Sonar 8 Producer Driver Problem

Author
lechuck333
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2009/07/26 19:28:57 (permalink)

Sonar 8 Producer Driver Problem

I was using Sonar 8 PE on windows XP last week with no problems. But now, after some unrelated computer trouble, I decided to get a new computer, with vista.

Now, I can't record a damn thing. I keep getting a pop-up saying that my drivers don't support the audio format. And it lists these drivers:

Realtrek HD Audio rear output [WaveRT] 1/2
Realtrek HD Audio rear output [WaveRT] 3/4
Realtrek HD Audio rear output [WaveRT] 5/6
Realtrek HD Audio rear output [WaveRT] 7/8
Realtrek HD Digital input [WaveRT]

I try plugging straight into my computer with a stupid lightsnake usb, which actually worked fine on the other computer. I get nothing now. I also try plugging through a Boss ME-50 pedal (no settings other than volume on) to the mic input of my computer, which worked perfect before. Now, its too distorted to hear anything.

I don't know too much with computers, but I knew enough how to get quality music on Sonar 8 before. Now I got nothing.

Can someone please help. Thank you in advance.

6 Replies Related Threads

Rodar6
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 891
    Re:Sonar 8 Producer Driver Problem 2009/07/26 20:00:53 (permalink)
    Hey Lechuck,

It seems to me that you are using your computers onboard soundcard to record with. Your not going to like my suggestion as it involves spending some extra cash.

There are lots of soundcards out there but check out the Edirol UA-25. With external audio devices you get even better quality and virtually no problems.

There is a way of making your Realtec soundcard work with sonar, but I'd rather point you in a different direction.

Cheers

Rod

"Expert in novice advice"  

Sonar PE 8.5.1 (pre -5,6,7,8) - Logic Pro Studio 9.1.6 - Windows 7 32bit - Mac OSX Snow Leopard - MacBook Pro 13" i7Core 2.7GHz Sandy Bridge, 8Gb Ram, Intel 520 SSD - Edirol UA-25 - Blue Woodpecker Ribbon - Rode NT5 Condenser - Shure SM57 --- Fender 52 AVRI Telecaster LH - Ovation Special Balladeer LH.     
    lechuck333
    Re:Sonar 8 Producer Driver Problem 2009/07/26 20:33:09 (permalink)
    I appreciate the advice.

I know I'm going to get more gear such as the UA-25 or a similar product. I'm not being ignorant or anything (I'm just being a recording amateur) but is there a way of making the soundcard work, as a temporary solution.

I mean I'm young and I'm just starting out. I want to make sure I can get into it before spending thousands of dollars on it, if you know what I mean.
    Rodar6
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 891
    Re:Sonar 8 Producer Driver Problem 2009/07/26 20:52:21 (permalink)
    Hey Lechuck,

Off the top of my head I think that your soundcard runs at 16bit with a sample rate of 48. 48 is for DVD quality and 44.1 is CD quality, but I think your soundcard is set to 48. You can find the soundcards properties under "Control Panel" - "Sound" select your soundcard then tap "Properties"

You'll have to match these settings in Sonar. Go to "Options" - "Audio." Under these tabs you need to adjust the settings so that they match the sondcards' settings.

Enjoy

Rod

"Expert in novice advice"  

Sonar PE 8.5.1 (pre -5,6,7,8) - Logic Pro Studio 9.1.6 - Windows 7 32bit - Mac OSX Snow Leopard - MacBook Pro 13" i7Core 2.7GHz Sandy Bridge, 8Gb Ram, Intel 520 SSD - Edirol UA-25 - Blue Woodpecker Ribbon - Rode NT5 Condenser - Shure SM57 --- Fender 52 AVRI Telecaster LH - Ovation Special Balladeer LH.     
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Sonar 8 Producer Driver Problem 2009/07/26 20:59:30 (permalink)
    Rodar's right in saying you could do a whole lot better than a RealTek interface, which is pretty close to the bottom of the barrel as interfaces go.

However, you do not NEED to go out and buy a new interface. You should be able to use the RealTek without these problems.

The message you're getting may or may not be telling you the truth. Unfortunately, it's a message that can accompany many different problems that are unrelated to what formats the sound card can and cannot support.

First of all, do you have any sound out of your computer at all? Video games? Playing CDs via WMP?

If not, go to control panel and make sure the RealTek is enabled and selected as the default audio device.

If audio generally works but SONAR does not, switch to MME and see if you get audio. (It's also a good idea to verify that you're working at 44.1Khz and 24 bits; the RealTek may require a driver update to handle higher sample rates).

Let us know if that gets you going or not, and we'll offer suggestions as to what to do next.

EDIT: Oops, I re-read your post and realized your problem is with recording, not playback. Or am I reading that right?
    post edited by bitflipper - 2009/07/26 21:11:40

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    lechuck333
    Re:Sonar 8 Producer Driver Problem 2009/07/26 21:45:20 (permalink)
    I guess it's sort of both bitflipper.

I switched to MME and now I have audio (yippy). So thank you for solving my first problem.

However, now there's an awful lot of white noise with the recording, both at the start and throughout. There's a big problem.

(Accuse any lack of proper terms) at the start of my recording the wave line curves down and doesn't start flat. I have no clue what that means.
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:Sonar 8 Producer Driver Problem 2009/07/29 20:42:47 (permalink)
    However, now there's an awful lot of white noise with the recording, both at the start and throughout. There's a big problem.

Its probably form using the onboard sound chips inputs. sonar is only as good as its weakest link and that link is the onboard sound card. That said, check your signal chain and make sure its clean.

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1