Sonar 4 and Windows Vista, Did I Mess Up??

Author
homebase
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 35
2007/06/14 10:35:54 (permalink)

Sonar 4 and Windows Vista, Did I Mess Up??

Was running Sonar 4 Studio on an old XP machine and for the most part it was stable. Had some usb issues with an interface but eventually got the static bursts eliminated.

Had to get a new computer and hardware wise it is a vast improvement but enter Windows Vista...

Will it install and run OK???
post edited by homebase - 2007/06/14 11:08:04

10 Replies Related Threads

homebase
    • Total Posts : 35
    RE: Sonar 4 and Windows Vista, Did I Mess Up?? 2007/06/14 11:30:01 (permalink)
    Just found the musicians reference page with the Vista info and it looks like Sonar 4 is not supported.

As I am just a hobby/home musician it looks like Home Studio XL would be an alternative. Any suggestions??
    mosspa
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 818
    RE: Sonar 4 and Windows Vista, Did I Mess Up?? 2007/06/14 11:38:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: homebase

Was running Sonar 4 Studio on an old XP machine and for the most part it was stable. Had some usb issues with an interface but eventually got the static bursts eliminated.

Had to get a new computer and hardware wise it is a vast improvement but enter Windows Vista...

Will it install and run OK???

I would tend to doubt it will run reliably. SONAR 4 would have been coded in 2004 and I don't think there was a definitive Vista SDK at that time.

John

AsRock Taichi 399, AMD Threadripper 1950x  O.C. 4.0GHz. 64GB DDR4-3200, Win 10 Pro,  Focusrite Scarlet 18i 20/Scarlet Octo Pre.  Frontier Design Apache ADAT routing, MOTU MTP MIDI Routing
    smoddelm
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 447
    RE: Sonar 4 and Windows Vista, Did I Mess Up?? 2007/06/14 11:57:32 (permalink)
    Run in XP compatibility mode?
    LionSound
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3616
    RE: Sonar 4 and Windows Vista, Did I Mess Up?? 2007/06/14 15:31:36 (permalink)
    In Vista simply disable UAC and you should be good to go. Also, run the program as an Admin.

www.soundclick.com/lionsound

FirstStrike 1.2 IS RELEASED! www.fsmod.com
    Antler
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 487
    RE: Sonar 4 and Windows Vista, Did I Mess Up?? 2007/06/15 08:59:35 (permalink)
    I've run Sonar 3 in Vista before without noticing any problems. I didn't use it extensively though.
    axcelson
    • Total Posts : 42
    RE: Sonar 4 and Windows Vista, Did I Mess Up?? 2007/06/15 12:13:30 (permalink)
    I'm confused: Doesn't Vista support backward compatibility with older programs/drivers by miming XP? I was about to install Vista on my laptop (it came with a free upgrade to Vista), which now runs S5P through an M-Audio interface. Neither Sonar5 nor the M-Audio interface is compatible with Vista, but I thought that I could use them anyway by asking Vista to pretend it's XP.

Am I wrong? It is really true that anything not specifically written for Vista will not work once Vista is installed? This seems odd--it certainly wasn't the case when XP was originally rolled out.

Can someone enlighten me on this matter?

Thanks

Jersey Jack
    Antler
    RE: Sonar 4 and Windows Vista, Did I Mess Up?? 2007/06/16 08:16:25 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: axcelson

I'm confused: Doesn't Vista support backward compatibility with older programs/drivers by miming XP? I was about to install Vista on my laptop (it came with a free upgrade to Vista), which now runs S5P through an M-Audio interface. Neither Sonar5 nor the M-Audio interface is compatible with Vista, but I thought that I could use them anyway by asking Vista to pretend it's XP.

Am I wrong? It is really true that anything not specifically written for Vista will not work once Vista is installed? This seems odd--it certainly wasn't the case when XP was originally rolled out.

Can someone enlighten me on this matter?

Thanks

Most things written for xp will run under vista even without compatibility mode - the exception is the really low-level driver stuff, like well... drivers. CD writing software also probably won't work, because of xp/vista specifics.

However, stuff like office/graphics software and such will most likely run. Sonar will most probably run as well, as I guess that the low-level stuff is dependant on having a driver from the equipment manufacturer - so if your hardware has a vista driver, it will probably work. Of course, there are exception to every rule.

Anyway the thing I'd suggest is try it - the worst thing you'll find out is that it doesn't work.

PS. I've heard that at the moment, latency is a little higher on vista - but that should iron itself out when more/better drivers come out; this will certainly happen over time.
    post edited by Antler - 2007/06/16 08:22:00
    Antler
    RE: Sonar 4 and Windows Vista, Did I Mess Up?? 2007/06/16 08:21:00 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Antler

I've run Sonar 3 in Vista before without noticing any problems. I didn't use it extensively though.

Forgot to mention a problem - the eq plot stays lit up in the console view whether or not the eq is on. It's purely a visual issue though.
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Sonar 4 and Windows Vista, Did I Mess Up?? 2007/06/16 08:51:48 (permalink)
    Soanr 5 is compatable with vista. its M-audio thats not, or you didnt even check to see if they have vista drivers available. Dont go around making false statements about sonar and its compatability with vista, until you know your facts. someone will read this and will get the wrong idea axcelson.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    defogger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Sonar 4 and Windows Vista, Did I Mess Up?? 2008/06/06 12:43:41 (permalink)
    OK,for what its worth,I got Sonar 4 to work in Vista,with alot of trial and error.A friend of mine gave me their copy because they couldnt get it to work in Vista either.I figured I'd give this a shot on my machine,if it worked,hey,I got a nice piece of software for nothing.
    On to the setup.After installing on my machine,the first thing I did was right click on the desktop shortcut.Then go to Properties-click the compatibility tab.In the tab,select the box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for".Default is Windows XP(service pack 2),and that is exactly what we want,so dont change a thing.Look down at the bottom of the same tab,in the privlege area,and select "run this program as administrator". Now you should have no problem what so ever opening up Sonar.What works even better is to turn off UAC warnings in Vista so you dont get all those annoying warnings about doing stuff you want to do and Vista doesnt want you to..lol Now after opening sonar,I discovered my spacebar wouldnt move or do anything,thats because for some reason,Sonar and Vista didn't get along.After opening Sonar,go to the options tab and click on it. go to audio.The first thing that helped me atleast,was going to the advanced tab and changing the driver mode to MME(32bit).Make sure,whenever you change a setting in audio options,you have a little piece of scrap paper to write down what you've changed,so if things still dont work,you can change things back.After I set the MME(32bit) I rebooted,but sonar still didn't find my onboard audio,but it did get profiled,go figure.Go back to options-Audio-Go to the General tab and look to see if your card is set in the playback timing master.Hopefully you have a dropdown list that has your sound device listed in it.Just select your card and reboot.Upon reboot sonar should successfully profile your card and have you running atleast the audio side of things,I don't use midi so I can't help you with that.I hope these little steps that worked for me help you all out.Vista can be a pain when it comes to old programs you love.Happy jamming to all!!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1