Some Waves questions...

Author
droddey
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5147
2007/05/09 19:20:41 (permalink)

Some Waves questions...

I purchased the NPP and the Ren Bass Maximizer thingie...

1. I'm trying to install the NPP. I've got them all registered and authorized on the silly iLok thing, and I've got the Ren Axx and NPP parts of it installed ok. But the stupid doubler installer just hangs. I end up with two instances of the program in the task list and it just sits there. I have to just kill it via the task list. Has anyone else experienced this? I've done all the usual things, tried the download again in case it got scrambled, rebooted, tried it directly from the web site, etc... It's always the same.

2. How the heck do I download the installer for the Ren Bass Maximizer? The downloads page only includes bundles for the most part. Where do you download the individual plugins that you've bought?

I've already submitted a question to tech support, but who knows how long that'll be. I figured I'd ask here as well and see if anyone else has the answers.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
www.charmedquark.com

22 Replies Related Threads

rumleymusic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1533
    RE: Some Waves questions... 2007/05/09 19:31:26 (permalink)
    Welcome to the waves club! The older version of installshield they use does not always work. It sometimes involves going to your boot.ini file and changing the words "OptionOn" to "AlwaysOff". But they will explain that to you. I think for the download you have to download the bundle and just authorize the Renn Bass.
    droddey
    RE: Some Waves questions... 2007/05/09 19:48:19 (permalink)
    And these folks are the Caddilac of plugins?

Anyway, the boot.ini thing didn't help. And it's not that it doesn't run, it does. It just hangs at some point. It obviously turns around and invokes another copy of itself, probably with some sort of command line options, and the second one hangs. So they both end up there in the task list doing nothing.
    post edited by droddey - 2007/05/09 19:51:48

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    droddey
    RE: Some Waves questions... 2007/05/09 19:59:50 (permalink)
    Dang, that means I have to install the Gold bundle, so I'm going to have a bazzillion plugins that I can't use in my plugin menu. That also is less than impressive.

Oh, and I just tried to install the Gold thing and it says that the NPP is installed and therefore I have to uninstall that first. So this makes no sense at all. Do I have to uninstall the NPP and install the Gold package? If so, what's the point in even selling an NPP to begin with if you have to uninstall it in order to install any other single plugin?

[CORRECTION: It wasn't ren bass, but maxx bass.]
    post edited by droddey - 2007/05/09 20:05:32

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Some Waves questions... 2007/05/09 20:45:42 (permalink)
    I got the diamond bundle a few weeks ago and i still havent played with everything yet. Everytime i open a new plug, its like Christmas all over. The plugs that i have used so far are amazing. Have fun fun exploring all the effects.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    droddey
    RE: Some Waves questions... 2007/05/09 20:51:58 (permalink)
    I wish I could, but I can't get them installed :-)

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: Some Waves questions... 2007/05/09 22:10:33 (permalink)
    CJay maybe you can answer a question I've never figured out by searching the Waves website. How much is the ongoing subscription price that Waves talks about? They seem to try to hide that figure until after you have purchased the pack.

thanks,
    mike
    droddey
    RE: Some Waves questions... 2007/05/09 22:19:06 (permalink)
    Actually, I already purchased and I wasn't aware of one either.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    Phrauge
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    RE: Some Waves questions... 2007/05/09 22:35:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mike_mccue

How much is the ongoing subscription price that Waves talks about? They seem to try to hide that figure until after you have purchased the pack.

Waves WUP
    droddey
    RE: Some Waves questions... 2007/05/09 22:43:34 (permalink)
    Oh, OK. Well, I can't say much about that, since we have a similar thing with our customers, though ours is half that much and a much larger and more complex product.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: Some Waves questions... 2007/05/09 22:53:49 (permalink)
    Thanks Phrauge,
    Last time I was shopping and considering the Diamond Bundle you *had* to purchase the WUP to get the L3. The problem for me was that the pricing seemed to be *top secret*. I guess the $200 cap is a response to concerns similar to mine.

best,
    mike
    droddey
    RE: Some Waves questions... 2007/05/10 14:47:20 (permalink)
    Well, I got an e-mail back from support, which indicated that the person didn't even bother to read what I wrote, because he asked me to do things that I clearnly indicated in my e-mail that I'd already done. That kind of thing really gets my panties in a wad.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: Some Waves questions... 2007/05/10 15:40:18 (permalink)
    Is anyone using the SSL plugs? I'm tempted to purchase this. Never used any Waves stuff before, along with usb dongles. Any comments, pro or con on the SSL would be appreciated. Thanks. BTW, I'm running Sonar PE 6.2 w/ an RME FF800. Does it all play together nice?

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    RE: Some Waves questions... 2007/05/10 16:13:41 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: lhansen
    Is anyone using the SSL plugs? I'm tempted to purchase this. Never used any Waves stuff before, along with usb dongles. Any comments, pro or con on the SSL would be appreciated. Thanks. BTW, I'm running Sonar PE 6.2 w/ an RME FF800. Does it all play together nice?

The SSL bundle sounds/works great!
    Right on par with the UAD plugins...

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: Some Waves questions... 2007/05/10 16:27:49 (permalink)
    Thanks for the quick response Jim. Well, that's +1 so far. Waiting for others to chime in. I normally use the plugs that come with Sonar and a few Voxengo plugs as well. I noticed it's not cheap, so I want to make sure that it sounds good and quite useable for what I do. I don't want this to sit up on the "software shelve", collecting dust.

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    RE: Some Waves questions... 2007/05/10 16:35:41 (permalink)
    I don't want this to sit up on the "software shelve", collecting dust.

Get some othere feedback for sure...
    The SSL plugs are great "work-horse" plugins... that I use extensively.
    BTW, I've not been a big Waves fan. The SSL bundle (IMO) is a significant step up (quality wise) over their previous efforts.

If you have an iLok, I'd highly recommend downloading the demo.
    Try mixing some acoustic drum tracks...

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    droddey
    RE: Some Waves questions... 2007/05/10 16:43:48 (permalink)
    Well, I'm not impressed so far. I got a callback from tech support, basically just a phone monkey who doesn't know much. He didn't even know what the task list is. I pretty much gave up at that point and called sales to try to just get my products unauthorized and get my money back but, suprise, they have no way of unauthorizing a product from their stupid iLok thingie, so they won't refund me. I should have spent my money on a company that worries less about paranoia and more about just providing a good product. But I guess I have no choice now but to struggle through and get it working.

He also told me to just install the whole gold bundle to get the one Maxx Bass thing. I told him that this wouldn't work because the Gold Bundle installer tells me I have to uninstall the NPP first. This seemed to be news to him.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    droddey
    RE: Some Waves questions... 2007/05/10 18:31:07 (permalink)
    Well, we are slowly struggling towards getting a working set of plugins here. All kinds of issues, mostly I think related to the iLok thing and complications it has introduced into the situation. They'll probably just about lose money on me from the time spent just getting me up and running, which should tell them something.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    droddey
    RE: Some Waves questions... 2007/05/10 21:36:05 (permalink)
    BTW, I shouldn't have used the term 'phone monkey' up there. That's prety offensive and stronger than I meant it to be. It's just he was clearly an overseas call centerish type person, not a technical person who should be fielding calls on this specialized an application.

So we've got everything but the IR and doubler, the installers for which just will not run. They are basically just going to put the raw files up on FTP for me to grab tomorrow.

In the end, I didn end up loading the Gold package and not the NPP, and just enabling those plugins that were included in the NPP. They really though should streamline the whole installation and installer process. The biggest package isn't that big. They should just have one installer that can install all of the components, and have some selections for packages (which can be easily changed by them by just updating a list that gets compiled into the installer) plus all of the individual plugs. It would be much easier for us and them.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    rumleymusic
    RE: Some Waves questions... 2007/05/11 13:25:09 (permalink)
    GOT IT!

I searched through my email to find my support document. The second option worked, not the first

Please take these steps:

1. Please right-click on My Computer > Properties > Advanced (tab) >
    Under Startup and Recovery click Settings > Under System Startup click Edit.
    2. It will open a notepad doc.
    3. The end of the last line will read 'NoExecute=OptOn'.
    4. Replace OptOn with alwaysoff.
    5. Go to the File drop-down menu and save the file.

Also:

This probably indicates an InstallShield error that prevents the Waves installer from running correctly.

To solve this Please take these steps:

1. Go to: C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime
    2. Delete the "0701" folder.
    3. Empty the recycle bin.
    4. Reinstall the Waves bundle.
    droddey
    RE: Some Waves questions... 2007/05/11 14:31:10 (permalink)
    We also cleaned up the install shield runtime, but that didn't help either. So it's neither of those things that's causing the problem.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    rumleymusic
    RE: Some Waves questions... 2007/05/11 16:04:14 (permalink)
    Wow, looks like your kinda stuck.

I guess you could do a fresh windows intall but you have to ask yourself if it is worth it, as even that may not fix it.

The doubler intalled fine for me, it was the NPP and IRX that hung up and sometimes rebooted my systerm.

Sorry.
    droddey
    RE: Some Waves questions... 2007/05/11 16:54:19 (permalink)
    They are just going to put the raw files up on FTP for me, and I'll just manaully put them in place and register them as filters. It'll work, but you have to really wonder about supposedly the best plugin company out there when it has this kind of problems for us just to get it installed. I never had the slightest problems with my Kjaerhus or Voxengo plugins, and frankly I'm not sure that there's much difference in quality between them for the most part.

I did some tests yesterday with the Kjaehus CO1 compressor and the Waves C1. I couldn't hear any significant differences and the Kjaerhus provides considerably more tweakability, which when used seemed to give it some edge (such as the ability to EQ the side chain signal and much more control over envelopes and PDR.) The Waves EQ is nice and the ability to have only as many slots as you need is an interesting benefit, but I can't say that it sounds better than the Kjaerhus EQ7 really, it's just more flexible in some ways.

I also did a test of the limiter against the Kjaerhus MPL-1. Here perhaps the L1 Ultra may have scored a noticable win, but the Kjaerhus has more tweakability also and I've not explored all those options well enough to know if I've really gotten the most out of it yet. They did create noticeably different wave forms with the settings as closely matched as they would allow, though that might have been because I'd turned off the stereo linking on the MPL-1. It limits volume maximization but provides a more natural sound in my opinion. But the L1 Utra on the analog setting did have a nice sound to it.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1