Helpful ReplySonar Audio Dropouts (have searched the forum & pressed F1, still...) [FIXED]

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Duke_of_boom
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 35
2010/07/09 15:52:51 (permalink)

Sonar Audio Dropouts (have searched the forum & pressed F1, still...) [FIXED]

I am having a difficult time getting a smooth playback in Cakewalk. I've been using Sonar over the last 6 months and just recently have experienced these chronic dropouts on tracks that are significantly less complex than the older ones, which played back relatively hassle-free.

In the most recent instance, I have 3 audio tracks, 2 with Amplitube VST plugin, the other is a WAV drum loop. My CPU usage varies from 40-100% according to the CPU meter. Sometimes the red DROPOUT alert appears, other times the audio drops out without the red alert appearing. Sometimes playback pauses, other times it keeps playing but without audio. Still other times there is a crackling in the audio.

My computer is a t500 thinkpad running Sonar 8.02 Producer. Vista w/ 3 gigs RAM. CPU is a Core2 Duo at 2.26Ghz. Using ASIO drivers for a Tascam US122-L as my audio input/output source (latest drivers installed). I have experimented with Playback buffer from 16-1024k without success. I have experimented with WMD but there is too much latency that I cannot solve. I have pressed F1 and used the Help on Dropouts section, disabling background tasks & defragging the cakewalk file. I'm unable to change the mixing latency (area grayed out) perhaps due to ASIO drivers? 

This is really strange because, as I mentioned, these crazy dropouts only started happening recently in this simplistic project and when I reopened old projects.

Please help so the Duke of Boom can go on making music
post edited by Duke_of_boom - 2010/07/21 22:37:28
johnnyV
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2677
Re:Sonar Audio Dropouts (have searched the forum & pressed F1, still...) 2010/07/09 16:01:01 (permalink)
Did you try downloading dpclat meter? Try it and see if you still have some processes running that you might be unaware of, otherwise seems like you should not be having any issues. Your computer is 5 x faster than mine and it should run fine.

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
 Scarlett 6i6
Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

Duke_of_boom
Re:Sonar Audio Dropouts (have searched the forum & pressed F1, still...) 2010/07/09 16:44:18 (permalink)
I never heard of the "dpclat meter" and I don't see anything in google either. Where do I download it?
ba_midi
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14061
Re:Sonar Audio Dropouts (have searched the forum & pressed F1, still...) 2010/07/09 16:49:40 (permalink)
This is really strange because, as I mentioned, these crazy dropouts only started happening recently in this simplistic project and when I reopened old projects.

If you have wireless on the laptop, try turning that off when using Sonar or any other host/app like it.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
CJaysMusic
  • Total Posts : 30423
Re:Sonar Audio Dropouts (have searched the forum & pressed F1, still...) 2010/07/09 17:17:46 (permalink)

I'm unable to change the mixing latency (area grayed out) perhaps due to ASIO drivers? 

That's normal for ASIO. You change the ASIO buffers by clicking the ASIO tab and that takes you to your Tascams driver property page.

Playback buffer from 16-1024k without success.

That wont help you. Keep it at 128 or 256 and leave it. You need to raise your ASIO buffers by doing what I said above.
If your sound card is FW, you also need a TI FW chipset card in your pc
Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
Audio Blog
brundlefly
  • Total Posts : 14250
Re:Sonar Audio Dropouts (have searched the forum & pressed F1, still...) 2010/07/09 17:31:53 (permalink)
I never heard of the "dpclat meter" and I don't see anything in google either. Where do I download it?

dpclat is the name of the executable. The tool is more commonly known as DPC Latency Checker.

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

As CJay mentioned, there should be an "ASIO Panel" button below the grayed out buffer size slider that will take you to the ASIO buffer setting for your interface.
Duke_of_boom
Re:Sonar Audio Dropouts (have searched the forum & pressed F1, still...) 2010/07/09 20:49:39 (permalink)
OK, so I went ahead and opened the ASIO driver panel particular to the Tascam. There is no buffer adjuster, only a drop-down that says "low latency, lowest latency, normal, high latency, highest latency" I tried all settings, the "high latency" worked the best, but still facing drop outs and the like.

dpclat reads about 1000ms avg when running in the background.

Absolutely no bluetooth, wireless or other stuff running in the background, yet the Duke of Boom still faces lots of crackling and hissing and dropouts. Again very strange, because several weeks ago same computer, same settings, little problems.

Suggestions much appreciated.
chilldanny
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 830
Re:Sonar Audio Dropouts (have searched the forum & pressed F1, still...) 2010/07/09 20:54:44 (permalink)
Hmmm....have you installed any new vst's lately?
Often a dodgey plugin can cause mayhem!

* Windows10 (x64), Focusrite Safire Pro24, Sonar Platinum (x64) * MacOS High Sierra, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 9 *

Danny M
CJaysMusic
Re:Sonar Audio Dropouts (have searched the forum & pressed F1, still...) 2010/07/09 21:38:47 (permalink)

Again very strange, because several weeks ago same computer, same settings, little problems.

You do have windows automatic updates turned off, right?

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
Audio Blog
Duke_of_boom
Re:Sonar Audio Dropouts (have searched the forum & pressed F1, still...) 2010/07/09 22:06:29 (permalink)
OK, so yes the updates are turned off.

I DID install Ampitube 3 not too long ago (over Amplitube 2). I unintalled 3, rebooted the box, & still running into these dropouts. And I went into the Device manager, turned off WIFI, networking & modem, but to no avail.

Beginning to feel like I'm beating a dead horse.
ba_midi
Re:Sonar Audio Dropouts (have searched the forum & pressed F1, still...) 2010/07/09 22:23:48 (permalink)
Duke_of_boom

OK, so yes the updates are turned off.

I DID install Ampitube 3 not too long ago (over Amplitube 2). I unintalled 3, rebooted the box, & still running into these dropouts. And I went into the Device manager, turned off WIFI, networking & modem, but to no avail.

Beginning to feel like I'm beating a dead horse.

Make sure "Use Multiprocessing" is checked in Audio Options.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Duke_of_boom
Re:Sonar Audio Dropouts (have searched the forum & pressed F1, still...) 2010/07/18 00:13:49 (permalink)
Hey guys, I really appreciate all the help and feedback you've given. However, I'm unfortunately still having trouble. This is strange because as I mentioned a couple months ago, Sonar worked flawlessly without dropouts. I had to take a couple-month break because work increased, but now I'm back to making demos and can't get the DAW to work properly.

I tried to think of what was different between then-and-now:
1) I use an external monitor now (using my laptop's internal card). I tried disconnecting the monitor to use the laptop screen only but this had no effect.
2) I had installed Amplitube 3, but uninstalled it the other day - the dropouts are the same.
3 (now) I even uninstalled by Antivirus, but this had no effect
4 (now) In Device Mgr, I disable Bluetooth and wireless controllers. This has no effect.
5 DPCLAT meter registers 700-1100ms
6 I've adjusted latency to the highest to use the least CPU but this has no effect.
7 Use Multiprocessor is clicked, the MMC option is clicked as well (although when unchecked it has no effect)

The simple project I'm working on right now has 1 rhythm WAV loop with 3 guitars running amplitube VSTi. It works fine with 2 guitars, but as soon as that 3rd one is added, the dropouts occur, I'm unable to record. Freezing 1 of the prexisting tracks helps, but this is only a temporary solution and I've never used this historically.

So what are my solutions for software? Are there any other tweaks I can do that I have overlooked? Would disabling the USB hosts (in device manager) work (but my MIDI keyboard and my Tascam US122 are both connected through USB)?

Are there any hardware solutions? I cannot afford a new computer, but a new USB-powered Soundcard to replace the Tascam? Is there even a guarantee that this would work? 

I'm at my wits end here, folks. Thank you!

Brandon Ryan [Roland]
Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3458
Re:Sonar Audio Dropouts (have searched the forum & pressed F1, still...) 2010/07/18 00:37:25 (permalink)
I now this isn't that helpful, but something is jacked. Your DPC latency is really too high. Some driver is likely causing havoc. You really dont' want it much higher than 500. Anything over 1000 is definitely troublesome.

For comparison sake, my desktop is at 11. Lots of the machines we use run around 40-60 or so. I have a laptop that sits around 300-400. 700-1100 seems like it is high enough to interrupt your realtime performance.

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." WG

SONAR Platinum | VS-700 | A-800 PRO | PCAL i7 with SSD running Windows 8 x64 | Samsung 27" LCD @ 1920x1080 | Blue Sky monitors with BMC | All kinds of other stuff
CJaysMusic
Re:Sonar Audio Dropouts (have searched the forum & pressed F1, still...) 2010/07/18 00:49:48 (permalink)
And I went into the Device manager, turned off WIFI, networking & modem, but to no avail.

That may not be good enough. You may have to go into the Bios to turn it off. Try it.
Cj

Audio Blog
lfm
Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2216
Re:Sonar Audio Dropouts (have searched the forum & pressed F1, still...) 2010/07/18 06:21:12 (permalink)
Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk
]

I now this isn't that helpful, but something is jacked. Your DPC latency is really too high. Some driver is likely causing havoc. You really dont' want it much higher than 500. Anything over 1000 is definitely troublesome.

For comparison sake, my desktop is at 11. Lots of the machines we use run around 40-60 or so. I have a laptop that sits around 300-400. 700-1100 seems like it is high enough to interrupt your realtime performance.

And I really hope it's microseconds, not milliseconds as stated in every post.

If ms, something is really wrong with computer. To avoid confusion, use 'us' as short for microseconds.
Kalle Rantaaho
Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7005
Re:Sonar Audio Dropouts (have searched the forum & pressed F1, still...) 2010/07/18 13:54:43 (permalink)
Turning off networking isn't enough if you have tens of thousands of pages in the browsing history. Do you remember to delete the browsing history regularily or do you have the settings to remove it automatically?

One guy had 34 000 pages in the memory. He sais his laptop was like new after deleting those.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
ba_midi
Re:Sonar Audio Dropouts (have searched the forum & pressed F1, still...) 2010/07/18 19:45:10 (permalink)
Kalle Rantaaho

Turning off networking isn't enough if you have tens of thousands of pages in the browsing history. Do you remember to delete the browsing history regularily or do you have the settings to remove it automatically?

One guy had 34 000 pages in the memory. He sais his laptop was like new after deleting those.

Browser histories will not affect latency at all.  It clogs up the drive, perhaps, but it has no affect on Sonar.
Wireless network cards/devices are constantly "polling", however, so it's wise to turn those off via the bios or via network control panel.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Kalle Rantaaho
Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7005
Re:Sonar Audio Dropouts (have searched the forum & pressed F1, still...) 2010/07/18 20:13:21 (permalink)
Well...the guy I refer to (it was here in one of the Sonar forums) was strugling to get Sonar working properly. I don't remember if it was dropouts or latency or what, but deleting the huge browsing history solved his problem.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
ba_midi
Re:Sonar Audio Dropouts (have searched the forum & pressed F1, still...) 2010/07/18 20:30:52 (permalink)
Kalle Rantaaho

Well...the guy I refer to (it was here in one of the Sonar forums) was strugling to get Sonar working properly. I don't remember if it was dropouts or latency or what, but deleting the huge browsing history solved his problem.

I don't want to seem skeptical, but I am.  There's no correlation between "Browser history" and Sonar other than they both use disk space.

There's no other way that could have made a difference.  He may have been low on disk space, or on "paging file" space.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

geetsifly
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 192
Re:Sonar Audio Dropouts (have searched the forum & pressed F1, still...) 2010/07/18 23:09:01 (permalink)
Latency check numbers that high sound like a misbehaving driver. Unfortunately you have to go through and disable them one at a time to find the culprit.

on my system the network drivers are problematic as well as the built in USB hub (don't ask me why).

With them disabled, my system will hover between 30 - 55 microseconds on a latency check. Otherwise it sits up in the hundreds.

Sonar Platinum / Windows 7 64 SP1 / Intel I7 / 12GB ram / RME Hammerfall 9632 Interface / BCF2000 Control Surface
Lets connect on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/geetsifly or Reverbnation: http://www.reverbnation.com/geetsifly
johnnyV
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2677
Re:Sonar Audio Dropouts (have searched the forum & pressed F1, still...) 2010/07/19 12:50:16 (permalink)
Sorry I didn't include the link to the dpclat meter, its from a strange web site too, But Yes your 1000us is way to high. My old laptop runs at 20-30us.

If you want my 2 cents, it is the fastest way to make all this work
1-Back up your personal data
2-Re-install OS
3-Optimize OS for DAW 
4-Install only the software you need for Music
5-Only go on line to update drivers for OS and Software.
(You don't need AV to do this)

If this doesn't work- throw your computer in the dust bin and buy another- there cheap..:)

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
 Scarlett 6i6
Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

Duke_of_boom
Re:Sonar Audio Dropouts (have searched the forum & pressed F1, still...) 2010/07/20 22:18:29 (permalink)
I damn near disabled every driver, including USB hosts & networking, internal sound card, etc, and still am getting latencies in the 1000 microsec range. I might get a cheap box and use it exclusively for music production.
ba_midi
Re:Sonar Audio Dropouts (have searched the forum & pressed F1, still...) 2010/07/20 23:15:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Duke_of_boom

I damn near disabled every driver, including USB hosts & networking, internal sound card, etc, and still am getting latencies in the 1000 microsec range. I might get a cheap box and use it exclusively for music production.

I remember seeing someone mention that the power settings affected their DPC latency.  I don't remember where the thread is, but if you search you might find it.   Seems setting things to maximum was the fix, if I remember correctly.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

devilcat78
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 57
Re:Sonar Audio Dropouts (have searched the forum & pressed F1, still...) 2010/07/21 10:05:37 (permalink)
You don't list any external or internal "audio only" drives. Do you have/use an audio drive in your setup?
brundlefly
  • Total Posts : 14250
Re:Sonar Audio Dropouts (have searched the forum & pressed F1, still...) 2010/07/21 10:27:44 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
I remember seeing someone mention that the power settings affected their DPC latency.

Here's a key post in that thread:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/fb.ashx?m=2056557

And here's another comprehensive thread on BIOS settings and other issues that can affect DPC.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=1935436&mpage=1

Duke_of_boom
Re:Sonar Audio Dropouts (have searched the forum & pressed F1, still...) 2010/07/21 22:34:30 (permalink)

I remember seeing someone mention that the power settings affected their DPC latency.  I don't remember where the thread is, but if you search you might find it.   Seems setting things to maximum was the fix, if I remember correctly. 

You tricky devil you!

That fixed it. I went into Control Panel -> Power Settings and it was on Power Saver. Changed it to Maximum Performance. Also, for safe measure as per the 1st link in brundlefly's post above and disabled in Device Manager Microsoft-ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery. (I always thought those Power Modes applied to Battery-Power only, not to AC-Power as well). 

Latency shot down the 45 microseconds!!!!!!!!!!! I am able to run Sonar without dropouts, with plugins, etc.

Thank you everyone for your patience and helping me solve this problem. Kudos to you all!

post edited by Duke_of_boom - 2010/07/21 22:35:36
CJaysMusic
Re:Sonar Audio Dropouts (have searched the forum & pressed F1, still...) 2010/07/21 22:39:05 (permalink)
Wow Brundlefty. Im impressed bro. Nice call!!!!
Cj

Audio Blog
ba_midi
Re:Sonar Audio Dropouts (have searched the forum & pressed F1, still...) 2010/07/21 22:39:19 (permalink)
Duke_of_boom

I remember seeing someone mention that the power settings affected their DPC latency.  I don't remember where the thread is, but if you search you might find it.   Seems setting things to maximum was the fix, if I remember correctly. 

You tricky devil you!

That fixed it. I went into Control Panel -> Power Settings and it was on Power Saver. Changed it to Maximum Performance. Also, for safe measure as per the 1st link in brundlefly's post above and disabled in Device Manager Microsoft-ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery. (I always thought those Power Modes applied to Battery-Power only, not to AC-Power as well). 

Latency shot down the 45 microseconds!!!!!!!!!!! I am able to run Sonar without dropouts, with plugins, etc.

Thank you everyone for your patience and helping me solve this problem. Kudos to you all!

Woo hoo!  Another mystery solved hehe

Make some gooooood music now :)

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

ba_midi
Re:Sonar Audio Dropouts (have searched the forum & pressed F1, still...) 2010/07/21 22:46:15 (permalink)
CJaysMusic

Wow Brundlefty. Im impressed bro. Nice call!!!!
Cj

/brag mode on

It was my call :P

/brag mode off

:D

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

CJaysMusic
Re:Sonar Audio Dropouts (have searched the forum & pressed F1, still...) 2010/07/21 22:48:03 (permalink)
Your right, it was!!! I take everything I said about Brundlefty and then some!!!!

Audio Blog
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1