Sonar Producer 5, Win 7 and Axiom 25

Author
kevin_bkt
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
2010/08/10 23:09:02 (permalink)

Sonar Producer 5, Win 7 and Axiom 25

I have a copy of Sonar Producer 5 I haven't used for a few years.  I recently got a new machine running Windows 7 64-bit and decided to dust off Sonar and my Axiom 25 and get them up and running again.

For the most part, I've gotten everything working smoothly.  But there's one exception, and it's one I can't figure out.  For some unknown reason, the bottom 5 keys on my Axiom aren't being seen by Sonar.  I'm using the USB connection, because I don't have a MIDI interface.  At first I thought it might be an issue with the Axiom, but I can see that ALL of the keys are being received by the computer, since the system tray icon lights up.   And all except for those bottom 5 are being recognized by Sonar.  This is regardless of the MIDI channel I'm using, or the transpose setting on the Axiom.

If anyone has any ideas as to what might be going on here, I'd appreciate some help!

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

12 Replies Related Threads

daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    Re:Sonar Producer 5, Win 7 and Axiom 25 2010/08/10 23:13:33 (permalink)
    Depends on which softsynth and sound you are using. Some of the Dimension Pro sounds only span the range of the instrument and not the full range of the keyboard. Try Pentagon. It should recognize the full keyboard.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    jcatena
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 404
    Re:Sonar Producer 5, Win 7 and Axiom 25 2010/08/10 23:27:33 (permalink)
    Remember that the axiom 25 can be configured to use the lower keys as control buttons that send whatever midi message you want instead of note events, and that those keys are also used as inputs to config parameters. Probably you loaded a config that uses the lower keys for automation (maybe transport control?) or you are in a config parameter entry mode.
    The other axioms with more keys have more dedicated buttons and don't usually use the the keys for any other function, but still you could assign whatever to a key.
    To be sure of what's happening, record the midi and see in the event list view what those keys are actually generating. If they are not note on and off events, all you need is to load the right config bank, one that uses all the keys for note events.

post edited by jcatena - 2010/08/10 23:31:03

Jose Catena
    DIGIWAVES, S.L.
    kevin_bkt
    Re:Sonar Producer 5, Win 7 and Axiom 25 2010/08/11 01:42:13 (permalink)
    Jose,

Thanks for all the useful info.  I suppose it's possible my Axiom has gotten into a weird state.  But I don't think that's all that's going on.  When I record, I don't see anything in the MIDI event list for those keys.

Any thoughts?

Kevin
    jcatena
    Re:Sonar Producer 5, Win 7 and Axiom 25 2010/08/11 08:32:26 (permalink)
    Well, those keys are sending something because the midi i/o indicator lits when you play them.
    If they are not being recorded by sonar, probably these are not note events, and the specific messages are being filtered out according to sonar's record filter. Try then the learn function when assigning midi automation to a knob to see what the keys are sending.
    Anyway, the solution should be to load a config bank in the axiom that uses those keys as regular note events. Check the axiom's manual to find how to load configs, or to verify and change what's assigned to those keys. Be sure that "advanced function" button is not lighting, it changes keys to function buttons, although i don't think that's the cause coz there are much more than just 5.
    You may also check sonar record filter or to transpose the keyboard 1 octave up to be sure that these are not filtered note events.

post edited by jcatena - 2010/08/11 08:46:00

Jose Catena
    DIGIWAVES, S.L.
    kevin_bkt
    Re:Sonar Producer 5, Win 7 and Axiom 25 2010/08/11 14:37:40 (permalink)
    Unforunately, it looks like M-Audio is not supporting their Axiom config tool on Win 7 64-bit, and have no plans to.  This leaves me having to figure out how my controller is working and straightening it out by hand. 

I know it's not as simple as having the Axiom in "advanced" mode.  Can you explain what you meant by "try the learn function when assigning midi automation to a knob...."?

Thanks,

Kevin
    jcatena
    Re:Sonar Producer 5, Win 7 and Axiom 25 2010/08/11 16:33:47 (permalink)
    Can you explain what you meant by "try the learn function when assigning midi automation to a knob...."?
    Right click in a sonar any buttor or control and select "remote control". A dialog pop ups and you'll find there a "learn" button. Press it and then press the key in the axiom and Sonar should show what was received.

Jose Catena
    DIGIWAVES, S.L.
    kevin_bkt
    Re:Sonar Producer 5, Win 7 and Axiom 25 2010/08/11 18:25:28 (permalink)
    Thanks for the clarification.  That's a pretty cool feature!  Unfortunately, it didn't tell me anything.  I can see the note values for the other keys on the keyboard using that method, and I can even see how my pitch bend, modulation wheel, etc. are configured.  But those bottom five keys on the keyboard produce no output in "learn" mode.  From Sonar's point of view, there seems to be nothing coming in from them.

I've also been reading up on control configuration in the Axiom.  It looks like they keyboard is treated as a single control, and you can't map individual keys to different MIDI CCs.  So I'm really puzzled as to what's going on here.

Kevin
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:Sonar Producer 5, Win 7 and Axiom 25 2010/08/11 18:54:20 (permalink)
    there is a master reset on the axiom 61.. you looked in the manual for that for yours

thats first thing

that will rid you of any "transpose" you might have done..

as for the midi connectivity, well you'd see if it was sending something next to the clock on the right

the piano

try the trial of sonar 8.5... if that works, well points to 5 being too old for win 7 perhaps

kevin_bkt
    Re:Sonar Producer 5, Win 7 and Axiom 25 2010/08/13 12:23:28 (permalink)
    My concern about the master reset is that M-Audio does not support their software on Win 7 64-bit, so while I can reset the keyboard, I wouldn't be able to reload the factory defaults.

I do see in the system tray that the Axiom is sending to the computer, for every key.

I guess that leaves me with trying a newer version of Sonar.  :-(
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:Sonar Producer 5, Win 7 and Axiom 25 2010/08/13 12:30:55 (permalink)
    it resets it to as when it was bought in the shop, hence the term "factory" reset.

email m-audio , but you tried running the axoim editor in compat mode? I haven't bothered using it tbh.

kevin_bkt
    Re:Sonar Producer 5, Win 7 and Axiom 25 2010/08/16 19:51:56 (permalink)
    Okay, I've finally tried the Axiom with Sonar Producer 8 64-bit and am seeing the same behavior.  The only difference is that in Producer 8, the audio level bars not only show the dynamic volume, but they also have an indicator at one end that seems to flash when MIDI events are received.  Here, when the 'bad' keys are pressed, there isn't any audio level but that indicator flashes just as it does for any other key.  So clearly, the Axiom is generating something that's reaching Sonar.  It just doesn't know what to do with it, since it doesn't even appear as a non-note event in the event view.

As for the Enigma software, I haven't tried running it in compatability mode.  At this point, I don't think I have any choice but to give that a try.
    kevin_bkt
    Re:Sonar Producer 5, Win 7 and Axiom 25 2010/08/16 23:37:22 (permalink)
    Well, it turned out to be the keyboard configuration after all.  I reset it and now it works fine.  All that hassle for such a simple thing!

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice on this.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1