Sonar Platinum has lock up/crashes when using Dimension Pro looped/groove drums

Author
jfochtmann
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2015/04/25 18:54:57 (permalink)

Sonar Platinum has lock up/crashes when using Dimension Pro looped/groove drums

After painstaking hours trying to troubleshoot why several projects kept locking up, my bandmate and I tracked it down to Dimension Pro looped/groove drum patterns. (I'm not sure of exactly what they're called, but it's the Dimension Pro drum sounds that play the built-in sequenced patterns when you hold down a key in the lower octave of the keyboard.)

If we had one of those loaded in a project (even if we had just "auditioned" those sounds/patterns without actually having them triggered via midi in a project), then when playing back the project the system experiences various weird "lock up" situations, in which the transport and all other control of Sonar stopped working. There was no way to recover from the problems or exit Sonar gracefully, and we'd have to Ctrl-Alt-Del to shut down Sonar and then restart.

We were able to replicate the problem on two different Windows 8.1 systems both using ASIO, with different audio interfaces (Mackie Mixer and M-Audio M-Track Plus) and several different projects. Through process of elimination and numerous restarts of Sonar and some cold re-boots, we tracked it down to the Dimension Pro loop/groove drum patterns. We've had no further problems with "lock ups" or crashes since removing the instances of Dimension Pro that had those patches loaded.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

BTW, I've submitted the info above as a bug/problem report, but wanted to post here in case anyone else is experiencing frustrations with this same issue. Hope that's appropriate (I'm a long time Sonar users, but new to posting here).

Sonar Platinum, NI Komplete Ultimate, Arturia V Collection
Windows 8.1, 16GB ram, i7 processor
Mackie Onyx 1220i mixer, Roland RD-700, vintage synths (Ensoniq, Prophet 600, DX7, Roland D-110, Korg EX-8000, Korg EX-800)
Involved in various projects including

11 Replies Related Threads

BobF
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8124
    Re: Sonar Platinum has lock up/crashes when using Dimension Pro looped/groove drums 2015/04/25 19:48:53 (permalink)
    I have an outstanding problem with an Anderton program, but that's the only problem I've had with Dim Pro

Bob  --
    Angels are crying because truth has died ...
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    --
    Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
    Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
    Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

czyky
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 193
    Re: Sonar Platinum has lock up/crashes when using Dimension Pro looped/groove drums 2015/04/25 21:43:43 (permalink)
    huh! Just for giggles, tried your scenario, jfochtmann. Yep, the 2nd Dim Pro groove patch I tried playing back, locked Sonar up something fierce. I'm going to have to cold boot, which I haven't had to do in a long while. So I'm ending this post to reboot.

"I can't think of a single example of where a big company buying a small company has ultimately been good for consumers." --bitflipper
    www.reverbnation.com/markadamczyk
    www.adamczyk.com
    SimpleManZ
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 157
    Re: Sonar Platinum has lock up/crashes when using Dimension Pro looped/groove drums 2015/04/25 22:04:35 (permalink)
    Sadly, these presets has been observed for years now to be problematic.
    The situations can vary depending on the way they are used. 
    Standalone mostly goes without issues, for you can restart. In the sequencer, the bit depth and sample rate of your Project Template can affect performance results. Lockups/crashes can cause you to loose work if not actively saved. My best resolve is to freeze tracks or create a groove clip with about the flaky presets.
    Dim Pro went from DXi 32 bit to VST 64 bit now over the years.

Will be interesting to see how these perform with the new Raptor Pro.......... 
    Geo524
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 647
    Re: Sonar Platinum has lock up/crashes when using Dimension Pro looped/groove drums 2015/04/26 00:20:09 (permalink)
    Yup. I reported this problem years ago and the work around according to tech support was to copy the drum samples to Dimension LE and play the loops from there. Never did so I don't know if it works or not. 

Win 10 x 64; CbB; SPlat; MixCraft 8 Pro; AMD FX4130, 3.8 GHz; DDR3 32 GB Ram; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20; SSD 1TB, 2 x 1TB and 1 x 640 GB HDD; Mackie HR624 Monitors, KRK G2 Rockit 5's, Dual HP S2331 23" Monitors
    Music and SFX 
    http://www.radiosparx.com/georgeandmarguerite

jfochtmann
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: Sonar Platinum has lock up/crashes when using Dimension Pro looped/groove drums 2015/04/26 11:51:25 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the quick feedback everyone. I've now located some of those prior discussions on this topic (don't know how I missed seeing them when searching yesterday):
    (2015)
    (2014)
    (2012, including Geo524's previous sharing of the workaround--sorry to make you restate it again here)...

Ahh, looks like I can't post links yet for some reason (maybe I don't have enough posting history?). Anyway I found those older discussions by searching in Google under "sonar crash dimension pro drums"
    post edited by jfochtmann - 2015/04/26 12:03:51

Sonar Platinum, NI Komplete Ultimate, Arturia V Collection
    Windows 8.1, 16GB ram, i7 processor
    Mackie Onyx 1220i mixer, Roland RD-700, vintage synths (Ensoniq, Prophet 600, DX7, Roland D-110, Korg EX-8000, Korg EX-800)
    Involved in various projects including
    Doktor Avalanche
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4294
    Re: Sonar Platinum has lock up/crashes when using Dimension Pro looped/groove drums 2015/04/26 22:23:12 (permalink)
    I hope Rapture Pro will be better supported than Dimension Pro or Rapture in future. The state they were left in was not good. Cakewalk you now have a clean slate, but you still have yet to fix Z3TA+2 and pro channel plugin issues (which are still for sale).
    FCCfirstclass
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 969
    Re: Sonar Platinum has lock up/crashes when using Dimension Pro looped/groove drums 2015/04/27 15:25:20 (permalink)
    jfochtmann
    Thanks for all the quick feedback everyone. I've now located some of those prior discussions on this topic (don't know how I missed seeing them when searching yesterday):
    (2015)
    (2014)
    (2012, including Geo524's previous sharing of the workaround--sorry to make you restate it again here)...

Ahh, looks like I can't post links yet for some reason (maybe I don't have enough posting history?). Anyway I found those older discussions by searching in Google under "sonar crash dimension pro drums"

Hi and welcome to the forum.
    Yes, you need 25 posts to be able to do link shortcuts.   As far as Dim Pro goes, my experience is about the same as the other posters.

Win 10 Pro x64, 32Gb DDR3 ram, Sonar Platinum, Cubase 9.5, Mackie MCU Pro, Cakewalk VS 100, Roland Octa-Capture,  A 800 Pro, Carver M-1.5t amp & C4000 pre amp, various mics, drums and brass instruments.

And away we go!
    Anderton
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Sonar Platinum has lock up/crashes when using Dimension Pro looped/groove drums 2015/04/27 18:39:54 (permalink)
    Confirmed. There are certain loops that appear to contain poison 

As to the issue with the Gold Top, one person told me that they had issues with it that went away after re-installing Dimension Pro. That's pretty anecdotal, and only one person...but who knows. That probably won't fix the "poison loop" issue, though.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    BobF
    • Total Posts : 8124
    Re: Sonar Platinum has lock up/crashes when using Dimension Pro looped/groove drums 2015/04/27 19:42:33 (permalink)
    Anderton
    Confirmed. There are certain loops that appear to contain poison 

As to the issue with the Gold Top, one person told me that they had issues with it that went away after re-installing Dimension Pro. That's pretty anecdotal, and only one person...but who knows. That probably won't fix the "poison loop" issue, though.

I have an open case on that one.  I sent updated scenario tests to "Mike" several days ago, but haven't heard back.  It seems I'm an isolated case or nobody else uses GT at 48K  ;)

I'm letting it ride until I get Rap Pro installed.  My plan is to completely uninstalled Dim Pro and Rapture and their content.  Maybe the GT goodies will work after reinstalling.

It is very strange though ... I haven't had problems with with anything else in Dim Pro.

Bob  --
    Angels are crying because truth has died ...
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    --
    Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
    Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
    Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

Mychael628
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 105
    Re: Sonar Platinum has lock up/crashes when using Dimension Pro looped/groove drums 2015/11/24 09:58:19 (permalink)
    I can't believe I just found this post and that this problem has been going on for soooooo long. It is with the DRM GROOVES. They freeze SONAR PLATINUM EVERY TIME.

If anyone has a new work around, I'd love to hear it.

Singer-songwriter-radio personality.....
    Michael Stone
    Michael Stone Music
    Michael Stone BLOG
    AudioPros.com
    AudioPros BLOG
    Michael Stone Radio BITS
    Sonar PLATINUM - Dell XPS 750-  6 GB ram - Windows 7 - Intel i7 CPU -920 @ 2.67 ghz- 64 bit -
    Korg digital piano - Rode NT1 - Shure SM7 - Ovation - Ibanez Elec - Fender Telecaster -Wechter Acoustic

betelgeuse
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Sonar Platinum has lock up/crashes when using Dimension Pro looped/groove drums 2018/12/26 00:31:34 (permalink)
    Just to confirm, I have this exact problem with the poison loops.  Spent hours troubleshooting driver issues, but it was dim pro all along.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1