Sonar Home Studio 6XL

Author
dp80
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2008/09/27 03:04:17 (permalink)

Sonar Home Studio 6XL

I have bought Sonar Home Studio 6XL and have never been so frustrated, confused and annoyed. After following the tutorial many times over, I get no sound through the computer even though I can see that the track is playing. Also, when playing and recording through my Peavey mixer and speakers the sound is excellent, but when playing a recorded track back, the sound is shocking!

When I bought the program, I was told that I would be able to record each channel individually when playing and singing at the same time. I cannot do this - it all records together on one channel.

I am a musician, not a sound engineer and do not have time to waste on this. If someone can give me some advice that is easy to understand, please do!!!

6 Replies Related Threads

jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Sonar Home Studio 6XL 2008/09/27 03:21:10 (permalink)
    Hi, and welcome to the forums

Frustration is understandable, but to help you we really need some more info from you,; PC specs and soundcard model for instance.

When I bought the program, I was told that I would be able to record each channel individually when playing and singing at the same time. I cannot do this - it all records together on one channel.

This will more than likely be soundcard setting problem, but again, we need to know what soundcard you have to be able to help.

Have a look at this thread for starters;

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1370491

I am a musician, not a sound engineer and do not have time to waste on this.

Well, to a large extent you'll need to put on a sound engineers hat on to use recording software successfully; there's a big learning curve, and it will take time. Stick with it though, the results are definitely worth it, you have a great program there!

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Nikolas
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 244
    RE: Sonar Home Studio 6XL 2008/09/27 11:33:57 (permalink)
    Take it from me. I was in the same boat. I eventually figured a few things out and now I feel fairly comfortable with the software. And wouldn't you know HS7XL is out!.

Jame is probably correct. It has to be your sound card settings. A huge improvement for me was getting a decent external sound card - M-Audio fast track pro. I highly suggest getting one and not try to use the internal sound card.

What's that screaching noise!

Dell Optiplex 755, 6550 dual core, 4G ram
    M-Audio Fast Track Pro
    Sonar 6 HSXL
    Violins and guitars

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=800951&content=music

Grehn
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: Sonar Home Studio 6XL 2008/09/27 14:55:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dp80

Your salesperson did not do a good job explaining to you what is required in order to actually do these things. Sometimes it can be difficult or impossible to get things working on a particular system. Not ALL computers are made for music production.

I am a musician, not a sound engineer and do not have time to waste on this.

With all due respect, this was probably not the tool for you to buy then. If I were your salesperson and you made this statement to me I would have steered you more in the direction of a digital audio recorder (TASCAM, KORG... that type of thing). Those units are literally as simple to use as plug in, press record, and do your thing. There is ZERO configuration or headache on your part.

My intent here is not to anger you... just to maybe reveal an option that you might not have been aware of.

For what it's worth, did you uncheck the "what-u-hear" option in your PC's mixer window? If this is checked on your PC, all audio that is sounding will be channeled back into your chain and be recorded... again!

Cheers,
    Curt
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: Sonar Home Studio 6XL 2008/09/27 15:32:28 (permalink)
    Hi dp80

As the guys have said, your soundcard/audio interface will place a physical limit on how many tracks you can record simultaneously.

Obviously if you're recording vocals and guitar into the same input, there is no way they can be separated into different destination tracks.

Even if you can input separately using the line-in and the mic inputs on your soundcard, you still need to have two distinct output feeds to send to different tracks in HS.

There certainly aren't many built in 'standard' PC soundcards that offer this feature, if yours does, it may be possible to achieve what you're after but you need to give the details asked for - remember we have no way of knowing what gear you're using.

Steve

typo
    post edited by SteveStrummerUK - 2008/09/27 15:37:03

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

daveny5
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: Sonar Home Studio 6XL 2008/09/27 15:35:41 (permalink)
    Well Tutorial1 is a horrible start for anyone and shame on Cakewalk for not updating it.

Tutorial1 was written when most users had real synths and keyboards. Now most people use softsynths and so they need to update the tutorial. Here's my version of it:

Sonar Home Studio comes with the Roland TTS-1 and a few other softsynths. Load Tutorial1.cwp and follow these instructions:
    1) View-Synth Rack
    2) Click the Insert DXi button (looks like an asterisk)
    3) Click on TTS-1 - Check First Synth Output and Synth Property Page checkboxes
    4) Edit Select All (to select all tracks)
    5) Track-Property-Output
    6) Select TTS-1 from the MIDI Outputs pulldown (that makes the TTS-1 the output for all MIDI tracks)
    7) Hit play

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    The Cosmic Lawnmower
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: Sonar Home Studio 6XL 2008/10/26 17:42:55 (permalink)
    I'm in the same boat as dp80. I have just bought HS6 having formerly used a digital 8 tracker. I've wanted to upgrade to a software recording system for a while, I registered and installed HS6 onto my pc this weekend. I'm using a Focusrite Saffire LE as my interface, I assume this is a perfectly satisfactory device for use with HS6? BTW I'm completely new to MIDI as well. I'm using a Yamaha CS2x as my MIDI controller.

Just trying to follow the tutorial and I'm really struggling to understand it... and feeling like a complete dumbass! I can't hear any sound, although it looks like the MIDI is working??

I'll have a try of the suggestion daveny5 posted, many thanks for that.

Anyone know if there are any really basic tutorials I can access on the net? Seems like I can't even get off first base with the Sonar tutorial, which is making me feel rather dim.

Thanks, sorry for the dumb newbie-ness.
    post edited by The Cosmic Lawnmower - 2008/10/26 17:48:12

HS6 / Focusrite Saffire LE / HP Pavilion A6504 / Vista Home Premium SP1 / 2.0GHz RAM /AMD Sempron Dual Core 2200 Processor.

The smell of fresh mown grass pervades my hairy nostrils!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1