[Solved] Staff View font issue [Replaced TTSNOTE.ttf]

Author
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
2015/09/11 22:47:06 (permalink)

[Solved] Staff View font issue [Replaced TTSNOTE.ttf]

I realized I posted this to the Music Creator forum, which I never monitor, since it was the most recent thread I could find. Anyone know where/what the font set is that is supposed to be used by the Staff View?

---- Below is copied from other post ----
I have not opened SV since I installed Platinum and was sort of shocked last night to see the same thing, which looks like this (both Platinum "G" and X3e):  
Note: Disregard the chord, as it was just to play with the insert, I left that because the # in the name shows up as a TAB character.

Searching the forum brought up this post which is over a decade old. Copying/pasting from that:  
"You will get this error if:
           a) You have a Font Manager installed and active on your system. Disable it, then launch Cakewalk. [None active, but Adobe has one embedded (and not running) in certain apps]
           b) You have a large number of fonts on your system. Check the Fonts folder in the Windows directory. You'll need to get most of the fonts off your system (right click and choose Remove), then launch Cakewalk. [277 fonts installed, not an issue]
          c) You've got a font in that folder named SYMBOL. Remove this font, then launch Cakewalk. [No font called "SYMBOL" installed]

Follow these instructions if you want to permanently install the TTSNOTE font (found in the Cakewalk directory):
          [1] Rename TTSNOTE.TTR to TTSNOTE.TTF
          [2] Rename TTSNOTE.FOR to TTSNOTE.TOF
          [3] Select Start | Settings | Control Panel | Fonts.
          [4] From the File menu select Install New Font.
          [5] Select the location of the TTSNoteStandard(True Type) font, and click OK. [No fonts exist on my system (or files anywhere for that matter) with "TTSNote" in them, so these steps got me no where.]

Let us know if you have further questions."   I honestly didn't dig to much beyond this, but I am unsure of what font set the Staff View is supposed to access.
post edited by mettelus - 2015/10/08 12:57:22

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.

6 Replies Related Threads

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: Staff View font issue 2015/09/12 07:59:30 (permalink)
    Have you check the font setting in the Edit layout function of staff view?

1. In staff view select Edit >  Layout
    2. Bottom left corner set font

This lets you set the font for different aspects of the Staff view, not sure is this is going to help but like you I can not locate the TTSNOTE.TTR files noted above.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    mettelus
    Re: Staff View font issue 2015/09/12 19:08:40 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply, Wookiee. I did a quick check of those, and they cover annotations (text) used in SV, and are also in the registry under "Staff View." The font I have either missing or overwritten seems to come up to WingDings. If something is missing, it would make sense that Windows may see this as the "closest font match."

Something else odd about the above screen cap is that font shows up as light blue (on screen, but in the capture it prints black). When I scroll through the font listing in Windows, about a dozen fonts also initially show up as light blue when scrolling, but about 1/2 second later turn black. I tried searching for what "light blue font" means to Windows7, but not had any luck with this.

I rebuilt this machine from scratch a couple months ago, so not a lot is installed, but I did disable a lot of ancillary processes along the way. I am not sure if Staff View is calling a process which I have disabled or not. The font which I should be seeing in SV is not obvious, so this is difficult to troubleshoot.

The meaning of a light blue font may be the answer, but I am struggling to find a clear description of this.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    JoeyAudioey
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 98
    Re: Staff View font issue 2015/10/08 11:00:11 (permalink)
    mettelus, I just sent you the TTSFONT.TTF file, which I'm certain you'll need installed in order for this to work properly. More info will be in the email, but installing that font should get you up and running.
    KPerry
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3120
    Re: Staff View font issue 2015/10/08 11:09:28 (permalink)
    Putting the ttsfont.ttf file in the SONAR executable directory also lets SONAR pick it up (or used to anyway).  If there's anything funky with Windows installing it as a "global" font, this might be worth a try too.
    mettelus
    Re: Staff View font issue 2015/10/08 12:47:12 (permalink)
    Thanks Joey! I did already have that font, but overwrote it with the one you sent, which resolved the issue. Existing notes still show up as light blue (no clue why for this), and new notes show up as the expected black. Not an issue for me really, since it now works.

---- aside wondering root cause ----
    Since other have not seen this issue (or very few), one thing with my rebuild in July came to mind which "may" have triggered this (but speculation). I specifically installed X1->Platinum in order, but left plugins out on the cycle. After the fact, I remember reinstalling X1 completely (several times because of the issue with the SN shift from X1c->Expanded), and wondering if doing that installed a TTSNOTE.ttf font that conflicted with Platinum. Windows "just decided" to replace the TTSNOTE.ttf font I had installed with WingDings.

mettelus
    Re: Staff View font issue 2015/10/12 12:53:02 (permalink)
    Just a quick close-out comment for this, as the light blue was a simple (expected) behavior from how I instantiate Staff View. I click a clip first, then right click to open the SV from the sub-menu. By doing this, all (existing) notes are selected because the clip has been. Light blue is simply the "selection" in the SV, and can be undone by clicking the track view (no clip) or a small right-drag in the SV (no note).

Another classic example of trying to troubleshoot expected behavior!

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1