Sonar 8se....Dropouts etc... Diagnosed

Author
mrfitz
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 216
2008/10/20 16:09:51 (permalink)

Sonar 8se....Dropouts etc... Diagnosed

Geez...

I've tried duplicating all my settings from 6.2.1pe, I've uninstalled and reinstalled all my drivers (e-mu asio, current version), I've deleted every aud.ini on my system, but I still cannot get through 1 record take without getting a dropout/audio stopped. There are no cpu spikes, no disk spikes, in fact, when I get the dropout the cpus drop to 0%.

Fortunately 6.2.1pe still works fine (on the same box). It boggles my mind that the same audio driver settings I've been using for 2 years with sonar 6 won't work with 8. Has there been that many changes?

It's a little disappointing that I read all these reports of better performance (which is probably the major reason I bit the bullet) only to find that it's going to be a major project just to get it to run properly.

post edited by mrfitz - 2008/10/24 12:03:26

Sonar X1c pe x64
Sonar VS-100
phenom 9600 x4
Win 7 x64 Home Prem
4 gigabytes ram
a homebrew champ
and a telecaster

10 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Sonar 8se....Dropouts etc... 2008/10/20 16:23:43 (permalink)
    I've tried duplicating all my settings from 6.2.1pe, I've uninstalled and reinstalled all my drivers (e-mu asio, current version), I've deleted every aud.ini on my system, but I still cannot get through 1 record take without getting a dropout/audio stopped. There are no cpu spikes, no disk spikes, in fact, when I get the dropout the cpus drop to 0%.

Its a different version, so you MAY need different settigns.
    After you updated to sonar 8, did you re-profile your sound card?? why dont you try it and then after it reprofiles your sound card, tweak the settigns. dont worry about what worked in sonar 6. worry about sonar 8
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    mrfitz
    RE: Sonar 8se....Dropouts etc... 2008/10/20 17:35:54 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: CJaysMusic

Its a different version, so you MAY need different settigns.
    After you updated to sonar 8, did you re-profile your sound card?? why dont you try it and then after it reprofiles your sound card, tweak the settigns. dont worry about what worked in sonar 6. worry about sonar 8
    Cj

Humm, a little quick to write and slow to read maybe?

So if deleting aud.ini isn't re profiling the sound card what is?

Sonar X1c pe x64
    Sonar VS-100
    phenom 9600 x4
    Win 7 x64 Home Prem
    4 gigabytes ram
    a homebrew champ
    and a telecaster

jb
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2020
    RE: Sonar 8se....Dropouts etc... 2008/10/20 17:39:28 (permalink)

Profiling the audio card?

Celeron 300A o/c 450, SBLive, Win98SE
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Sonar 8se....Dropouts etc... 2008/10/20 17:40:36 (permalink)

Humm, a little quick to write and slow to read maybe?

Maybe your just a bit slow.
    Deleting the aud.ini file is exactly what it is. yuo delete it and let sonar buls another one.
    Re-profiling your sound card is done by clcicking the wave profiler. 2 different things. Are you done being a smart ARs???
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    mrfitz
    RE: Sonar 8se....Dropouts etc... 2008/10/20 17:44:46 (permalink)
    So the sound card profile is not written to the aud.ini? Where is it saved to?

Maybe I've misunderstood this all along. I thought sonar wrote the sound cards profile to the aud.ini, and if the aud.ini was not present it would reprofile. Like on first run.

Just curious....
    post edited by mrfitz - 2008/10/20 17:49:33

Sonar X1c pe x64
    Sonar VS-100
    phenom 9600 x4
    Win 7 x64 Home Prem
    4 gigabytes ram
    a homebrew champ
    and a telecaster

CJaysMusic
    RE: Sonar 8se....Dropouts etc... 2008/10/20 17:49:57 (permalink)
    Its written into the aud.ini file. This is my thopught on updating. for me, i always reprofile, even if im using ASIO driver mode. I also at times delete my aud.ini file. I delete that monthly. This has worked for me for a couple of years now.
    If you delete your aud.ini file, the next time you start sonar, it will reprofile your card automatically.
    Cj

Audio Blog
    losguy
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5506
    RE: Sonar 8se....Dropouts etc... 2008/10/20 18:08:51 (permalink)
    Not sure about S8, but in older versions, re-profiling through the Options > Audio GUI button would change settings related to the active card(s), and leave other stuff in the file alone. Deleting the aud.ini file will not only refresh it for the cards you currntly have, but it will clear out any junk for cards that you no longer have.

Psalm 30:12
    All pure waves converge at the Origin
    mrfitz
    RE: Sonar 8se....Dropouts etc... 2008/10/24 12:04:37 (permalink)
    Well...so much for the whole audio settings thing.

Turns out it is some kind of problem with session drummer 2 (and maybe others, but that one for sure). I can create a project with one audio track and session drummer 2, it the sd2 interface is open while recording I get dropouts, if it's closed I can record all day long. Never had that happen in 6pe....

Well, at least I can use it now.

Now if track layers would behave....

Sonar X1c pe x64
    Sonar VS-100
    phenom 9600 x4
    Win 7 x64 Home Prem
    4 gigabytes ram
    a homebrew champ
    and a telecaster

Dave Modisette
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: Sonar 8se....Dropouts etc... 2008/10/24 14:49:26 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mrfitz

Well...so much for the whole audio settings thing.

Turns out it is some kind of problem with session drummer 2 (and maybe others, but that one for sure). I can create a project with one audio track and session drummer 2, it the sd2 interface is open while recording I get dropouts, if it's closed I can record all day long. Never had that happen in 6pe....

Well, at least I can use it now.

Now if track layers would behave....
    I don't know for sure if this will help but have you tried turning X-ray off? X-ray caused pops and ticks for me when I had the Studio Instruments interface open. Turning it off fixed the problem.
    post edited by Mod Bod - 2008/10/24 15:07:56

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    mrfitz
    RE: Sonar 8se....Dropouts etc... 2008/10/24 15:39:54 (permalink)

I don't know for sure if this will help but have you tried turning X-ray off? X-ray caused pops and ticks for me when I had the Studio Instruments interface open. Turning it off fixed the problem.

That was one of the first things I turned off. Thanks though.

I was so happy to be able to record again that I haven't dug too deep to find the root cause other than closing sd2.

Sonar X1c pe x64
    Sonar VS-100
    phenom 9600 x4
    Win 7 x64 Home Prem
    4 gigabytes ram
    a homebrew champ
    and a telecaster

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1