Sonar 3 Bug Bug Bug

Author
Richard Fey
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 650
2003/11/15 14:15:18 (permalink)

Sonar 3 Bug Bug Bug

Speaking of bugs, have these been recognized?

• Hardware Main volume fader mixdown calibration error

• Stereo to Mono summing error when hard panned tracks feed the Master Bus

• Off-center pan values in a Track-Send results in volume increase in
    the exported wave file not present during realtime playback

These have been emailed with recipes to Cake support weeks ago without any acknowledgement and forum posted and ignored the week before last.

8 Replies Related Threads

Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
    Cakewalk Staff
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: Sonar 3 Bug Bug Bug 2003/11/15 14:53:06 (permalink)
    I couldn't find your original bug reports. Could you provide recipes for these issues in more detail? We fixed an issue with send pan which will be in the next update but im not sure if you are referring to the same issue from your description.

ORIGINAL: Richard Fey
    Speaking of bugs, have these been recognized?

• Off-center pan values in a Track-Send results in volume increase in
      the exported wave file not present during realtime playback

Noel Borthwick
    Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
    My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
    ba_midi
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14061
    RE: Sonar 3 Bug Bug Bug 2003/11/15 14:57:52 (permalink)

These have been emailed with recipes to Cake support weeks ago without any acknowledgement and forum posted and ignored the week before last.

Richard, I know bugs/problems are real annoying, but I just want to suggest that Cakewalk does listen (I think they do) and it takes time to track down the cause of bugs in such a large Application as Sonar. So I would be a little more patient if ya can. I'm sure they want to fix any bugs they know of, it's what makes their product more valuable to all of us.

CHeers :)

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    willum
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 103
    RE: Sonar 3 Bug Bug Bug 2003/11/15 17:02:54 (permalink)
    These have been emailed with recipes to Cake support weeks ago...

Heh. Cake recipes.
    Richard Fey
    RE: Sonar 3 Bug Bug Bug 2003/11/15 17:36:51 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ba_midi
    Richard, I know bugs/problems are real annoying, but I just want to suggest that Cakewalk does listen (I think they do) and it takes time to track down the cause of bugs in such a large Application as Sonar. So I would be a little more patient if ya can. I'm sure they want to fix any bugs they know of, it's what makes their product more valuable to all of us.

CHeers :)

Thanks for the advice.

Richard Fey
    RE: Sonar 3 Bug Bug Bug 2003/11/15 17:41:15 (permalink)
    I'll tell you what's really annoying is to compose a lengthy message, get disconnected from your IPS, reconnect and try to send the still open message window and have the message eaten and deleted in exchange for the following message:

We are sorry...
    You are seeing this message because of one of the following reasons:

You tried to post information from another domain.
    Personal firewall installed on your computer explicitly erased "http_referer" information.
    Problem #1:

Forum admin enabled domain checking to prevent any unauthorized access from other domains. Please use http://www.cakewalk.com/forum/ to access our forum. You may click here to try again.

Problem #2:

Your personal firewall software may explicitly erased "http_referer" information from your browser. This small piece of information is used for security reasons only and we do not store this information on our web server, our database server, nor your browser (as cookies).

You will be able to view the content on our forums but you will not be able to post messages without "http_referer". The following personal firewall applications are known to cause this problem:

Norton Internet Security 2002:

Options
    Personal Firewall
    Advanced Options
    Browsing Privacy
    Click on the Permit tab from the drop down box on the Browser (User Agent)
    Zone Alarm Pro Edition (under Privacy Sections):

Mobile Code Control > Off
    Ad blocking > Off
    Cookie Control > Off
    It is also possible to set our forum's URL as a trusted site on some firewall software so that the software's settings will not conflict with our forums. For more information on firewall configuration, please consult the manual accompanied with the firewall software for detailed configuration instructions.

You should look for the following specific sections in the firewall's help file should you need to tweak your firewall settings:

Ad-blocking, as we use pop-up windows for various page functionalities. You should set the block level to "low" or turn it off completely while browsing our forums. Some firewall software can't differentiate an Ad from legitimate page functionalities.
    User Agent settings, as we need to identify whether you are accessing our forums from the designated URL (specified by forum admin). In our case, the designated URL would be: http://www.cakewalk.com/forum/
    Script-blocking, as we use JavaScript for various page functionalities. Our JavaScript codes are available for viewing in case you are unsure of the safety issues involved.
    Trusted Site/Zone, as you can set our forum's URL as a trusted URL in your firewall to prevent all the problems without having to switch off the above features in your firewall.

Technical Information

For more information, please contact forum admin.
    For forum software inquiry, please contact info@aspplayground.net or visit ASPPlayground.NET.

Richard Fey
    RE: Sonar 3 Bug Bug Bug 2003/11/16 11:27:29 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]

I couldn't find your original bug reports. Could you provide recipes for these issues in more detail? We fixed an issue with send pan which will be in the next update but im not sure if you are referring to the same issue from your description.

I wrote a lenghty recipe right after you asked only to have it eaten by the Forum when I clicked send.
    I'm going to try this again and this time I think I'll make incremental backups to my message in case my ISP disconnects again and the new Forum bites, I mean eats it. <G> So, here's a condensed version of the original.

Record a test tone to a track at 0db. Send that track to a Bus or directly to a Hardware Main, center-panned all the way. With the Hardware Main signal showing 0 db, set the HM Volume fader to an arbitrary -10 db and export the project to a .wav file. The resulting file is not at the expected -10 db but at -20 db.

Set the track pan of an audio track with mono clips to 90R and set the track Output to the Master Bus. Toggle the stereo/mono switch of that Bus to mono. The left channel level on the Bus (and track) incorrectly increases to match the original right channel level with no peak level reduction.

However, if you send that same track to a Sub Bus whose output is set to Master Bus, and then toggle the Master Bus' stereo/mono switch to mono, the left and right channels on the Master Bus and the audio output are properly summed to mono; equal left and right levels but an overall peak reduction. This is the same behavior as when you toggle the Hardware Main stereo/mono switch.

Neither of those routing scenarios nor toggling the Master Bus to mono to check a mix should be uncommon.
    Two normal routing scenarios with different stereo to mono summing from the Master Bus.

• Off-center pan values in a Track-Send results in volume increase in the exported wave file not present during realtime playback

You might have been contacted on this one by Eric. P, who discovered it. Not much else to say about this one. To pin this down, route a track to a bus exclusively using a Track-Send, set the track's Output to None to isolate the signal path. Record a signal to the track at an arbitrary level. Set the Track-Send panning to 50%. Check the peak level during realtime playback versus an exported .wav file. I see an approximate 5 dB increase in the exported file from a 50% pan value.

HTH

•  
    Richard Fey
    RE: Sonar 3 Bug Bug Bug 2003/11/18 12:40:49 (permalink)
    disconnected from your IPS

I meant ISP.

Pingman
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Sonar 3 Bug Bug Bug 2003/11/18 15:35:15 (permalink)
    I have noted too the stereo to mono problem.
    Basically when you set the pan totally to the right on a stereo track and then route it to the master out, you obtain a estereo output with only right channel sounding.
    Right, but then, if you press the mono button on the master bus you must to obtain a mono signal with the audio sound of the right channel of the source on both speakers ¿isnt it?, but in S3 you can hear cleary a mono sound containing both, the left and right tracks mixed together!!. The panner of the track source is not running at all in this situation, and you can see it on the level meters of the track channel. (both left and right meters flash).

Another bug i have encountered is relative to Sonar3 with the Mackie control Surface i own. The snapshot button of the mackie doesnt have effect. (dont writes any envelopes on the track view). In fact the only effect it does is to disarm the automation data option.

With Sonar 2.2 it works perfect.

Regards.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1