Sonar 8.5 Producer: Best Method for Noise Reduction/Elimination

Author
Annabelle
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 143
2018/08/12 03:36:33 (permalink)

Sonar 8.5 Producer: Best Method for Noise Reduction/Elimination

I have these recordings I made with a device that I'm not sure what it's called. All I know is, I think it's a microphone or some kind of line-in device. What I know as far as specifications is that it has a 1/8-inch jack, like what you would find on a transistor radio pair of headphones on one end, and the other end has a circular or maybe sphere-shaped piece of plastic with a suction cup on the bottom. I put the 1/8-inch plug into a 1/4-inch adapter, then plug that into my audio interface, then I put the suction cup sphere side onto the back of my phone near the ear piece. However, when I record anything from my phone, I seem to hear this buzzing noise throughout the recording, like a mains hum. So this brings me to my question. Are there any good noise reduction plugins that would work with Sonar? Something that would allow me to remove the buzz and hum, without destroying the quality of the recording? Maybe something like Tone Boosters, which was recommended to me by one of the forum members when I was looking for a speaker simulator to make recordings sound like they were coming out of a clock radio. Though I'm not sure that's the same.

I Dream of Australia, France, and Canada, three wonderful nations that represent who I really am.

9 Replies Related Threads

James Argo
    • Total Posts : 114
    Re: Sonar 8.5 Producer: Best Method for Noise Reduction/Elimination 2018/08/12 08:59:59 (permalink)
    The best way I know to reduce constant recorded noises is not using plugin, but using audio editor instead. Since noise profiles may vary one another, it's almost impossible for the plugin to acurately tell which considered unwanted noise, which is not. In my personal experience, I use Adobe Audition or iZotope RX to deal with recorded noises (Both can be integrated into Sonar / CbB to appear on Utilities menu - or Tools menu in Sonar 8.5). You select the audio clip in Sonar, then click on Tools menu to access mentioned audio editor. It will automaticaly open the audio editor and edit the audio clip there. When reducing the noises, you need to tell the audio editor of the noises by "capturing the noise profile" of specific region that contain noises only. Once captured, you can aply the reduction to the whole clip.

Cakewalk by BandLab!
    msmcleod
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 920
    Re: Sonar 8.5 Producer: Best Method for Noise Reduction/Elimination 2018/08/12 09:04:14 (permalink)
    I get a similar thing when using my condenser mic with my VoicePrism plus.

It's pretty noticable during silence, but you can't hear it when I'm singing.

Using the Gater style-dial effect on the pro-channel (as the very first module) fixes it for me, although any noise gate would do.

Mark McLeod
    Cakewalk by BL | ASUS P8B75-V, Intel I5 3570 16GB RAM Win 10 64 + Win 7 64/32 SSD HD's, Scarlett 18i20 / 6i6 | ASUS ROG GL552VW 16GB RAM Win 10 64 SSD HD's, Scarlett 2i2 | Behringer Truth B2030A / Edirol MA-5A | Mackie MCU + C4 + XT | 2 x BCF2000, Korg NanoKontrol Studio
    azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: Sonar 8.5 Producer: Best Method for Noise Reduction/Elimination 2018/08/12 09:14:28 (permalink)
    You can try ReaFIR. It is a free plug-in from Cockos (REAPER developers): https://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/
    It should work in any DAW.

You can read how to use for noise reduction f.e. here: https://www.homebrewaudio.com/reafir-madness-hidden-noise-reduction-tool-in-reaper/

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    Annabelle
    Re: Sonar 8.5 Producer: Best Method for Noise Reduction/Elimination 2018/08/12 14:53:46 (permalink)
    azslow3
    You can try ReaFIR. It is a free plug-in from Cockos (REAPER developers): https://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/
    It should work in any DAW.

You can read how to use for noise reduction f.e. here: https://www.homebrewaudio.com/reafir-madness-hidden-noise-reduction-tool-in-reaper/

Does this plugin have an interface that is accessible to screenreaders like JAWS?

I Dream of Australia, France, and Canada, three wonderful nations that represent who I really am.
    azslow3
    Re: Sonar 8.5 Producer: Best Method for Noise Reduction/Elimination 2018/08/12 17:27:58 (permalink)
    Annabelle
    Does this plugin have an interface that is accessible to screenreaders like JAWS?

All controls required for automatic noise removal are accessible. Manual spectrum definition not.
    Note that I have checked under REAPER since I do not have Sonar 8.5.

There is Cockos related accessibility site: https://reaperaccessibility.com/index.php/Main_Page

RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    Annabelle
    Re: Sonar 8.5 Producer: Best Method for Noise Reduction/Elimination 2018/08/14 23:00:17 (permalink)
    I'm trying the plugin Reafir in Sonar, and unfortunately, the noise reduction literally makes my voice sound like it's under water! Another setting gave me nothing but silence, as if my voice disappeared. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

azslow3
    Re: Sonar 8.5 Producer: Best Method for Noise Reduction/Elimination 2018/08/15 07:46:26 (permalink)
    When you use it in subtract mode, by default it works as the noise elimination. Depending from the noise level, that can significantly change the signal as well, up to making it very bad.
    But before you move to other solutions, are you sure you have applied it correctly? You need to play a recording with noise only and automatic build profile option set. And then unset that option. If it was on even a part of a second when real signal was played, the plug-in will eliminate that signal from the whole recording.

Listen this video for expected results: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31phzT7pxkk
    I use it for speech without adjustments, but my noise level is low. In the tutorial, manual adjustment is demonstrated. Unfortunately, it is not accessible. But you can try to do the same. The graph is a big area under build profile option. So if you position mouse to that option and move it by hand a bit lower, it will be there. NVDA say "ReaFIR" when that area is reached after it was over the option. With ctrl pressed, click and drag up and down.

Alternatively, you can rise the track gain after building the profile. I think the effect should be similar.

Annabelle
    Re: Sonar 8.5 Producer: Best Method for Noise Reduction/Elimination 2018/08/16 01:33:10 (permalink)
    azslow3
    When you use it in subtract mode, by default it works as the noise elimination. Depending from the noise level, that can significantly change the signal as well, up to making it very bad.
    But before you move to other solutions, are you sure you have applied it correctly? You need to play a recording with noise only and automatic build profile option set. And then unset that option. If it was on even a part of a second when real signal was played, the plug-in will eliminate that signal from the whole recording.

Listen this video for expected results: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31phzT7pxkk
    I use it for speech without adjustments, but my noise level is low. In the tutorial, manual adjustment is demonstrated. Unfortunately, it is not accessible. But you can try to do the same. The graph is a big area under build profile option. So if you position mouse to that option and move it by hand a bit lower, it will be there. NVDA say "ReaFIR" when that area is reached after it was over the option. With ctrl pressed, click and drag up and down.

Alternatively, you can rise the track gain after building the profile. I think the effect should be similar.

The only problem is, I don't use a mouse. I use the JAWS cursor with keyboard commands. When I set the settings with the JAWS cursor in tanumber of configurations, including -150Db, all in Subtract mode, the sound of my voice is under the water.

azslow3
    Re: Sonar 8.5 Producer: Best Method for Noise Reduction/Elimination 2018/08/17 07:37:30 (permalink)
    I know that with some scripting it is possible to manipulate mouse in JAWS, but I am not an expert in that.
    Based on the tutorial linked before, do you think the plug-in can do what your want? If yes, I can try to ask a friend to make such script. But if you think the plug-in can not work in your situation, that make no big sense.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1