Some X1 UI Questions

Author
Steltek
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2011/01/10 00:46:06 (permalink)

Some X1 UI Questions

Hello all,

I recently purchased X1, and this is my first use of Sonar for about 10 years.  I started computer recording with Cakewalk Studio (before it was called Sonar - I forget the name) in the 90's and so I really want to get back to my roots, but I'm having some UI issues that are impeding my adoption of it.

Issue #1 - Update View by clicking on new track
I lay out most of my songs using the piano roll.  When I click a new track, the piano roll does not update to the new track, unless I press Alt+3 again.  This gets tedious.  I've searched high and low but cannot find a setting to update the view to the highlighted track.  Is there a way to do this?

Issue #2 - Copy and Paste or Duplicate
I often want to duplicate a pattern.  I do this tons when first setting up a song just to get a general structure in place.  I'm very tired of the dialog that asks me what I want to copy.  Is there a way to make it so the settings stick and not keep appearing?  I've unchecked "ask every time" but it still keeps asking me.  Is there a way to remove this dialog once and for all so that I can duplicate patterns rapidly?

Issue #3 - Note placement on piano roll
When I click to make a new note on the piano roll, and I'm in the right half of the column, even if just one pixel to the right half, it puts the note in the column adjacent to the right.  This is quite frustrating.  Is there a way to make it so that wherever I click in the column, the note goes in the column where I clicked?

Thanks for any help,

Matt

3 Replies Related Threads

HumbleNoise
    Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2946
    Re:Some X1 UI Questions 2011/01/10 10:12:18 (permalink)
    #1 - Try double clicking the track to bring up the PRV with that tracks MIDI data.

#2 - Not sure but Cntrl drag will copy anything no?

#3 - This bugs me too and haven't figured out to get the notes where I want them other than to shrink the snap to setting.

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
    MAudio 2496
    Yamaha MG 12/4
    Roland XV-88
    Intel MB with Q6600 and 4 GB Ram
    NVidia 9800 GTX
    Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Some X1 UI Questions 2011/01/10 14:08:49 (permalink)
    #3 - yep, the only reliable way - at the moment - is to switch off Snap To Grid <sigh>

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Steltek
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Some X1 UI Questions 2011/01/10 15:25:55 (permalink)
    Thanks for the tips.

#1 - I was double clicking in the track name column.  I see now that you have to double click in the clips column.

#2 - Control dragging is definitely a help.  I see that it also works in the PRV, which is nice.  Makes shorter work of throwing up a bunch of 16th notes.

#3 - I see it is slightly more tolerable when you set snap to 1/8th or smaller, but it still likes to put things to the right of center, rather than where you click.

Again, thanks.  I am really looking forward to taking advantage of the mixing improvements when I get a song composed.  That is what sold me on trying this version.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1