[Solved - kinda] add control surfaces not working, 'ghost' controllers in utilities menu

Author
subtlearts
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2200
2017/09/12 19:54:11 (permalink)

[Solved - kinda] add control surfaces not working, 'ghost' controllers in utilities menu

Hi all, sorry if this has been covered before, I did search for it but didn't turn anything up...

My control surfaces dialog seems kind of messed up. I've used it on and off over the years and have recently mostly used Alexey's AZ pluging to get things rolling - I have an AlphaTrack that is now fully functional after being abandoned by the developer, and I have a Kore unit that works pretty well as a CS as well. 

Now for various reasons I'm trying to add a wireless controller running TouchOSC, again with the AZ plugin. I'm having some trouble with that but I'll address that to Alexey on his own forum.

Right now my main concern is that when I try to add a control surface using the usual dialog under Preferences, nothing happens. Or rather, *apparently* nothing happens, in that I go through the process and the newly added CS does not appear in that dialog. However, it *does* appear under the Utilities dialog, which is now populated with a number of different things which I cannot seem to delete, and which I have no control of the MIDI input and output of, since they do not appear in the Prefs dialog where those controls are located. 

Has anyone else seen this? It's pretty strange - kind of abandoned ghost controllers that can neither be fully controlled nor deleted. Does anyone know where these are stored? Is there a registry entry where one could delete them? Or is there a function to reset the controller list? And is there a way to get the Control Surfaces dialog to actually add control surfaces again, I mean in the full and functional sense?

Any help much appreciated... 
post edited by subtlearts - 2017/09/13 14:45:41

tobias tinker 
music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
tobiastinker.com
aeosrecords.com
soundfascination.com
Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...

6 Replies Related Threads

subtlearts
    Re: preferences -> add control surfaces not working, 'ghost' controllers in utilities menu 2017/09/12 20:30:23 (permalink)
    I should add that in the Utilities menu, there is one entry greyed out - a Generic Control Surface one - and possibly because of this (or possibly unrelated, I don't know for sure) the entries seem offest by one after that one - i.e. if I click the entry below it, which is a Mackie one I added by mistake but can't delete, it opens instead the Generic one, and if I click the one below the Mackie one, it opens the Mackie one. All very strange. I would like to just purge them all and start fresh but there does not seem to be a way to do that... 

tobias tinker 
    music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
    tobiastinker.com
    aeosrecords.com
    soundfascination.com
    azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: preferences -> add control surfaces not working, 'ghost' controllers in utilities menu 2017/09/12 23:01:50 (permalink)
    In Windows File Explorer, change to the folder "%APPDATA%\Cakewalk\SONAR Platinum" ( type %APPDATA% as such, Windows will substitute it).
    Delete ctrlsurface.dat there, may be better also TTSSEQ.ini
    With a bit of luck, that should reset surfaces...

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    subtlearts
    Re: preferences -> add control surfaces not working, 'ghost' controllers in utilities menu 2017/09/13 11:54:11 (permalink)
    Thanks Alexey! (Why am I not surprised that it's you coming to my rescue?) 

That did the trick, allowing me to start my controller list fresh. What's odd is that the behaviour remains - when I add an AZ controller plugin, it does *not* appear in the control surfaces list under Preferences, but *does* appear under the Utilities menu.

Furthermore, the first one I add - whatever it is, whether your plugin, or Act, or Generic, ends up being greyed out and can't be clicked on, but the second one on the list opens the dialog for the first, and so on, so that the last one on the list opens the dialog for the second last one, but cannot itself be accessed at all. Whether this is a bug in Sonar, or something specific to my setup that's conflicting with your plugin somehow, I don't know... 

Nevertheless I've managed, with some fiddling, to get the three AZ plugins I want to use - for the Alphatrack, Kore, and OSC controllers respectively, plus my trusty Contour Shuttle (why, you may ask, would someone need 4 control surfaces plus mouse and keyboard? It's a fair question!) more or less working, which was the goal. 

Actually the OSC one is not entirely working, as it apparently can receive data from the computer - it updates time, track, volume, mute/solo etc correctly - but can't actually be used to control those things. I'm a bit stuck on this - it's kind of important to my recording flow at the moment to have a wireless controller so I can control things from the piano in another room from the computer - and would love it if you could spare a moment to help me get it sorted; I was going to post on your forum but the site seemed to be down yesterday... seems to be back up now though so I'll drop you a line over there...

Thanks again! 

tobias tinker 
    tobiastinker.com
    aeosrecords.com
    soundfascination.com
    subtlearts
    Re: preferences -> add control surfaces not working, 'ghost' controllers in utilities menu 2017/09/13 13:10:05 (permalink)
    Further note to Alexey: the Azslow.com site seems to be down again, or at least inaccessible from here. I did manage to post my question there though before it disappeared. If your site is having issues I can PM it to you here if that makes more sense...  

tobias tinker 
    tobiastinker.com
    aeosrecords.com
    soundfascination.com
    azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: preferences -> add control surfaces not working, 'ghost' controllers in utilities menu 2017/09/13 13:31:34 (permalink)
    I have just called my provider. DB connection was down yesterday evening and the whole thing has crashed today...
    On the good side, it seems like they have fixed it within 5 minutes after my call. So I have replied you there about OSC.

For the list. Have you removed both files or just one?
    If you have already tried with both, the only other option which comes to my mind is to check which MIDI devices our have in the system, cleanup old "hidden" if you have them in the Windows Device Manager (with "show inactive" view option set) and change the log for errors/reconnects. Sonar is somehow become worse in MIDI device detection last 2-3 updates. I already had correct Surface with correct ports in the list, while in reality the surface was connected to another (wrong) port by Sonar after I have attached my DP. But what you get is even more strange.  

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    subtlearts
    Re: preferences -> add control surfaces not working, 'ghost' controllers in utilities menu 2017/09/13 13:36:33 (permalink)
    Hi again. Yeah it's kind of bizarre alright, but I'm a practical man (up to a point) and for the moment I have a workaround that is functional so I may leave exploring the possible causes to another day. Yes, I deleted both files. There is only one strange driver in Device Manager (even with hidden devices showing), something called teVirtualMIDI. I'll try disabling that and see if it changes anything, but again I don't know if I want to mess with it now that it's basically working. I kind of want to get back to music! ;)

I'll reply to your touchOSC advice on your forum - thanks again!

tobias tinker 
    tobiastinker.com
    aeosrecords.com
    soundfascination.com
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1