[Solved] Tearing in Corel VideoStudio X10 [DEMO is not capable]

Author
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
2017/08/23 15:13:51 (permalink)

[Solved] Tearing in Corel VideoStudio X10 [DEMO is not capable]

Update for any who catch this thread - Corel came back with the statement "Yes, that feature is visible in the trial version because hardware acceleration is only available in the full version." I can reproduce tearing 100% by simply going into "Project" mode on the Editing tab, which also renders in an export. The DEMO itself is sluggish and hobbled, so an accurate assessment prior to purchase is not possible.

I saw this program in the Deals forum so tried it out last night and ran into an issue right away. I believe there is a SP1 update, but the DEMO version may be locked to the initial release. Hardware acceleration and quite a few feature are disabled (can only edit in mobile mode). The issue is that editing with their own stock video samples causes tearing after only a few passes on a clip, and seems 100% if using project mode. Out of curiosity, I rendered the video and the tearing is also present. Unless there is a simple fix for this, I hit a no-go in under 5 minutes. I ran a quick K-Lite install to check things and it removed one known bad codec, but I had the tearing issue before and after doing this.

Does anyone know offhand if this is a known issue and/or if this has been addressed? I have only ever seen tearing with a few freebie screen capture apps in the past, so this caught me off guard.
post edited by mettelus - 2017/08/25 15:24:42

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.

4 Replies Related Threads

TheSteven
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2037
    Re: Tearing in Corel VideoStudio X10 (DEMO) 2017/08/23 21:35:23 (permalink)
    is your VideoStudio the latest version?
    https://www.videostudiopro.com/en/support/updates/

and are your video drivers current?

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils" Loius-Hector Berlioz

www.AgitatedState.com MenuMagic - plug-in management powertools!
    My Tunes
    cclarry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 20964
    Re: Tearing in Corel VideoStudio X10 (DEMO) 2017/08/23 22:57:29 (permalink)
    TheSteven
    is your VideoStudio the latest version?
    https://www.videostudiopro.com/en/support/updates/

and are your video drivers current?

He's using the demo, so, no....which may be the problem,
    I don't have any issues...

mettelus
    Re: Tearing in Corel VideoStudio X10 (DEMO) 2017/08/24 03:22:34 (permalink)
    I was trying out the demo, yes, so that could easily be the underlying issue. I am not able to update/patch beyond what the demo "is" and it is obviously dumbed down. The samples they provide are all 30fps, but the only presets for projects are 29.97, although it does ask if you want to set the frame rate equal to the sample's rate on import. I tried different variations of things, preference changes, etc. to no avail. Drivers, etc. are all current.

This definitely makes me miss fully functional demos that have a shorter time span.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    mettelus
    Re: Tearing in Corel VideoStudio X10 (DEMO) 2017/08/25 15:28:30 (permalink)
    Updated the OP with Corel's response. Bottom line - the DEMO of this software cannot be used to evaluate the program. Enough issues have been noted that I cannot make a purchase on good faith - I have no way to tell what will be functional and still broken.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1