Sonar + Fireface + yamaha 01v96?

Author
newfuturevintage
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1848
2005/08/12 13:34:38 (permalink)

Sonar + Fireface + yamaha 01v96?

Hi all--

silly question as I know how it's supposed to work, but in practice know things don't always work as they're supposed to.

I'll be recording a live gig tonight with 20 inputs to a laptop rig with a fireface. Fortunately, I've got transformer isolated splits from the stage. The first 16 ins will be going into a Yamaha 01v96 board, and into the fireface via light pipe. The remaing 4 will go into the Fireface's mic pre's.

For synchronization, I intend on taking the 01v96's word clock out into the fireface's WC input. The question is, if any of you have experience with this, have you had better luck with:

Syncing the FF via ADAT?
Using the FF as master and slaving the o1v96 to it?
syncing via spdif in either direction?

Oh, and I'll also be running these 20 ins via the fireface mixer to another laptop rig running nuendo for a semi-redundant recording. Am thinking looping the WC from the first fireface into the second will be the most appropriate way to sync the second system. Any opinions on this?

recording will be 24/48.

thanks!

My inner child is an angry drunk.

4 Replies Related Threads

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Sonar + Fireface + yamaha 01v96? 2005/08/12 13:43:44 (permalink)
    In most cases the word clock connection is the most reliable for clock, SPDIF on RCA plug would be my second choice, and ADAT last. As to what device gets to be the master you will just need to test for that and see what works best, that's all modern gear so any setting should work for them as long as one is the master clock and the other two get clock from that.

However, if you connect in digital to the other laptop interface (what is that one ?) then you have gone past two digital devices. Most studios go to a master clock when that is the case and make all three of them clock to it. That's going to cost money, so you could go ahead and try getting them all to work from the 01v96 clock to start with. But yeah.. if both sound cards have word clock in use that.
    newfuturevintage
    RE: Sonar + Fireface + yamaha 01v96? 2005/08/12 15:31:35 (permalink)
    However, if you connect in digital to the other laptop interface (what is that one ?) then you have gone past two digital devices. Most studios go to a master clock when that is the case and make all three of them clock to it. That's going to cost money, so you could go ahead and try getting them all to work from the 01v96 clock to start with.

The Nuendo station is also a fireface.

House sync isn't a huge deal between devices as no digital audio will be mixed together between stations. What's important is the ADAT streams are in sync with their target devices' clocks such that nothing pops. The Fireface reshapes the input word clock on its WC output when in slave mode, so it should be clean. We'll give that a go first unless someone has had a negative experience otherwise.

thanks, Frank.

newfuturevintage
    RE: Sonar + Fireface + yamaha 01v96? 2005/08/14 02:12:17 (permalink)
    Frank, thanks again.

Recording went off without a hitch save for some things beyond my control.

Like a percussionist playing a djembe with a mic mounted inside for 'boom'. A 57. Funny thing that. Sounds great except for one little problem. The infamous spinning head cover. Not too much a problem for static applications like vocals or drums, guitars...but for a hi-impact percussion instrument...whooeee!

I digress.

we went with word clock with the yamaha as the master, and looped from the first fireface's wc connection to the second unit's. No grief from either the sonar or the nuendo station.

it went so smoothly it was frightening.

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Sonar + Fireface + yamaha 01v96? 2005/08/14 02:55:42 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: newfuturevintage

Frank, thanks again.

Recording went off without a hitch save for some things beyond my control.

Like a percussionist playing a djembe with a mic mounted inside for 'boom'. A 57. Funny thing that. Sounds great except for one little problem. The infamous spinning head cover. Not too much a problem for static applications like vocals or drums, guitars...but for a hi-impact percussion instrument...whooeee!

I digress.

we went with word clock with the yamaha as the master, and looped from the first fireface's wc connection to the second unit's. No grief from either the sonar or the nuendo station.

it went so smoothly it was frightening.

Fantastic ! Glad to hear it.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1