Something to Gnaw on!!

Author
6stringsat100mph
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1385
2005/01/17 07:09:47 (permalink)

Something to Gnaw on!!

I have been moving all weekend and I am not finished even at this wee hour. I am about to take my computer down and I will not be up and running again for a few weeks. I will not be able to record either.....aaaaaargggghh. So I thought I would give you something to gnaw on while I was unable to participate. If I had a new original (like I had hoped I would) ready, I certainly would have posted it. So I guess this will have to do....
I will be checking in from the office from time to time...so I hope you all have many tunes for me to listen too! I am looking forward to hearing them...

Here is (in my opinion, you may disagree) one of those "Lucky Takes" for me on Vocals. The backing tracks were done probably sometime during the first month I had my new gear. So that would place it around the end of 2003 or the first part of 2004. Anyway it is a cover of course, The Police's "Roxanne" and I choose it because of the low instrument count, and the fact that I already knew the Bass and guitar. After trying and trying to hit alot of the notes I was unable to get enough good takes to complete the song, so I put it down and moved on. About two months ago I pulled it out when some musician friends (two people actually) were over and we proceeded to play around with it and this is what that result was. So remember, (if you find the vocals at least a little better than fair) that if you cant get a part where you want it, put it down and come at it fresh and alot of the time you will shock yourself. Even if it is somewhat out of your range, as this one was for me.

Thanks for listening and most of all thank you for all the support and encouragment you have given to me this past year.
I cant tell you all how much it has meant to me.
Regards,
Mark

ROXANNE

6 Replies Related Threads

ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: Something to Gnaw on!! 2005/01/17 07:34:08 (permalink)
    Mark, You nailed it. You pulled off the baritone guy sings high tenor thing again, and really well too.
    6stringsat100mph
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1385
    RE: Something to Gnaw on!! 2005/01/17 11:26:56 (permalink)
    bump
    mwalter
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 204
    RE: Something to Gnaw on!! 2005/01/17 12:25:46 (permalink)
    Dude, that's awesome.

How much did you have to pay Sting to come to Vegas and sing it? Come to think of it, I doubt that Sting could sing it in that key anymore.

Really, very nice job. I'd have never thought of covering that tune.

Great Job.
    m11
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 417
    RE: Something to Gnaw on!! 2005/01/17 18:26:33 (permalink)
    Mark,

again a cover of one of my all time favourites.

I hope yuo don't want me to comment the production and mix. It would take pages...

Just two things I want to tell you:

1.) I was really surprised (in a very positive way) how extremely well you did the vocals. I know it's really difficult to reach the high notes. Hey, it really sounds like Sting!
    Or did the last "problems", you mentioned in the most interesting thread ever at the coffee house make you a eunuch? <jk>

2.) Go and get you a decent chorus plugin PLEASE!!!

Hope you enjoy your new place.
    Regards
    Melf
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    RE: Something to Gnaw on!! 2005/01/17 19:08:17 (permalink)
    oooooo .. all that analog chorus takes me back ;-) nice job...
    jeff
    pluto
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 875
    RE: Something to Gnaw on!! 2005/01/18 00:58:22 (permalink)
    Good luck with your new place 6strings, I'm sure
    you'll be happy with it. Moving can be stressful
    so just hang in there.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1