Sonar Studio 8.5 and Garage Band Collaboration

Author
ardjunc
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 39
2010/08/18 11:15:06 (permalink)

Sonar Studio 8.5 and Garage Band Collaboration

Hello,

I recently purchased Studio 8.5 and would like to begin collaborating with another musician using Garage Band. We are entertaining the idea of trading tracks uploaded/downloaded to a communal server.

It looks like Garage Band only supports the AIF format. I believe Sonar 8.5 supports the AIF format as well. If this is the case, then the issue of finding a common format is solved.

The other issue we are facing is the best way to keep the tracks in sync. The BW format seemed ideal until I discovered that Garage Band does not support the format. Hopefully other Sonar users have experience collaborating with Garage Band users and can offer some advice.

Thanks. 

1 Reply Related Threads

Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    Re:Sonar Studio 8.5 and Garage Band Collaboration 2010/08/18 13:39:58 (permalink)
    I've never collaborated with anyone usign GB (call me a snob...), but i've done a couple with non-sonar users.
    Depending on the style of music and workflow, these 2 ways have worked for me:
    1.  Record clips exported to WAV with things like "Chorus rhythm guitar."  This leaves it for the other person to insert the clip in the appropriate place.
    2.  Record the track (as audio) and make sure all clips are bounced to one.  Then, drag the left edge of the clip back so that it starts at 0:00:000. 
    As long as you've agreed on the exact tempo, you should be fine with placing the correct parts in the correct places.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1