Sonar 8.5 Windows with Pro Tools in MAC

Author
snoluvr
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2010/02/11 12:13:03 (permalink)

Sonar 8.5 Windows with Pro Tools in MAC

Hi,

Big time novice here.  I have a MAC with WMWARE fusion so I can run Sonar in Windows.  I want to "rewire" Sonar so that it will talk to my Pro Tools (host) in Mac.  Is this do-able?  I like both programs, but I prefer to keep my Pro Tools in Mac simply because the stability of the system.

Please help if you can!

Thanks,
snoluvr

3 Replies Related Threads

jackn2mpu
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2737
    Re:Sonar 8.5 Windows with Pro Tools in MAC 2010/02/19 14:48:37 (permalink)
    You're talking a recipe for disaaster here. Running Sonar in an emulator like Vmware just adds another layer to the equation in terms of processing power sucked from the computer. You don't say what Mac you have - need more info. To tell the truth, I don't think it can be done - PT is a little strict on it's requirements. And which version of PT do you have? HD, LE or MBox? To be able to use any other audio program with PT you need to run through the Core Audio driver and how that would react to having to deal with the Vmware emulator and Windoze at the same time could give you more troubles than you'll want to deal with.

If you're such a novice, how is it you have both PT and Sonar at the same time?

You may also want to ask this question over in the DUC.

Jack

slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3540
    Re:Sonar 8.5 Windows with Pro Tools in MAC 2010/02/19 15:54:17 (permalink)
    Rewire?
    Even if you could do that, why would you?
    Would you buy a Porsche and a Lamborghini and try to drive them at the same time?
    If you have a Mac, master the software that runs on your machine. If you have exhausted its potential after spending a few hundred hours learning how to use it, then switch or add a second DAW to fill in the gaps. Even then it doesn't make sense to try to run both on the same project at the same time.

jackn2mpu
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2737
    Re:Sonar 8.5 Windows with Pro Tools in MAC 2010/02/19 17:51:31 (permalink)
    To the OP - check out this thread on the DUC:
    http://duc.digidesign.com...ight=rewire&page=1

Jack

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1