Sonar 8.5 instrument

Author
Musicpump
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2010/07/21 12:07:15 (permalink)

Sonar 8.5 instrument

How do you hook up your key board in order to play the instruments in Sonar?
My key board is hooked up to the P.C. and I hear it thru the speakers but I want to use the key board to use the many instruments.

3 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Sonar 8.5 instrument 2010/07/21 16:22:51 (permalink)
    Not really clear here what you want to do.  Do you have a (musical) keyboard that you want to listen to SONAR from?  If that is the case you'll have to take a line out from your soundcard/interface and plug it into your keyboard's line input.  If you are using your built-in soundcard it is likely to have only one set of outputs, so you'll lose your speakers.  You may be able to jury rig a headphone output, but that would be sub-prime.

Your best bet is to buy a real musical interface, something like m-audio etc. at less than $100 and use that with a real monitoring system - even a home system will have better sound than your computer speakers or even most keyboard speakers (unless you have a leslie).

Probably you need to ask this in SOnar's beginners forum.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    thomasabarnes
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3234
    Re:Sonar 8.5 instrument 2010/07/22 00:36:49 (permalink)
    I think I know what he wants to do.

What is the exact model of your keyboard? To use your keyboard to play the software synthesizers in SONAR, you will need a MIDI Out port on your keyboard.

Many keyboards have a port on the rear that is called MIDI Out. Some also have MIDI In and MIDI thru ports on the rear.

You will have to have a MIDI interface with a MIDI In on it, so you can connect your keyboard to the MIDI interface using a standard MIDI cable. There are some OK Audio/MIDI interfaces you can get for $100-$200, such as a M-Audio Delta 1010LT which you maybe can find at Guitar Center or at an online store such as Musican's Friend.

Using the MIDI cable (which you can get at Guitar Center or maybe even Radio Shack, now Called The Shack), you connect your keyboard to the audio/MIDI interface, and the audio/MIDI interface is installed in a PCI slot in your computer, or some are connected to the computer by firewire or USB ports, or installed in a PCIe slot in your computer, depending on what type of audio/MIDI interface it is. You then setup SONAR to use the MIDI In of your audio/MIDI interface, and load a softsynth to play it using your keyboard.

For more detailed help with connecting your keyboard to the computer, see the SONAR Help Topics at the top left hand corner in SONAR under Help, and search for MIDI Connections. Also see the Getting Started section in the SONAR Help and view Tutorial 8--Using Soft Synths.
    post edited by thomasabarnes - 2010/07/22 00:46:47

"It's not a song till it touches your heart. It's not a song till it tears you apart!" Lyrics of Amy Grant.

SONAR Platinum X64 (jBridge), Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Core i7 990X Extreme Edition Processor 3.46 GHz 6 Cores, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Crucial Ballistix 24GB 1333MHz DDR3 @1333 MHz, TASCAM UH-7000, Behringer X-Touch, EVGA GTX 980TI Superclocked 6GB, 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD, 150GB, 320GB, 1TB 7200rpm HDDs
    Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re:Sonar 8.5 instrument 2010/07/22 01:32:51 (permalink)
    Some keyboards also have a built in USB midi interface. The cheap Yahama XG home keyboard I use when I am in Dubai for sketching out ideas has a USB interface.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1