Some new ideas about SONAR for macOS.

Author
ShikiSuen
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2017/04/20 17:06:25 (permalink)

Some new ideas about SONAR for macOS.

I know it may be too late since Cakewalk now officially gave up their efforts due to their recent efforts wasted on emulation (but not the native development of the macOS version of SONAR). However, I guess that my idea may be helpful here.

Please think of making the Cakewalk SONAR Home Studio into an open-source software*, allowing volunteer developers to develop the native version of SONAR for macOS. This could be an experimental first step at this moment.

* For the open-sourced release it could have no factory plugins or samples but just the DAW application itself.

5 Replies Related Threads

azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: Some new ideas about SONAR for macOS. 2017/04/20 17:41:48 (permalink)
    ShikiSuen
    Please think of making the Cakewalk SONAR Home Studio into an open-source software*, allowing volunteer developers to develop the native version of SONAR for macOS. This could be an experimental first step at this moment.

You can try to contact Gibson... if you have sufficient number of (millions) $$$, you ca buy the source code and then make it open source. Several of us will write "Thank you for the gift!"

There is one Sonar related open source part, Cakewalk Control Surface SDK. What you think how many "volunteer developers" it has collected since it was made public many years ago?

EDIT: if you think you can port the whole code to native Mac within reasonable time and for reasonable money, I suggest you contact Cakewalk

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    BobF
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8124
    Re: Some new ideas about SONAR for macOS. 2017/04/20 20:24:09 (permalink)
    Blender was "freed" by tons of people donating to buy the source and release it.

Bob  --
    Angels are crying because truth has died ...
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    --
    Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
    Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
    Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: Some new ideas about SONAR for macOS. 2017/04/20 21:22:57 (permalink)
    ShikiSuen
    I know it may be too late since Cakewalk now officially gave up their efforts due to their recent efforts wasted on emulation (but not the native development of the macOS version of SONAR). 

My reading of the recent Cakewalk port is that it was not emulation, but rather an attempt to translate Windows code into native Mac OS code using an automated system, and then clean up the code manually where the robot work was not working. Emulation would imply that the Windows code was still running behind some kind of intermediate software. The best answer for those who have paid too much for a computer and want to run Windows code on it, is to pay some more to get Bootcamp and Windows, then run native Windows code under Windows on an Apple Intel machine. 

Those who want to labor without reward to bring forth an open source quality DAW, would be better advised to join one of the Linux based DAW projects and free the DAW from the jaws of either Apple or Microsoft.
    azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: Some new ideas about SONAR for macOS. 2017/04/20 22:18:50 (permalink)
    BobF
    Blender was "freed" by tons of people donating to buy the source and release it.

After all these years Open Source exists, some people still do not understand that it COST THE SAME MONEY TO DEVELOP as commercial software (when comparable in quality) and someone has to pay that...
    Sometimes that are developers (open source "fanatic fundamentalists" like original GNU stack, government throw universities or simply because of failure in marketing), sometimes companies do that for several reasons, donators are at the very end of the list (quality software development is very expensive).

slartabartfast
    My reading of the recent Cakewalk port is that it was not emulation, but rather an attempt to translate Windows code into native Mac OS code using an automated system, and then clean up the code manually where the robot work was not working. Emulation would imply that the Windows code was still running behind some kind of intermediate software.

You can get an idea what it is reading about WineHQ. It is a kind of emulation, not source code translation. The intermediate layer implement calls usual for one platform (in this case Windows) using calls on other platform (in this case OS X). That can be done "dynamically" (that is how you can run original Sonar X3 on Linux and I guess on OS X as well) or "statically" (I guess the Alpha is done this way). In both case since the implementation of Windows is not real Windows, that intermediate layer should be tweaked when something goes wrong. CodeWavers make it more and more "like" Windows, but MS continue the development and they are always behind... XP API is almost perfect now (so any program which works under XP works under the emulator), but more modern API versions still have many halls.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: Some new ideas about SONAR for macOS. 2017/04/20 23:00:23 (permalink)
    I am also a Linux user (non-music), and have tried Wine with Winetricks and Play on Linux.  CodeWeavers Crossover uses Wine.

I have been able to get a few Windows apps to run with Wine on Linux, but it is not easy.  Some things work, others don't. Translation, you need loads of free time.  Need to research what applications work in which version of Wine and under what version of Windows.  Much easier to just run a Windows VM! 

It seems that Wine creates a pseudo Windows environment for the applications to run in, so that the DLLs and APIs needed are present when the application needs them.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1