Helpful ReplySonar Road Map for the future?

Author
Tosmurf
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9
2016/08/10 08:31:45 (permalink)

Sonar Road Map for the future?

I run a small recording business. I decided it is time to change my DAW and leave protools.

Last weekend i tested 3 possible DAWs Sonar, reaper and S1.

In performance reaper won, but sonar was not far behind. S1 is redicolous. What a resource hog. Not useable with my standart vst use. If i dont wanna freez a lot of tracks.

In workflow and GUI - S1 won for me. Most intuitive GUI i ever used. Sonar is not that far behind again. And Reaper - to be honest i googled more how to do things than i actually did things in my test mix XD.

So seems like sonar is the DAW for me. BUT ...

Is there a  Road Map from the DEVS, which parts of the DAW gets reworked or updated in the near future? Cause there are functions in sonar that made me shake my head ;).

... more feedback ...

I mean the Pro channel is nice to have. But like every "real" DAW user i have my favourite go to VSTs. So i will not  use the pro channel that much. 
The VST effect rack has a really bad workflow. Maybe that is only in the Demo?!? But i could not see  if the VST is on or off. Mouse over turned it "blue" the on/offbutton disapears if you move the mouse away from the effect rack. A real confusing visual representation.
 The "vst by pass host button" dont change anything in the consol vst rack - I mean visualy - i turn the VST by pass host button on  and no visual feedback in the consol vst rack.  
Really a mess. Or simply to hard to understand for me. Maybe i dont get how it works. But i had to click the on/off button several times and check by ear if my vst is on or off. 

Markers - only black markers? Really that is the poorest visual feedback of a song structure i ever saw in a modern DAW. Maybe i did not check the right function. Or i overlooked something.

Sure there are awesome futures... Gain knob in the consol view!!! Setting up a initial gain structure for a mix in seconds. I love it.
Every track has its own wave peak meter and zoom. Awesome...

There are  a lot more little functions i really like. I just mentioned the 2 above as an example. But i have to ballance reasons. If that small functions are worth the flaws of sonar. That it shows in my workflow.

(Sorry my english isnt very well)

Zargg
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10666
Re: Sonar Road Map for the future? 2016/08/11 06:28:29 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Tosmurf 2016/08/11 11:25:56
Hi, and welcome to this forum. You can use your favorite plugins in the Pro Channel using FX Chains 
Here are some of the plans for the future: https://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR/Rolling-Updates
All the best.

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

Zargg
Re: Sonar Road Map for the future? 2016/08/11 06:29:10 (permalink)
You can also save the FX chains, to use as "rack presets".

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

Tosmurf
Re: Sonar Road Map for the future? 2016/08/11 11:18:39 (permalink)
Thanks for the answers. I will make another  test ( with my co workers) next weekend. But I think we will change our studio to sonar. Cause compared to other DAWs out there it seems really to be the go to DAW at the moment in terms of performance, features, GUI/workflow (not that hard to learn ) and price.
Tosmurf
Re: Sonar Road Map for the future? 2016/08/11 11:28:21 (permalink)
Ok sold we have a softtube console 1 worklace. ;) Thanks for that link thats what i was looking for
Zargg71
Hi, and welcome to this forum. You can use your favorite plugins in the Pro Channel using FX Chains 
Here are some of the plans for the future: 
All the best.

Zargg
Re: Sonar Road Map for the future? 2016/08/11 15:59:39 (permalink)
Tosmurf
Thanks for the answers. I will make another  test ( with my co workers) next weekend. But I think we will change our studio to sonar. Cause compared to other DAWs out there it seems really to be the go to DAW at the moment in terms of performance, features, GUI/workflow (not that hard to learn ) and price.

You will also find this forum invaluable, if you encounter any issues. The will to help here is only surpassed by the knowledge

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ

taccess
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 534
Re: Sonar Road Map for the future? 2016/08/13 20:04:26 (permalink)
You will also find this forum invaluable, if you encounter any issues. The will to help here is only surpassed by the knowledge.

Amazing people live here , thanks everyone .

z800 Dual x5690
NvME 256gb 950Pro / Win10
LSI  MegaRaid
Nvidia 450 GTS
96GB 1366MHZ
RME Babyface
Soulburned
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 53
Re: Sonar Road Map for the future? 2016/08/15 03:18:19 (permalink)
Indeed the pro-channel features are nice.  You don't have to use the Channel strip at all and can simply just view the regular "Track" or "bus" view.  Keep in mind that the pro channel modules can be set so that you have a "default" strip available in every session, every track or bus gets created with those defaults - bypassed by default.  The pro-channel strip can easily be set to pre- or post FX Bin as well.  While you can remove many of these modules, only the Pro-Channel EQ module is hard-coded to stay as part of the strip, but there are many reasons why you may want to keep this in place. 
Two very big core reasons for this experience:
  • Instantly accessible high-quality parametric Equalizer.
  • Quick access to spectrum analyzer via the fly-out.

As others have mentioned, this forum is quite invaluable - probably one of the most active forums and responsive compared to the DUC (Digidesign/avid user forums), second supposedly ONLY to REAPER's forums, only because the community is such a big source of their development process (sort of like how Epic Games has gone completely public with their game-engine roadmap).

This forum has a Feature Requests sub-forum which there have been several feature requests posted elaborating on just the sort of concerns you've mentioned here. 
I've even launched and outlined several of my own feature requests I'd like to see happen in future versions of Sonar, and perhaps the best time to get into Sonar as a DAW platform is now.  They may still be offering the lifetime updates program.  At the very least, their rolling updates always provide a "roadmap" of what's being enhanced or added in each version, as well as "what's in the oven" that they're currently working on. 

I've been working with Sonar since v5 and the daw has only become more and more stable over the years.  X series has been perhaps the most stable, and feature-rich I've had to work with, and I've gone to school for Recording Arts - learned on Pro Tools LE7, M-Powered 8, PT7 HD rigs, PT 10 native, 11 native, 12 HD native... and Avid has just completely destroyed their ecosystem between versions 10 and 11, gouging their marketplace by changing out legacy models and introducing AAX and then again changing their architecture over in an entirely different version and forcing yet another break in their marketplace as the developers had to then code 64-bit only versions of their AAX, while still supporting the many users completely avoiding the upgrades. 

So much confusion and ecosystem breaking going on there, that absolutely enabled other fledgling DAWS to come up quick in the marketplace - Studio One is indeed a fast-growing platform,  Reaper seems to be growing the fastest, but even some long-standing platforms like Steinberg's Cubase (and even Nuendo) have gained some marketshare over the last couple of years due to the fallout and lack of support and unclear direction Avid has taken with Pro Tools.  Several high-profile artists were pretty public about voicing their switch away from their large PT HD rigs in favor of Cubase and smaller-footprint on hardware - and were happy about the less costly solution they ended up taking; including Voicians, Celldweller (Klayton), and more.

If anything, Cubase may still have a 1-up on Sonar for large digital production workflows such as Deadmau5 and Celldweller's Euro-rack-centric workflows.  Even Tom Holkenborg (JunkieXL) has plenty of video walkthroughs showing his setup of some rather LARGE production setups and networked PC's for sample-farming with his orchestration work.  That's something I definitely wish I could reach for but for now, being able to work with Track Templates (which you can create your own custom ones including their Bus routing and FX) and Freezing tracks is a HUGE boon to time-saving and efficient workflows for those working on single-system production.
ricoskyl
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 327
Re: Sonar Road Map for the future? 2016/09/06 23:37:30 (permalink)
I might add that some (all?) of your GUI concerns can be addressed with the theme editor.

If you want to make enemies, try to change something. -Woodrow T. Wilson
Turbulence is a life force. It is opportunity. Let’s love turbulence and use it for change. -Ramsay Clark
----------------------
Sonar Platinum Win 10 x64 on HP Pavilion i7 5500 12Gb RAM, Tascam US-16x08, NVidia 840 8Gb vram, Multi-Screen, Multi-Touch
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Sonar Road Map for the future? 2016/09/07 08:55:57 (permalink)
Tosmurf
Is there a  Road Map from the DEVS, which parts of the DAW gets reworked or updated in the near future?

http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR/Rolling-Updates#start

just a sec

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1