Some ideas for podcast

Author
JYEStudio
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2016/09/16 12:38:08 (permalink)

Some ideas for podcast

Greetings,

Before, I used Sonar solely for music. Now, I am using Sonar mainly to produce my podcasts. Definitively there are differences between producing music and podcast. I think I've identified some potential features that can enhance my experience using Sonar for podcast production. Hopefully they are new features, but chances are some of this features already exist and I will appreciate if somebody point me to the solution.

Here I'll share a few of my ideas:

Clip Captions
I use Clip Captions a lot, mainly as a quick note or one-line summary of what a person is saying on that clip. I will like to have:
  • The ability to uniquely rename each clip on the same track automatically. When I split a track, both sides has the same clip name. I'll like to have the option so that when I split a track, each will have a new name, say "track 01" and "track 02". This can even go stronger as to have the option of "force unique clip names per track". This, of course, is not something you want during music production, so it must be an option. Even better if the option is per track. The advantage of this is that, let say a person says "I like ham and cheese and broccoli and beer and bread and butter." If you want or need to reshuffle his words and you quickly split this, all the small portions has the same clip name and, if in the middle something distract you, you can get easily lost.
  • The ability to resize the Clip Caption strip (including the font size) on the tracks. They are too small. I believe that up to 50% of the track height will be excellent.
  • The ability to export the Clip Captions to a text file. Making my scripts will be a lot more easier if I can export somehow the clip captions to a text file or something. It should have options like: "Only selected tracks" or "All clip captions, per track" or "All clip captions, as they appear". I don't know if there is a standard or best-practice on markups for scripts. I usually mark the voices on my scripts enclosed with [ ] and sounds, fx and music with { }. For example:

The man entered the room and said:
[Man 1 - asking for the money]
{FX track - door closing}
but nobody answered, until suddenly one kid quietly said to his mother:
[Kid 3 - who is he]
{Music track - drone sound}

For example, "Man 1" is the name of the track and "asking for the money" is the Clip Caption. If at least I can export the Clip Captions to a text file like that and with one type of markup, just that will be awesome.
  • The ability to move clips by Clip Caption. This will be awesome but I am sure it will be very tricky. The idea is to have a separate window with all the Clip Captions forming a column (even better if the color of the track match the color of the Clip Caption in that window). For example, let say I only have one track. My Clip Caption window might look like this:

[Track 1 - Part A]
[Track 1 -Part B]
[Track 1 -Part C]
[Track 1 -Part D]

If I grab [Track 1 -Part D] with my mouse and position it between [Track 1 -Part A] and [Track 1 -Part B], the clip with Clip Name [Track 1 -Part D] on that track will place itself between clips [Track 1 -Part A] and [Track 1 -Part B].

I have more features I'll like to ask for, which I'll share later, especially if you (Cakewalk) are ok on making Sonar more friendly for podcasters.

Thanks for your consideration.
EJ Vargas

post edited by JYEStudio - 2016/09/16 13:00:15

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1