Answered[Solved] Sonar X1 Producer sudden weird latency issue

Author
leftyguitar
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2014/01/15 16:57:18 (permalink)

[Solved] Sonar X1 Producer sudden weird latency issue

Hi All,

I just started experiencing a strange issue with latency while trying to record with Sonar X1 Producer. I've been recording for over a year with this program and have had no latency issues prior to today. 

Here's the rundown:
I've got a Roland Quad-Capture interface that I use for audio and midi recording. Very fast ASIO device, no noticeable latency (until today.) I went to start a new project, got tracks set up and was starting to get going recording my guitars (direct into quad-capture) when all of a sudden, during recording, the latency appeared to slip and now monitoring as I'm playing during recording and playback is noticably off from my live playing. 

I then tried to record a drum section via MIDI (TD-9 kit into Quad-Capture MIDI, triggering sounds from Superior Drummer plugin.) I've had no problems in the past recording this way. The same latency issue happened.

Here's the weirdest / most frustrating part: When I'm not "playing" or "recording" a track, and I'm just using input echo monitoring for a track... there is no latency. I can shred to my hearts content, add FX, use Guitar Rig, use plugins, etc., and there is no latency issue. As soon as I hit play or record, BOOM, unacceptable latency.

Really hope you guys have some ideas on this that I can try. I'm really frustrated. I've looked at all the setting menus in regard to record / playback buffering, and ASIO latency and everything looks normal to me. As I said, the last time I used Sonar to record, no problems at all. As far as I know, no settings have been changed since then. I booted it up this time and got hit with this issue.

Thanks in advance for your help!
-Lefty
post edited by Anderton - 2014/01/18 10:37:15
brundlefly
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14250
Re: Sonar X1 Producer sudden weird latency issue 2014/01/16 01:23:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby leftyguitar 2014/01/18 10:16:22
When added latency suddenly shows up, it's almost always because a plugin was added to the project the uses additional buffering to do look-ahead processing. Some common ones are convolution reverbs like Perfect Space, and Cakewalk's TS-64 Transient Shaper. SONAR automatically applies Plugin Delay Compensation (PDC) to delay other audio to stay in sync with the delayed audio on the track/bus with the latent plugin.

Generally, these plugins are intended for use during mixing/mastering when low latency is no longer needed for input monitoring while tracking. But there is a PDC bypass function that will temporarily disable PDC on input monitored tracks so long as they aren't the one hosting the latent plugin. Otherwise you'll just have to remove the plugin to eliminate the latency.

All that said, PDC is usually active whether the transport is running or not. It's possible something is going on with you interface driver or clock settings in preference. Make sure your drivers are up to date, and your Playback and Record Timing Masters are both referencing the Quad-Capture.

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
leftyguitar
Re: Sonar X1 Producer sudden weird latency issue 2014/01/16 15:28:29 (permalink)
This sounds like it could be the culprit! I EQ'd one of the guitar channels before I was done recording, so hopefully this is causing the delay. Will check as soon as I'm out of work and confirm.

Thanks!
jb101
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2946
Re: Sonar X1 Producer sudden weird latency issue 2014/01/16 17:37:45 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby leftyguitar 2014/01/18 10:16:08
The most common culprits in Sonar are LP-64 EQ and Multiband, Perfect Space (or any convolution reverb), Concrete Limiter, TS-64 Transient Shaper (as brundlefly said).  I'm sure that there are more, but they've slipped my mind.

One other thing.  If you're using soft synths, I have sometimes found that using the PDC button can trow their timing off.  I have particularly found this with Drum Software.

I, personally either hit the "E" key to disable all FX, or delete the effect til after I've finished tracking, or I think you can archive the offending track.

Sonar Platinum
leftyguitar
Re: Sonar X1 Producer sudden weird latency issue 2014/01/18 10:15:58 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby InTheEmbers 2018/09/02 21:36:22
LP-64 EQ was the culprit! I'm suprised I haven't run into this scenario before now. Thank you guys so much, saved me much frustration.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1