Some Melodyne Tricks

Author
konradh
Max Output Level: -42 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3325
2013/10/16 11:40:00 (permalink)

Some Melodyne Tricks

Here are a couple of little things to know.

1.  Copy a section.  Suppose you edited chorus 1 and want to paste it into chorus 2.  Naturally, you select the blobs, click copy, position the cursor in the timeline for the second chorus, and hit paste.  The problem is that blobs do not always start right on a beat and it is hard to get the cursor in exactly the right place.  Here is what I do:
• Suppose the first blob starts somewhere between beat 2 and 3, for example.  I click a single small blob from anywhere, copy it, paste it exactly on beat 1, and use the volume tool to give it zero volume.
• Then I can highlight the whole section and paste it exactly on beat 1 of the next chorus.
• You can leave the zero volume blobs, or delete them later.  In fact, as long as you remember to delete them, you don't HAVE to make their volume zero, but it is safer to do so and the clear outline makes them easier to find and delete later.

2.  Move timing at once.  Some singers I know tend to rush.  When this happens, I highlight (select) a whole section of blobs and use the timing tool to slide them over a little.  Just be careful to positon the timing tool correctly so you slide the notes instead of stretching them.

3.  Sometimes if you hear a click in a note, it is because you used the pitch variation tool—the vibrato thing that looks like a triangle wave—to flatten out the PREVIOUS note too much.

4.  I always turn pitch snap off.  You can always double click a note to snap it to pitch, but sometimes you need to slide a note up or down just a little, especially when the singer is bending or sliding a note.

5.  My procedure for pitch is: a-position the notes at the correct pitch/note, then use the pitch drift tool to make sure they don't slide up or down too much, and c-finally use the pitch variation tool as needed.  My reasoning is that this order seems to make the best sense for hearing what needs to be done.  Your mileage may vary.

6. Formant.  For whatever reason, Melodyne seems to handle formants automatically better than V-Vocal, but I am seldom happy with the results when I try to edit formants myself in Melodyne.  If you watch the formant video on the Celemony site, you will notice that the narrator talks so loudly and so much that you can't really hear what he is doing.  Maybe it is just me, but I pretty much leave the formants alone.

Konrad
Current album and more: http://www.themightykonrad.com/

Sonar X1d Producer. V-Studio 700. PC: Intel i7 CPU 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM. Win 7 64-bit. RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLPC, Ivory II, Vienna Symphonic, Hollywood Strings, Electr6ity, Acoustic Legends, FabFour, Scarbee Rick/J-Bass/P-Bass, Kontakt 5. NI Session Guitar. Boldersounds, Noisefirm. EZ Drummer 2. EZ Mix. Melodyne Assist. Guitar Rig 4. Tyros 2, JV-1080, Kurzweil PC2R, TC Helicon VoiceWorks+. Rode NT2a, EV RE20. Presonus Eureka.  Rokit 6s. 

9 Replies Related Threads

Sanderxpander
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3873
    Re: Some Melodyne Tricks 2013/10/16 12:21:17 (permalink)
    1. You can also just move the entire edited clip in  Sonar, no need to select individual blobs.
    4. You can leave snap on and use alt to move freely between snaps. I wish Sonar had this feature. Maybe it does and I should watch a tutorial?
    konradh
    Max Output Level: -42 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3325
    Re: Some Melodyne Tricks 2013/10/16 12:57:55 (permalink)
    Totall agree about moving the clips prior to transfer into Melodyne; unfortunately, sometimes I don't notice the little timing mess ups until I am in Melodyne working and matching doubled parts, etc.  But for sure, it would be easier to move a whole section before going into Melodyne or after bouncing.

Konrad
    Current album and more: http://www.themightykonrad.com/

Sonar X1d Producer. V-Studio 700. PC: Intel i7 CPU 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM. Win 7 64-bit. RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLPC, Ivory II, Vienna Symphonic, Hollywood Strings, Electr6ity, Acoustic Legends, FabFour, Scarbee Rick/J-Bass/P-Bass, Kontakt 5. NI Session Guitar. Boldersounds, Noisefirm. EZ Drummer 2. EZ Mix. Melodyne Assist. Guitar Rig 4. Tyros 2, JV-1080, Kurzweil PC2R, TC Helicon VoiceWorks+. Rode NT2a, EV RE20. Presonus Eureka.  Rokit 6s. 
    dubdisciple
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5849
    Re: Some Melodyne Tricks 2013/10/16 13:09:34 (permalink)
    Great stuff. Thanks for sharing.
    stevec
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Some Melodyne Tricks 2013/10/16 14:18:51 (permalink)
    Sanderxpander
    4. You can leave snap on and use alt to move freely between snaps. I wish Sonar had this feature. Maybe it does and I should watch a tutorial?

Holding down the "N" key temporarily overrides the active Snap value.

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Sanderxpander
    Re: Some Melodyne Tricks 2013/10/16 15:02:29 (permalink)
    konradh
    Totall agree about moving the clips prior to transfer into Melodyne; unfortunately, sometimes I don't notice the little timing mess ups until I am in Melodyne working and matching doubled parts, etc.  But for sure, it would be easier to move a whole section before going into Melodyne or after bouncing.

I'm saying you can move the entire clip with Melodyne on it.
    Sanderxpander
    Re: Some Melodyne Tricks 2013/10/16 15:03:54 (permalink)
    stevec
    Sanderxpander

Holding down the "N" key temporarily overrides the active Snap value.

Awesome! Thank you! Gah I use so many DAWs one after another and nearly all of them use ALT or CTRL or SHIFT for this. Serves me right for not reading the manual. Thanks again!

stevec
    Re: Some Melodyne Tricks 2013/10/16 15:36:46 (permalink)
    You're welcome!   It's probably one of my most used keys.    

You can also assign alternative snap values by pressing and releasing the N key.

SteveC

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Sanderxpander
    Re: Some Melodyne Tricks 2013/10/16 16:03:24 (permalink)
    Err... how do you mean? For me it turns snap on and off, which I already knew. I would really like to be able to increment/decrement the snap values with a key command. I searched my ass off for this in the key bindings.
    stevec
    Re: Some Melodyne Tricks 2013/10/16 17:49:22 (permalink)
    Sorry, I was a little off with that....   This is from the "Defining and using the Snap Grid" section"

To use a secondary Snap to Grid resolution
    By default, SONAR uses the global Snap to Grid settings when snap is enabled. However, you can also specify a secondary Snap to Grid resolution that is in effect when holding down the N key.
    To assign the secondary Snap to Grid settings, hold down the N key while selecting the desired snap settings in the Control Bar’s Snap module.
    To momentarily apply the secondary Snap to Grid resolution, hold down the N key while dragging or editing data that is snapping to the grid. When the N key is released, the main global snap settings are restored.
    To swap the primary and secondary Snap to Grid settings, press CTRL+SHIFT+N.

SteveC

Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1