Sonar (Kontakt) Memory Issue with Kontakt Window open. {SOLVED}

Author
garethcoker
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
2018/12/04 17:56:37 (permalink)

Sonar (Kontakt) Memory Issue with Kontakt Window open. {SOLVED}

Hi,

Discovered a unique issue. Not sure if it's a Kontakt issue or a Sonar issue. I've reported it to NI too.

I'm using the latest version of Kontakt / Sonar.

If a Kontakt window is left open and I Alt-Tab out of Sonar and do something in Chrome or another application, after a period of time, memory usage goes up and up. I tend to have multiple applications running on the studio computer at all times due to working in games, so I'm Alt-Tabbing/switching programs frequently.

Closing the Kontakt window immediately solves this, though closing the window takes longer than usual. This is due to the emptying/unloading (forgive the terminology) of whatever RAM usage 'leaked'.

Specs are i7 7980X, 128 GB RAM, OS is an M2 SSD, samples are 5 x 4 TB Samsung EVO SSDs. Windows 10 Pro.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. It's not a major issue, and it is solvable, but it's never happened before. It's either an issue with the new Kontakt, or Sonar.
post edited by garethcoker - 2018/12/15 06:42:39

5 Replies Related Threads

slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: Sonar Memory Leak with Kontakt Window open. 2018/12/04 19:30:42 (permalink)
    Could Kontakt be using memory to buffer samples instead of streaming from disk? It might be that it is using what it considers to be down time to fill the pre-load buffer. There is a setting to limit the size of the buffer it will use.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Sonar Memory Leak with Kontakt Window open. 2018/12/04 22:27:03 (permalink)
    That was my first thought, too, but I don't think that's a factor. Gareth says he can alleviate the symptom by closing the Kontakt UI. Background loading would continue even if the UI is closed.

I would let it run that way for a while and see if the memory reduction continues indefinitely or eventually stops.

Increasing memory usage isn't the same thing as leakage. The former can happen just because software is buffering a large amount of data (such as a sample library). The latter occurs when you close a program and some of the memory it had allocated while running is not relinquished.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: Sonar Memory Leak with Kontakt Window open. 2018/12/05 00:31:14 (permalink)
    bitflipper

Increasing memory usage isn't the same thing as leakage. The former can happen just because software is buffering a large amount of data (such as a sample library). The latter occurs when you close a program and some of the memory it had allocated while running is not relinquished.

Well said! 

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    garethcoker
    Re: Sonar Memory Leak with Kontakt Window open. 2018/12/05 01:59:04 (permalink)
    Forgive the incorrect use of terminology.

I should have mentioned, this went all the way to the extreme. I left my computer on overnight, and when I came back in the morning, the memory usage was up to >90% in SONAR. I'd left a Kontakt window open on the screen. This shouldn't be happening.

Background loading isn't it, even the longest loading libraries such as Joshua Bell Violin or Hans Zimmer Pianos load in seconds, rather than minutes. And regarding this, we're talking about hours of 'something' going into the RAM.

I've made a video of the issue which you can see here.

Direct link - https://gareth-coker.box....79ibg9l0xklhorjlq5.mp4

This is a very very light project, only 4 NKIs loaded. The RAM goes up while playing, while not playing. And then at the end, when I close the 2 Kontakt windows, it goes down from 5 GB to 4 GB usage. If I had the time/patience I could have waited an hour and it would have gone up and up, and then I'd close the window and the RAM would go back from whatever ridiculously high usage it would be after an hour, back to the 4 GB.

Stumped me. As I said, easy to solve. Just remember to close all windows. It does not appear to be an issue with other VSTis. I wonder if anyone else can recreate this issue. It's a very odd bug that I can live with, but it's not one I've encountered in all my years using SONAR.

garethcoker
    Re: Sonar Memory Leak with Kontakt Window open. 2018/12/15 06:42:01 (permalink)
    I finally figured this out.

Turns out it was an issue with Kontakt Quickload (latest version) constantly looking for 'something' that kept on upping the RAM. The Quickload circle was constantly spinning but it's so small I never really noticed it. 

I discovered this by simply running Kontakt as a standalone application.

Upon deleting the Quickload folder from User/AppData/Native Instruments/Kontakt/Quickload and then repopulating it, everything seemed to reset just fine. The RAM no longer increases endlessly and everything works as I would expect.

This would explain why this issue only appeared when the Kontakt window was open inside Sonar, as that is when the Quickload menu is active/populating. When you close the Kontakt window, the Quickload ceases to do its thing.

Leaving this here in case anyone comes across this pretty unique bug. Blame Kontakt/NI, not CbBL!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1