to what I want, and less uncharted and unexplained.

However, the end result is totally worth it.  Totally digging Platinum.

jbraner
Re: Question on Platinum Update install 2015/01/23 01:29:45 (permalink)
lawajava
jbraner - yes.  I'm a bit of a nuisance, going off the road and installing on my D drive. 

I don't think you're a nuisance. I'm pretty sure they're going to have to allow for some customisation through Command Center. Otherwise lots of us won't bother with it.

This will be my third step in removing and reinstalling, so I'm getting good at it.  But still wish it was more direct to get to what I want, and less uncharted and unexplained.

Well, it's uncharted because it's less than a week old

John Braner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
- Reaper x64
- 16GB RAM
Guitarpima
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4125
Re: Question on Platinum Update install 2015/01/23 20:02:57 (permalink)
John
Guitarpima

I don't understand your post. The CC notes if there is an update.

I did a manual install Lawa and I followed up with using CC for the update and it worked. You should not have any problems. 

What don't you understand? The CC is bright white, the letters aren't legible and if I can't download the updates without CC, CC is useless. How dumb do you have to be to put tiny letters on a bright white UI?

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
lawajava
Re: Question on Platinum Update install 2015/01/23 21:38:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jbraner 2015/01/24 06:51:14
Maybe last note from me on this. Summary and where I ended.

1. Installed Platinum first time from Command Center. It successfully and smoothly installed on my C drive, with no prompts or Advanced install options to ask it to install in a preferred location. My preferred spot is on my D drive.
2. Uninstalled Platinum, no problem.
3. Went into My Accounts on the Cakewalk site, Products, then the Connected Products section at the top in there. Clicked on Platinum. A red Download button appeared. I downloaded the installer. Installed Platinum from that successfully and smoothly onto my D drive. The installer does offer an Advanced button where you can select your preferred install location.
4. Started using Platinum. It's great! Big fan.
5. Update announced for Platinum.
6. I asked in this thread above whether Command Center is smart enough to recognize where you have Platinum installed so you can just update from Command Center. Or, I asked, do I need to repeat the manual install process.
7. It was suggested above that Command Center will work for the update no problem.
8. I then updated from Command Center. Result was that it made a clean, brand new install of everything on my C drive.
9. Uninstalled Platinum (again). This uninstall removed it from both my C drive and the previous version from my D drive.
10. Went back into My Account, downloaded the latest version of the installer for Platinum. The download was smooth. The install to my D drive of the latest, complete version of Platinum was smooth and quick.
11. Platinum now running fabulous.

Wasn't that big of a hassle or inconvenience, just noting this for anyone wondering what happens on the installs if not wanting to install Platinum to the default C drive directory.

jbraner
Re: Question on Platinum Update install 2015/01/24 06:52:35 (permalink)
This should be a sticky - because loads of people are asking the same thing - and here is the definitive answer.

Lawajava should get a 10% discount for pioneering this prcedure ;-)
Hopefully the Command Center will get more sophisticated as we move forward ;-)

John Braner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
- Reaper x64
- 16GB RAM
Tom Riggs
Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1752
Re: Question on Platinum Update install 2015/01/24 09:02:05 (permalink)
One thing you should understand is that you do not need to download the installer again from the store. Once C3 downloads and installs the installer is on the c drive in the "C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Command Center\Downloads" folder. You can run the Installer from there if you need to uninstall and reinstall.

As far as the other issue with the custom location I think You have sorted it out that it is best not to use the C3 as it defaults to a new install.

You should report this as a possible bug as well as submit a post about any suggested improvements in the "Features and Ideas" forum.

Glad you are working...

i7-3770k OC at 4.5Ghz, asus p8z77-m, 16g g.skill aries 1600 c9 ram, Noctua d-14 cooler, RME HDSPe Raydat, Motu FastLane, Nvidea GTX 980 ti 6G, windows 7 and 8.1 pro x64. Sonar Platinum and x3e currently installed

My Music 
My YouTube

pentimentosound
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1535
Re: Question on Platinum Update install 2015/01/24 14:30:11 (permalink)
I have just recently installed X3ePE on a new desktop and have put Dim Pro, Rapture and Z3ta+2 (plus Sample Tank3 and more)on my F drive. I have some install issues with Rock Legends Kits 1-2-3 in Dim Pro, but otherwise am good. 

I'm tempted to uninstall X3, Dim Pro (15 volumes!), Rapture and Z3ta+2 but NOT Melodyne Editor2, and just start over.  You cannot deselect Rapture on the Command Center. It seems to be part of Platinum's install.

I don't want to drag this out... I want to have some fun! My C drive is 1tb and since those are not streamed samples...

Ideas?
Michael

i7 4790k 4Ghz 16gb+4HDD, Win10, ASUS G74s Laptop i7 2670QM 2.2ghz-16gb, Win10. CbB, Mixbus4, Studio One3 Artist, Z3ta2, RapturePro, GPO5, GS2, EP4, IK TR5, AT4, MP2, Melodyne Stud4, PSP(22), PS kits, BFD2, GA4, 18i20, PreSonus MP20A(BurrBrown), ISA One, Warm Audio WA76, ADK Thor, M160, RAB1, MA200, MA101fet, E100s, e835, EquatorD5, YSM-1, GoldDigger, CherryPicker, Kurz K2500, Aura Spectrum, ControlPad, PRRI, 17 ac & elec gtrs-mandos+bass, lap steels, banjo, fiddle, harmonicas+perc
YouDontHasToCallMeJohnson
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 703
Re: Question on Platinum Update install 2015/01/26 19:57:20 (permalink)
Platinum did not install as I have previously installed.

I attempt to Always install audio programs in folders in the root folder:  C:\SonarX3

NOTHING A USER MAY NEED ACCESS TO SHOULD BE INSTALLED IN A BURIED HIDDEN FOLDER.
After too many years MS learned the lesson and now placed the Outlook folder in the Docs folder instead of in the buried folder that was inaccessible for most users, resulting in lots of lost information.

If the folder is not a default location for common backup software no user data should be allowed to be saved to it.

Yet, DP,... save programs and presets to folders that are buried and not easy to backup.

I especially do not want ANYTHING installed in the users folder, in buried in hidden folders.

I should have complete control of every folder used for CW products.

Way too many problems for too many years with new installations disregarding the samples and preset folders on the D drive.

EVERY folder path should be selectable by the user during installation of every program. This is what the registry is for; to store such information. Although I find little reason to use the registry. I am an old dude. INI files still work fine. The registry is another file that can be corrupted. And MS increasingly makes it difficult to protect and restore the registry.

I am often using words of wonder when I find the programming idiots have put stuff places without my permission. Had major trouble with AD last year because they decided to put stuff in programmer "default" locations. I do not install stuff in the programs folder. They had to fix their installer to accommodate my sense of control.

So, where are all your presets and samples saved?  Easy to backup? Easy to restore?

FYI: attempt to NEVER use the preset function in any plug. The CW plug preset function saves in non-standard format, puts the info into crazily numbered/named folders in places you would never think to look to find them. AND: if you do not use the plugin-manager to export the presets it is insanity provoking to attempt to ever get them to work again.  My last computer change was the result of a hard-disk failure. I had not exported the presets. And now lots of such is lost, even though I was able to recover the preset files from the disk.

Unfortunately the DX items do not have the option to save as do VST plugs do.

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1