Sonar 6 Feature Request

Author
wwwill
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 207
2005/10/17 14:24:51 (permalink)

Sonar 6 Feature Request

Is it too early to start requests for Sonar 6. I know I haven't tried 5 out yet and things sound great, but I there are some things I see missing that I want to put on Cakewalk's mind before the next version is developed. You know cakewalk has to be looking towards Sonar 6 if it will be realeased in about 12 months. Of course the next major release will be Project 5 v3, Dimension Pro and any other projects so there are other priorities.

I mentioned in another thread somewhere that I think Cake will guide Sonar to more of a "mixer/recorder/effects with MIDI tracks" product and direct Project 5 to the "(step) sequencer/loop/pattern recorder with instruments" audience. That sounds like the position I see, but who am I? That would be fine with me; I'll probably get Project 5 when it gets the "Order now, upgrade free" route. In any event I could forsee doing a lot of tracking with instruments in one app/mode(32-bit XP) for compatibility to plugins, recording environment, etc. and mixing in another app/mode (64-bit XP/2003 Server/Longhorn/Vista) for performance and clean signal quality. Stronger mixing tools will cause me to stop looking at things like Samplitude as a mixing solution.

I just sent the following message to the Cakewalk contact page. I originally tried the Feature Request page but got an error.

I tried submitting this through the Feature Request page (http://www.cakewalk.com/support/FeatureRequest.asp)andgot an error.
As a Sonar 4 user I am interested in 5 but I am really looking forward to seeing these things in Sonar 6...

which I'm sure you guys are thinking about since there's no baseball distracting you. :(

Please don't take my last remark seriously, I am looking forward to using these features in Sonar.

AUTOMATION SETS
The ability to save and recall complete mix automation such as aux sends, volume or pan as a set.

RECORDABLE BUSSES
The ability to record(not bounce) submixes based on busses during playback. Better traditional mixer/record workflow enhancement. I may record 3 or 4 percussion submixes and choose.

VST MIDI/EFFECT SIDECHAIN
MIDI-generating, MIDI-controlled VSTs need to be usable natively without applicationd such as DirectiXer and energyXT. Dynamics sidechain implemetation like db-audioware.

CHANNEL STRIP
Leverage Roland and Voxengo(especially) and provide a KILLER channel strip plugin similar to Voxformer or Kjaerhus Gold Channel.(multi-EQ+Compression)

Naked Soul
Chicago House Music
www.nakedsoulchicago.com

29 Replies Related Threads

nexus
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Sonar 6 Feature Request 2005/10/17 16:05:26 (permalink)
    I have a request.

Would it be so hard for them to allow pasting options for midi notes like Cubase SX3 has, with it's "paste as origin" where you just select notes in the piano roll or in place editors and paste them at the EXACT location on whatever track you select automatically with ONE click?

This is such a great feature for orchestral composing/arranging by speeding things up.

Doesn't anybody find it more than a bit of a pain to keep positioning the NOW cursor so the notes line up? Sometimes in a heated midi-editing session I'll forget and have to do it over again.

Frankly I'm getting fed up with SONAR. The midi editing is still somewhat primitive compared to Cubase or Logic. My old Atari OMEGA sequencer runs circles around SONAR's for easy and quick midi editing.

Yet, there are so many great features to SONAR and better performance than Cubase.

I guess serious midi editing is of little concern for the dance music-orientation that Cakewalk sees for SONAR.

AS regarding moving P5 towards midi and SONAR towards an ACID-like product...BIG mistake.

Well I'll start looking at Cubase if that happens....
    post edited by nexus - 2005/10/17 16:18:37
    thunderkyss
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1207
    RE: Sonar 6 Feature Request 2005/10/17 16:17:31 (permalink)
    Of course, I'd like to be able to arm and unarm tracks during looping and playback.

I'd also like to see faceplates for my Roland instruments, so I can save their settings, new patches(that don't exist in the machine) in my projects, as if they were VSTi's.

Infinite5ths
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3631
    RE: Sonar 6 Feature Request 2005/10/17 17:00:59 (permalink)
    Fix the Mute Tool. [My apologies to those who've been following my Mute Tool Bug related threads -- I couldn't resist saying something here. :-)]
    --
    Mike
    tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: Sonar 6 Feature Request 2005/10/17 17:01:24 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: nexus
    Would it be so hard for them to allow pasting options for midi notes like Cubase SX3 has, with it's "paste as origin" where you just select notes in the piano roll or in place editors and paste them at the EXACT location on whatever track you select automatically with ONE click?

As a workaround, select the notes in the track view, and ctrl-shift-drag them to your new track. The 'shift' modifier locks the clip in time.
    SONARtist
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Sonar 6 Feature Request 2005/10/17 17:34:16 (permalink)
    I probably got a few others, but I cannot understand why in heaven's name the Big Time does not start up in the last saved format/config. I use SMPTE mostly, not Bars & Beats etc.
    It's only a mouse click I know, but it's a real easy fix and I don't understand why it hasn't been done by the Cakewalk guys.
    HammerHead
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1403
    RE: Sonar 6 Feature Request 2005/10/17 17:37:10 (permalink)
    Sonar 6 Feature Request

LO-FRIGGIN-L

you guys crack me up
    SONARtist
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Sonar 6 Feature Request 2005/10/17 17:55:38 (permalink)
    3563 vs 7 = you win !
    attalus
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1687
    RE: Sonar 6 Feature Request 2005/10/17 18:32:20 (permalink)
    i'd like to see Sonar be extended to a Mastering program like samplitude.To rip from and burn directly to cd from Sonar would be great, aswell as do pq coding,cd text etc With it's 64bit engine it would be a powerful mastering tool. Then i could throw cdarchitect right where it belongs, in the garbage!

PS also batch conversion
    cram1960
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 149
    RE: Sonar 6 Feature Request 2005/10/17 18:33:56 (permalink)
    I'd like to see:

1. a "loop selected measures x- times then move on" setting

2. I'd like to type the chord name and have the notation for it entered in staff mode
    (which could be done with drop down lists for chord and inversion)

3. I'd like to be able to resize the softsynths/plugin window without losing content (probably not a SONAR issue
    elle
    • Total Posts : 139
    RE: Sonar 6 Feature Request 2005/10/17 20:08:42 (permalink)
    I'd like to have:
    1. Remove Track/Bus differences, i.e.:
    - set output of audio track to another audio track input,
    - select multiple buses (like tracks) - if I need to delete 3 buses I have to do it individually - too unnatural
    - sidechaing
    - remove (or have an option to do this) the track/bus section divider. I'm tired of having Groups, Auxes and Master Buses in 1 place, and other tracks in another. Why can't I move Group to the track section - that would be much more comfortable for me
    2. Improve track folders - it's silly that nested folders aren't supported. For instance I put all the synths outputs in a folder A. Then put FOlder A and the corresponding MIDI track into folder B (great for multioutput synths).
    1+2: It would be VERY cool to have a folder for "Aux Buses' or 'Groups'.
    3. Improve Freeze:
    - add a ReFreeze option (in case you change something it's so long and annoying to unfreeze and freeze again). It would be especially cool if the refreeze will only recalculate the changes (the interval before the change, the change and the interval after change - to crossfide the changes for the smooth sound)
    4. Improve VST support:
    - GUI (resizing) problems
    - VST MIDI FX and VST MIDI Output for some VSTi's
    - Multi-Rename tool (tired of pressing Properties each time for each plugin from the pack/bundle to add its Developer name or Category in case needed)
    5. Add track built-in Spectrum/Phase Analyzer (and an offline version as well) with all that metering stuff (See Waves PAZ/Elemental Audio Inspector XL)
    6. Improve Surround support for soft synths (NI Absynth 3, Reaktor 5, Kontakt 2 etc don't produce 6-channel output even if they configured properly and the DXi Audio Track Ouput is set to 6-channel Surround Bus).
    7. Improve Tempo-Synced Automation curves - we want the period of the wave to be MORE than 2 measures.
    8 Somethin else?
    nexus
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Sonar 6 Feature Request 2005/10/18 16:05:12 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: tarsier

ORIGINAL: nexus

As a workaround, select the notes in the track view, and ctrl-shift-drag them to your new track. The 'shift' modifier locks the clip in time.

Thanks for the suggestion but I have tried this. It's only good when you want a whole continuous block of notes copied, but I like to pick out lines from a full piano part which are non-contiguous and build an orchestration that way. For orchestral music, this is the fastest way for me to orchestrate (and film composer Rupert Gregson-Williams too it seems, thats why he uses Cubase I guess).

I am surprised that others are not annoyed with SONAR's NOW time marker method of midi editing which remains somewhat primitive....
    Dude
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 458
    RE: Sonar 6 Feature Request 2005/10/18 19:08:45 (permalink)
    - BeatDetective kind of application/option

- "Import from session" function

- Be able to name audio card inputs/outputs

- Sidechain compressor

Dude
    BigDtheeAbmnble
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Sonar 6 Feature Request 2005/12/03 11:48:49 (permalink)
    ID LIKE TO SEE THE NEXT VERSION AN "HD VERSION" WITH A DSP ACCELERATE CARD.IMAGINE THAT...........SONAR 6 HD.......THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS......IT WOULD PUT DIGIDESIGN OUT OF BUISNESS.....................CUZ IN REALITY SONAR HAS A MORE USER FRIENDLY LAYOUT AND TOOLS.......................
    ooblecaboodle
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2102
    RE: Sonar 6 Feature Request 2005/12/03 12:59:56 (permalink)
    i'd like to see Sonar be extended to a Mastering program like samplitude.To rip from and burn directly to cd from Sonar would be great, aswell as do pq coding,cd text etc With it's 64bit engine it would be a powerful mastering tool. Then i could throw cdarchitect right where it belongs, in the garbage!

Hell yeah!!!! I've been asking for this for a long time!!!

original: BigDtheeAbmmnble
    Be able to name audio card inputs/output

Yea, this is is practically a necessity.
    post edited by ooblecaboodle - 2005/12/03 13:00:55
    ooblecaboodle
    RE: Sonar 6 Feature Request 2005/12/03 13:02:56 (permalink)
    ID LIKE TO SEE THE NEXT VERSION AN "HD VERSION" WITH A DSP ACCELERATE CARD.IMAGINE THAT...........SONAR 6 HD.......THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS......IT WOULD PUT DIGIDESIGN OUT OF BUISNESS.....................CUZ IN REALITY SONAR HAS A MORE USER FRIENDLY LAYOUT AND TOOLS.......................

That's just stupid.

Cakewalk already is HD (High def), if your machine can hanndle it. If you mean being able to use protools TDM plugins on Digidesign DSP farms from within Sonar, then hell yeah, i totally agree with that.
    Tonmann
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 661
    RE: Sonar 6 Feature Request 2005/12/03 13:49:32 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: BigDtheeAbmnble

AFAIK Digidesign has a *bunch* of valid US-patents for using (their) dedicated hardware and dsp-cards, so maybe that's the point why other leading companies like Twelfetone or Steinberg do not throw any product competing with Protools HD on the market...
    From my point of view it's *far* to easy to get patens for any stuff you want in the US, but that's another sad story...

cheers,
    Chris

...maybe I never realized the joy till the joy was gone...
    ooblecaboodle
    RE: Sonar 6 Feature Request 2005/12/03 15:18:26 (permalink)
    From my point of view it's *far* to easy to get patens for any stuff you want in the US, but that's another sad story...

Didn't Specialized mountain bikes gain a patent for putting a pivot on a full suspension MTB frame about 5 years ago? even though suspension frames OBVIOUSLY need a pivot just to function?
    alswefi_composer
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 96
    RE: Sonar 6 Feature Request 2005/12/19 19:47:02 (permalink)
    hi, i,m a composer from egypt ,i wish to make sonar the first host in the middle east and asian countries
    so our dreams in the next update is...(if some body can send it to them)
    1-warp time(stretching the tempo grid manually from any point to follow audio or midi events with the ability to snap to the nearest event).

2-draw tool(to draw audio events such as in soundforge,wavelab,cubase and many more

3-the loop construction view(for each slice enable gate,fade,quantize,snap,layring(to make copy,paste,replace,move and remove time or slice)).

4-multi channel loop synth.(can read the acidized files direct from sonar (not only the external rex files) and the ability to export the midi grooves to sonar midi tracks,and also the ability to copy, paste each key to the empty keys to add filters and amp. works for each key, e.g(attack,decay,pan,volume,pitch),and finally the ability to make effect inserts and sends for each channel with the automation.

hint some people prefare to work direct with loops while the others prefare to work with loops modules

5-micro tuner (a midi effect with many presets from the hole world to work with the modules have that abbility like steinberg modules (halion,hypersonic and many more)and try to make the others abble that.

6-general midi arranger(comes as one complex midi effect with many complet styles(intro,variations,fills and end) from the hole world, and the ability to make our styles from midi patterns or real time midi recording.
    this arranger comes with a separate drums and instrument sections channels can be activated,linked or not.
    this arranger should follow midi events in a midi track and the real time midi recordings with a lift hand changing
    style variations by midi keyboard keys,and the ability to hear the styles at stop mode.

7-some effects like vocoders have a midi output,some other hosts reads that automatically,but sonar vst adapter make that manually by enabling as dxi.

8-some vst modules and effects still make errors with the vst adapter and can,t read.

9-some vst modules (like groove agent,broomastick bass ) have input to midi tracks to make the track records their patterns,some other hosts reads that but sonar doesn,t.....!

10-the automation envelops doesn,t appear in the output audio track of a module if we open that module from the synth rack but when we open the module from an audio track insert ,the automations appears.why...?

11-real time audio input bus(to make sonar the best multitrack i have ever seen).

12-the event inspector if we changed the value of some event and if we add anoter events and pounce the midi clips the added events can,t take the same value unless when giving new value and return to the last.

thanks for your patient
    mostafa alswefi
    composer,computer and sound engineer
    EGYPT-CAIRO
    MOPILE\0020101866430
    www.alswefi_composer2006@yahoo.com
    flin
    • Total Posts : 147
    RE: Sonar 6 Feature Request 2005/12/19 20:06:55 (permalink)
    Please?????????????????????

Gigabyte I5 , Sonar x3 producer,RME FF400, , Events 20/20, Yamaha NS-10m studio. 

What?

alswefi_composer
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 96
    RE: Sonar 6 Feature Request 2005/12/19 22:53:47 (permalink)
    yes ,please
    jamester
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1481
    RE: Sonar 6 Feature Request 2005/12/20 00:52:18 (permalink)
    Now that I have my track folders and track presets, all I need is the pattern/step editor system that P5 has, and I probably won't need P5 anymore. Oh, and auto right-click erase for midi notes - also like P5 has.

Purrrfect Audio DAW built by Jim Roseberry
    Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
    Reaper, Live, Sound Forge, Pyro
    BLooDRuST
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: Sonar 6 Feature Request 2005/12/20 07:28:51 (permalink)
    Got to have a better Wave Editor, not the 'LOOP' editor, a really kickin full featured Wave Editor - please.

Why should we have to go into Sound Forge' ( i don't...) or Adobe (thinking about it because it used to be Cool Edit) to edit a wave file make no sense...

Sonar Six should have an impressive Wave Editor or else...
    post edited by BLooDRuST - 2005/12/20 14:21:09

Sonar 4.0.4 PE
    E-MU 1820M (Optical I/O)
    Kontakt 2.0.1.002
    WD 8M cache 7200 80G
    AMD 1.83mhz (Barton)
    Soyo Dragon KT400 Platinum
    1G Corsair XMS
    WindowBlinds 4.5
    nVidia GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
    XP Pro
    Roland VM-C7200 / VM-7200 w/ DIF-AT24
    steverispin
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 278
    RE: Sonar 6 Feature Request 2005/12/20 13:56:34 (permalink)

Second that!
    Also, how about TDM/HDaccel hardware support? DP and Logic users have had this for some time I believe....

Ain't no plant can outwit me! -Steve
    (despite all evidence to the contrary - Mrs Steve)
    stevec
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11546
    RE: Sonar 6 Feature Request 2005/12/20 14:17:03 (permalink)
    LO-FRIGGIN-L

Hehehe... I'd have to go with HH on this one. I'm reading all of these posts, and though I'm not a programmer, I'm trying to imagine what it would take to actually implement all of these requests. In the next version yet. Yeah...

It's the same thing (almost) every time one of these threads gets started - Everyone has something they just cannot live without. They'll jump ship if it's not included the next time around. Funny, Sonar's user-base just seems to keep getting bigger...

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

davidchristopher
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1360
    RE: Sonar 6 Feature Request 2005/12/20 14:54:54 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: steverispin

Second that!
    Also, how about TDM/HDaccel hardware support? DP and Logic users have had this for some time I believe....

I've also been asking for this. I have TDM hardware. I'll even upgrade to |HD if it means I can use Sonar 6 on it!

Cheers

David

David Bistolas
    www.bistolas.net
    Lay In Wait
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1764
    RE: Sonar 6 Feature Request 2005/12/20 22:41:55 (permalink)
    hi, i,m a composer from egypt ,i wish to make sonar the first host in the middle east and asian countries
    so our dreams in the next update is...(if some body can send it to them)

Thats funny! You asked a registered owner to do it for you in this post!http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=662693&mpage=1&key=ò¡²¥

Why cant you request them yourself? 1 could only guess!!!

edit- sorry bout the link! http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=662693&mpage=1&key=򡲥
    post edited by Lay In Wait - 2005/12/20 22:46:34

Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Core i7 920, Asus p6td deluxe, Sonar X1c PE, Motu 2408 mk3, Apogee Mini DAC, 3x UAD-1, Digimax FS, Motu Microlite, MCU, Tranzport, Nocturn. And more...
    jlgrimes
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1639
    RE: Sonar 6 Feature Request 2005/12/21 07:55:51 (permalink)
    AS regarding moving P5 towards midi and SONAR towards an ACID-like product...BIG mistake.

I 100% agree with you.

P5 has way too many limitations to take over Sonar's job as a dedicated sequencer. P5 would have to be totally revamped and even change it's workflow methods a bit to compete with other programs.

P5's limitations:

1. No midi out (this is a big one. Relying on a plug in to acheive this is a bad idea).

2. Poor keybinding support. (P5 is miles behind Sonar on this one).

3. Too much reliance on using the mouse to get things done.

4. No automatic arming of midi track option.

5. Heavy reliance on using the Quantize Mfx (which works poorly for some systems. Auto quantize would be a great alternative for this dilema).

6. No editing functions like clip muting and such.

7. Poor Zooming functionality.

8. No attempt to do notation whatsoever.

I'm not saying that P5 is a great program but for Sonar to want a great pattern sequencer they still must focus on fundamental features like the ones mentioned above.

If you eliminate pattern sequencing from the picture, Sonar's midi would run circles around Project 5.

P5 only does a few things better than Sonar:

1. Able to record different tracks (arming and unarming them without pressing stop).

2. Advanced arpegiattor

3. Slightly better step editor. Piano roll functionality a bit better (comparing to Sonar 5).

4. Groove Matrix.

5. Some people like that P5 synth tracks only consist of one track where Sonar's consist of one audio and one midi track.

If Sonar decided to let P5 take the midi load, I would jump ship immediately.
    tunekicker
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1261
    RE: Sonar 6 Feature Request 2005/12/22 00:52:27 (permalink)
    Elle,
    Wondering if you've seen these free plugs. Not built into Sonar, but quite helpful and CPU easy.

Spectral Analyzer= Voxengo SPAN (lots of other free plugs, too)

Voxengo Downloads

Spectral/Phase/Volume monitor= Inspector (installs two demos, too. Equim and Neodymium. Cool plugs, but I'm not looking to spend more money right now...)

Elemental Audio- Inspector FREE

Peace,

- Tunes
    Hansenhaus
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1866
    RE: Sonar 6 Feature Request 2005/12/22 04:46:01 (permalink)
    Hi,

I would like to see the addition of K-System metering. Especially on the master bus. Right now I use the RME Digicheck for the K-system.

Eric
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1