Sonar 3 w/ MBox

Author
deltadreams
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 101
2004/05/08 10:02:43 (permalink)

Sonar 3 w/ MBox

I have a Dell Inspiron 5100. 2.4 Ghz. 512 MB Ram.

I'm thinking of getting the MBox with ProTools LE. But does anyone know if the mbox will work with a this setup?

Has anyone gotten the MBox to work with Sonar 3 as well using ASIO? I posted on the Digidesign newsgroup but no luck in a response.

Does anyone know if you need to reroute the physical outputs to inputs when bouncing soft synth tracks using MBox?
< Message edited by deltadreams -- 5/9/2004 10:06:26 AM >

12 Replies Related Threads

stevec
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11546
    RE: Sonar 3 w/ MBox 2004/05/10 13:41:14 (permalink)
    I don't really know anything about the Mbox, but softsynths won't require any special routing since they're "in the box". The only thing your softsynths will use the Mbox for is monitoring.

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

BillW
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 305
    RE: Sonar 3 w/ MBox 2004/05/10 15:14:14 (permalink)
    I did some testing with a Sony VIAO and the M-Box. Be aware that ProTools LE uses PACE (or at least did last fall).

Bill
    rascalmanny
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 93
    RE: Sonar 3 w/ MBox 2004/05/10 16:08:55 (permalink)
    If I were you I would stay away from the Mbox and go for Sonar. You would have to get an interface of some sort if you don't have one already. That route might cost you more upfront but I think you will be happy in the long run.

Pro Tools requires certain chipsets on the motherboard in order to run correctly and if I remember the Dell laptops have had trouble. Check the Digi site for approved setups. Also check the DUC for all the trouble the Mbox can cause. Who knows, you may be one of the lucky ones that wouldn't have trouble with the Mbox.

With Sonar you don't have to worry about the chipset. You have a Dell, it's a PC platform, and your running Windows. No Problem. Plop in the Sonar CD and go. As I said before, you'll be happy with Sonar.
    Karl
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: Sonar 3 w/ MBox 2004/05/10 18:36:44 (permalink)
    When I was making my choice, I noticed in the fine print on Digidesign's website that you have to disable hyperthreading technology on any PC if you want to run ProTools. My laptop has it so I went with cakewalk and a TASCAM US122.
    rascalmanny
    • Total Posts : 93
    RE: Sonar 3 w/ MBox 2004/05/10 20:53:54 (permalink)
    Just saw this on the Digi forums:

My PT experience so far....

-Bought Mbox with PT5.3.3, seemed to have some cool features (AU$700 2nd hand)
    -Incompatible with pretty much every other app I use, had to upgrade to 6.1.1 (AU$75). Still remained fairly incompatible
    -Unbearable noise emitted, had to buy hum emliminator (AU$100 2nd hand)
    -Strange noises still being emitted, had to upgrade USB card (AU$40). Nothing much changed...
    -After several months of owning Mbox, finally started using PT
    -Pathetic performance, tirelessly screwed around with tweaks, settings etc
    -Found my motherboard had an incompatible integrated chip
    -Line drawn, Mbox back to ebay

I'm not posting this out of spite, I'm just posting incase it will assist in making Pro Tools a better product. I can see the advantages in having Digi hardware so picky about it the system its being run on, but I felt mislead by the Mbox since I wasn't aware of any of this at the time of purchase. AU$700 second hand was a reasonable price to get a great program with a portable interface, but had I realised I would have to spend potentially hundreds more just to be able to use its most basic features I wouldn't have got it. Maybe I've just been unlucky? Anyway, without the DUC (which I think is fantastic btw) it would have been laughable to think I could have gotten the Mbox to work as much as I did (which was still less than tolerable as explained).

Incidentally, I just purchased an RME card and Nuendo. Runs like a dream on a system that couldn't simultaneously record two tracks for more than 5 mintues with PT...But if I did persist in perfecting my PT system, would the RME/Nuendo setup match it? Who knows, but I won't be spending anymore more time or money to find out.
    Nate
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 726
    RE: Sonar 3 w/ MBox 2004/05/10 21:47:26 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: rascalmanny
    Just saw this on the Digi forums:

My PT experience so far....

I have used M-Box without issues for about a year now. I think the guy that posted was either trolling or inept. M-Box is rather simple to operate...well I should clarify that M-box was easy for me to operate.

Incidentally, I just purchased an RME card and Nuendo. Runs like a dream on a system that couldn't simultaneously record two tracks for more than 5 mintues with PT...But if I did persist in perfecting my PT system, would the RME/Nuendo setup match it? Who knows, but I won't be spending anymore more time or money to find out.

If this is the previous Digi poster, then it speaks volumes about the abilities and mindset. You have to take negative comments, in particular ones like the previous posting, with a large grain of salt. Bad news always get broadcasted the loudest and not the clearest.
    jeffca
    • Total Posts : 75
    RE: Sonar 3 w/ MBox 2004/05/11 10:18:24 (permalink)
    For what its worth the Mbox Should work..you will have to download ASIO drivers from digidesign website so you can use it with Sonar...also be aware that since it is USB latency could be a problem... you never know until you try and see .I used mbox for quite a while with sonar on a pc finally upgraded to PCI card and it was the best decision so far. Hope this helps
    deltadreams
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: Sonar 3 w/ MBox 2004/05/11 12:20:19 (permalink)
    How did the Mbox work well for you on Sonar? Any problems? Could you bounce synth tracks without rerouting the physical outputs to inputs?

Could you use the mbox with other audio editing software?
    anton harris
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 860
    RE: Sonar 3 w/ MBox 2005/04/24 19:35:28 (permalink)
    I have used M-Box without issues for about a year now. I think the guy that posted was either trolling or inept. M-Box is rather simple to operate...well I should clarify that M-box was easy for me to operate.
    Hi Nate,I am working on my friends laptop.He runs an mbox with p.t l.e 6.7.I have installed sonar4 demo on it as he would like to see what it can do.I cant get s4 to 'see' mbox.I gave downloaded and inst the asio 6.1 driver from digi and still no go.I opened device manager and see a yellow flag next to multimedia device."this device has no drivers installed"P.t works fine tho???

A computer,
    a drumkit,
    a voice,
    a little little bit of talent,
    www.myspace.com/antzmalandluke

Hitman
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 266
    RE: Sonar 3 w/ MBox 2005/04/24 21:13:11 (permalink)
    i would check with the store i buy it from and see if its a return policy,if so buy it,try it if it fails return it and try something else!

just my 2 cent. good luck

Gigabyte GA-EP35-SL3
    Core 2 duo E8500
    4 GIGS OF RAM
    Tascam FW-1884
    Sonar 8.5pe
    Reason 4
    Roland XP-60

And they said i couldnt do it...
    Jim Wright
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1218
    RE: Sonar 3 w/ MBox 2005/04/24 22:08:08 (permalink)
    I have an MBox, but mostly use it with PT LE for live recording.
    Cakewalk added ASIO support specifically for Digi products (including MBox) in a Sonar 3 point release. Just make sure to apply the appropriate Sonar update, and get current drivers from Digi.

I'm quite pleased with the audio quality of the MBox (very nice mic pres - but then, I've never used a high-end mic pre).
    It has some quirks: occasionally, I get very bad stuttering/static (clock out of sync?) when I plug in the MBox before launching PT LE. My workaround is to first start PT LE, and only connect the MBox when prompted. That seems to fix the problem, but I always listen to the 'mix output' stream before I hit Record, just in case.

Latency is quite audible. Since I use the MBox for live stereo recording, it's not an issue for me.
    If I was buying an interface now, I'd look at a Firewire product (or possibly the Edirol UA-1000, which is USB2).
    M-Audio has a number of nice products; the Presonus Firebox (with 4 simultaneous analog ins) looks promising, and is very small, and the Tascam 1804 (4 mic pres, ADAT I/O, 2x4 MIDI ports) is also attractive, though a bit large (2-space rackmount). As always, check for driver issues before you buy.

Good hunting,

Jim
    anton harris
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 860
    RE: Sonar 3 w/ MBox 2005/06/04 22:05:19 (permalink)
    Hi Jim,could i ask what sort of buffer size you found most comfortable when running your mbox?
    My friend had his set 512(asio control panel) and is still getting pos etc,Best,Antz

A computer,
    a drumkit,
    a voice,
    a little little bit of talent,
    www.myspace.com/antzmalandluke

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1