Sonar 8 Performance

Author
WeStudioS
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 141
2008/10/25 08:07:15 (permalink)

Sonar 8 Performance

Could anyone who upgraded from Sonar 7 to Sonar 8 tell me if they noticed a big improvement in how their DAW handles the application. I'm running XP with an intel board, 800mhz FSB, Core 2 duo 2,4 mhz, and 2Gig of DDR2. Also a GeForce 8600 PCIe with 512 Mb and 2 SATA 150G 7200RPM drives (fist drive for the OS and the second drive for audio files), with a Layla 3G interface. Since I upgraded from Sonar 6 Studio to Sonar 7 Producer the system is having trouble handling it, especialy when I have a V-Vocal clip up on the other monitor. The system is never on the net and all nonessential windows components are shut down. I am pondering whether I upgrade to Sonar 8 or buy a new DAW with a quad or two.

I hope I have this in the right forum as this is my first post.

Thanks all

12 Replies Related Threads

jb
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2020
    RE: Sonar 8 Performance 2008/10/25 08:24:48 (permalink)
    Come on man, you have enough 'puter to run a boatload of audio and softsynths with tons of fx. I'd look at undoing all those "tweaks" like getting rid of "non-essential" services. make sure my drives were on the the correct DMA mode, maybe look at the graphics performance and check the pci latency. No reason your system, properly set up, can't haul the freight, 7 simply isn't that much different than 6 and 8, while better than either , shows only about a 20% improvement over them. nothing to shake a stick at but not something that will fix an improperly set-up system.
    Simplify and troubleshoot what you have in a rational, systematized fashion and you'll get right.

Celeron 300A o/c 450, SBLive, Win98SE
    WeStudioS
    RE: Sonar 8 Performance 2008/10/25 08:46:56 (permalink)
    PCI latency is 64 and the DMA mode is set to auto. The floppy drive is disabled in the bios as I don't have a floppy drive. Also the onboard LAN and Audio as I use neither. In Windows I disabled Messenger and Outlook Express as well as error reporting as I am not on the net. I don't see how enabling any of these will improve my situation but I sure don't know everything. When I hit about 40% CPU the playback will start to stutter. At that point I have to start archiving tracks.

Thanks for responding
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Sonar 8 Performance 2008/10/25 18:21:33 (permalink)
    my sonar smokes at 4.9ms with 80tracks projects at like 15% cpu average on my CPU meters on sonar 8. with 7 i could not run that project at 4.9ms. Somethnig is wrong with your set-up or your project is huge.. I would try increasing your buffers/latency and try differnt driver modes, like ASIO or WDM and find the settigns that work for you. The same settings might not work.
    Try listing your sound card settings
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    millzy
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 890
    RE: Sonar 8 Performance 2008/10/25 18:45:06 (permalink)
    I have the same audio interface as you and a very similar daw setup and have no problems with vvocal. I can also run large projects with plenty of cpu grunt left in the tank, so as others have suggested i'd keep playing around with your settings because you shouldnt have an issue with your gear (unless as cj pointed out you've got some huuuuuge cpu intensive projects.) As far as performance in S8, the work that has been done for lower latency playback is awesome.

Millzy

i7 3770K, 16gb ram, Samsung EVO SSD, 2 x WD drives, RME Babyface, Win 10 (x64), Cakewalk by Bandlab, heaps of other stuff.
    Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    RE: Sonar 8 Performance 2008/10/25 18:48:44 (permalink)
    800 mhz fsb? I hope your talking about ram?

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    WeStudioS
    RE: Sonar 8 Performance 2008/10/25 19:54:37 (permalink)
    Thanks all for responding. Your responses have steered me to the second problem I have which is agravating the first problem. In an attempt to get my tracks to line up close to the "beat" I have to run very low latency 2.9msec by reducing the ASIO panel buffer to 256 samples. Here is the weird thing... the audio is out of sync to the left of the beat by exactly the reported latency 2.9msec. I established this by looping the audio metronome back in. Audio is always put on the track to soon. If I increase the ASIO panel buffer to 512 the track is out of sync to the left by eleven msec. If I change the manual offset to correct the misalignment it will move to the right only as far as the reported latency, after that it doesn't matter how high a number I put in the manual offset feild it will not align any farther to the right. This only happens with audio. I have to use the timing offset feild to line the MIDI up with the audio. I established this by looping back the MIDI click from Sonar to a sound module back to audio input. I have no problem moving MIDI before or after the beat. This is using ASIO. If I go with WDM my interface goes wild with lights flashing and making weird noises. It sounds and looks like it's about to blow. I will do ANYTHING for the guy who can figure this one out.

It is like the system is overcompensating for the reported latency. If I could increase my latency while getting my tracks to line up I could improve my first problem a great deal.

800mhz FSB (Front Side Bus) the main data pathway speed
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Sonar 8 Performance 2008/10/25 20:03:16 (permalink)
    This only happens with audio. I have to use the timing offset feild to line the MIDI up with the audio.

You should not have to be touching that offset. That a problem right there. To get you midi to line up, just play it in time or use snap to grid and drag it. dont mess with the latency offset. Its like your replacing the drywall, because your walls need painting.

Do this. Delete your aud.ini file and start sonar with your interface connected and on and let sonar build a new one.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    WeStudioS
    RE: Sonar 8 Performance 2008/10/25 20:08:17 (permalink)
    Already tried deleting INI file. If I don't adjust the timing offset my audio and midi will not line up. I have played drums for 30 years and I can hear the misalignment.

Thanks CJ
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Sonar 8 Performance 2008/10/25 20:11:17 (permalink)
    If I don't adjust the timing offset my audio and midi will not line up

This needs to be fixed. My stuff lines up and yours should also. Don't band aide this problem and find the source of it..
    Cj

Audio Blog
    WeStudioS
    RE: Sonar 8 Performance 2008/10/25 20:17:30 (permalink)
    That is a good description (bandaid) as I have spent a great deal of time trying to find the source of the problem but cannot find out why the audio is being thrown on the track sonner than it should. The bandaid fix allows me to still use the DAW to a certain extent otherwise it would be useless.
    MesaDCLP
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 80
    RE: Sonar 8 Performance 2008/10/25 23:20:48 (permalink)
    What ECHO driver version are you running and what are your settings in the console? ASIO never worked well or lined up correctly in 7 or 8 until I made some changes in the ECHO Console.

Try this:

In the settings window, the sample rate should be unlocked.
    Uncheck Synchronize wave devices.
    Under Settings-advanced, set the inputs and outputs you use with Sonar to PureWave.
    Using PureWave doesn't really have an effect on how Sonar uses the interface, but this hides the inputs and outputs from Windows.

Before making these changes, I experience similar issues using ASIO and I could only use WDM to get the loopback sample accurate. And even with WDM, the offset would change if I adjusted my latency. Talk about a PITA! After I made this adjustment and started using ASIO, using the reported ASIO latency renders an offset that is constant no matter what ASIO buffer setting I use. I put the constant in the manual offset field and things line up sample accurate. My system specs are similar, but I have a laptop. I'm using the Indigo IO with the 7.3 driver.

Hope this helps you, because it really helped my system line things up with ASIO. I'm running 8 now, and with the ASIO improvements in this version, this may have had something to do with it. I haven't gone back to 7 to see if ASIO runs better or not. I'm happy with 8.
    WeStudioS
    RE: Sonar 8 Performance 2008/10/26 09:25:28 (permalink)
    Thanks MesaDCLP!! Now that is some information I can work with. PITA= Pain In The A**??? Give me a day or so to try your ideas out to see if I can overcome it too. Thanks Dude. Check this thread out in a day or two and I'll let you know how I did. A thought I am having is that I may have downloaded a corrupt new driver for Layla and moving to S8 sounds like it would be a good move.

Thanks all and pray to the god of tech for me!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1