Something I've never quite understood about panning

Author
sasmith
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 20
2007/11/09 09:39:47 (permalink)

Something I've never quite understood about panning

. . . or perhaps, more specifically, how DAWs etc handle panning. (Probably a couple of things, actually).

I'll use a specific-ish example, although the context isn't exclusive to the question. Say I've started off with a Reason track rewired into Sonar and, on the Reason mixer it's panned, say, hard-left (the input track in Sonar remaining centred). I then bounce that track down in Sonar, and probably get rid of Reason. If I later decided I wanted that track panned, for arguments sake, hard-right and so pan the new Sonar audio track hard-right, what is actually happening ? Would the result be 'relative' to the original panning, or does the DAW know what the score is with the bounced track and actually pan it correctly ?

I'm probably (more than likely) not explaining this very well. To put it another way, thinking more in terms of degrees, assuming 0 degrees to be hard left, 180 degrees hard-right, and 90 degrees centred : the original hard-left Reason mixer was at 0 degrees, bounced onto a track that is set at 90 degrees. Does panning this bounced track hard-right correctly move the panning to 180 degrees or, given that the pan 'setting' has only moved 90 degrees, actually move the track from 0 to 90 degrees ?

The main reason I ask this, is that I often do the bare bones of a track in Reason, standing-alone, then rewire into Sonar, probably tinker/add a bit more, and eventually bounce everything out of Reason and disregard Reason from then on, working exclusively in Sonar (I very rarely keep Sonar and Reason rewired right up to completion of the track). Ofen, a while after bouncing (particularly if I'm playing about with panning as outlined above) I'll always thing to myself 'Oh, shoot - should I have reset everything on the Reason mixer before bouncing down ?'. Even whilst Reason and Sonar are rewired, I'm not really clear on what the result is in having a track panned on the Reason mixer whilst the input track in Sonar is centred.

If anyone's still awake by this point, grateful for any advice.

Simon

2 Replies Related Threads

larrymcg
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1310
    RE: Something I've never quite understood about panning 2007/11/09 12:51:07 (permalink)
    I'm still awake.....
    I'm a ProAudio9 user, no experience with Sonar and Reason. But, I'll make some comments anyway.

It may make a difference on whether the source and/or destination tracks are stereo or mono. Panning is done a bit differently for stereo versus mono tracks.

When bouncing (or exporting) tracks you can apply or not apply such things as pan and effects. So you can have it panned hard left or right when listening to the track in Sonar but bounce it unpanned.

What I would suggest is that you do some controlled experiments (write down the tons of options used) and see what you get. You can listen to the results and/or use an audio editor to see what you get.

For example, in PA9 I took a stereo track and bounced it to a stereo track while panned hard left (panning enabled during the bounce). The result has everything in the left channel and nothing in the right channel. If I then panned the new track to the right the volume just lowered in the left channel until it became silent. The sound does not move to the right at all. Maybe if I had bounced to a mono track it would work differently.

--Larry

Intel Core i7-4790 @3.6GHz; 8GB; Win10 Pro 64bit; 1TB disk + 3TB ext disk; Midiman Fineline mixer; MidiSport 4x4 midi I/F; Roland JV-30 kbd/synth; Yamaha TG55 synth; Rx with 3 piece Home audio speakers; Sonar X3e Studio
    aaronk
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1275
    RE: Something I've never quite understood about panning 2007/11/09 13:14:26 (permalink)
    You've set out a good argument for saving panning until late in the mixing process, or at least not printing it.

Figuring out what effect the panning controls will actually have, is a fairly difficult process in SONAR, especially when dealing with combinations of track pans, input pans and output pans.

This would be an interesting area for some improvement in SONAR.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1